Old 08-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Just visited a beautiful 42' Sedan with a single Cat last weekend in the San Juans. It's a boat to lust over for sure!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Just visited a beautiful 42' Sedan with a single Cat last weekend in the San Juans. It's a boat to lust over for sure!
Thanks, Bob. Do you happen to know that 42' sedan's vintage? Presumably the Cat was a 3208.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
I don't remember what year she was probably late 80's. Beautiful fiberglass boat loaded with kids out on an adventure! He did say she was one of 11 that were built and no he would not sell it to me.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I spent some time hunting 42 singles about 3-4 years ago.

There was a 42 (Banks Strait) with a Gardner 6LXB single for sale privately in Tasmania. The Gardner was factory fitted. William was the 3rd owner, and it had been berthed alongside his previous boat for 13 years before he bought it. He had spent a few years doing refit ready for lots of cruising but then a health issue intervened (stroke) and he had to sell. I almost inspected, but in my opinion he wanted too much money for it at the time and he was not willing to negotiate on price. One unusual thing is that it had a 6 blade prop, probably because diameter is more limited with a single.

At the time there was also a 42 single (Meriwether) for sale in Washington State. It had an old John Deere 6404, and was 1974 year.

I did look at a single in Seattle that had a Cat 3208 in it (Golden Bough), which for some reason was mounted quite high. There was also one with a single 300HP Cat 3116 (Diane) for sale in Portland, OR.

They were about, but not sure if they still are. They are likely to be early 1980's models. It seemed to me that if you only intend running at displacement speeds then a single would be the best option. It also gave more space in what is a pretty cramped ER.
All very helpful, Brian - thanks! Were these all or mostly split-cabin classics? Or were these singles dispersed among the Europa-Sedan-MY styles, too? Particularly concur with your final two sentences.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
All very helpful, Brian - thanks! Were these all or mostly split-cabin classics? Or were these singles dispersed among the Europa-Sedan-MY styles, too? Particularly concur with your final two sentences.
They were all Classics. I wasn't interested in the other configurations at the time, so may not have noted any that were for sale.

Tags
grand banks, single-engine