Old 04-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #21
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
That lifestyle isn't my idea of a good time....but I do respect the many sailors who cross ocean's in small boats. Gritty.
Quite a number of times over the past few weeks my better half has basically stated that if we had bought a sailboat we would not be doing long trips!

Maybe fun when young, but not a way to enjoy retirement.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #22
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Quite a number of times over the past few weeks my better half has basically stated that if we had bought a sailboat we would not be doing long trips!

Maybe fun when young, but not a way to enjoy retirement.
We're right there with you, brother.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
There often is the issue of what people can afford to go cruising. Many never get to the level described.

And many wouldn't condem another person for what others can afford....they might raise an eyebrow or two depending on how it was earned.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #24

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
It really isn't so much a sail vs. power thing. Any modern 53' sailboat has large fuel tanks, a genset, watermaker, shower, and likely laundry. And a 29' powerboat likely doesn't.
Indeed. Nothing in this thread is really related to Sail vs Power. Lots of small power boats and lots of posh sailboats out there.

There are a large number of very poorly behaved power boaters and sailors dumping their sewage in the waterways and generally acting like schmucks.

There are also a large number of power boaters and sailors living with all the comforts of home.
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Some of the nicest, most conscientious people I've ever met were "simple sailors".

And, some of the nicest, most conscientious people I've ever met were "decadent powerboaters".

Conversely, some of the rudest a-holes I've ever met were "simple sailors".

And, some of the rudest a-holes I've ever met were "decadent powerboaters".

Hmmm... Kinda like people in general!

LOL
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #26

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
I friend of mine recently purchased a 38 foot sailing vessel and the first thing he did was remove the microwave oven, the water heater ,and the shower in the head was removed and the space was used for storage.
I was dumbfounded, I just dont get it.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
I friend of mine recently purchased a 38 foot sailing vessel and the first thing he did was remove the microwave oven, the water heater ,and the shower in the head was removed and the space was used for storage.
I was dumbfounded, I just dont get it.
Does he have a significant other?

His boat and his choice to live a simpler boating life, but what would concern me is the resale. Has he kept it all to put back in?
Old 04-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #28

He lives on the boat alone, and did not keep any of it, because he would have keep it on the boat. I believe he plans to live out the rest of his life on this boat.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #29

He lives on the boat alone, and did not keep any of it, because he would have to keep it on the boat. I believe he plans to live out the rest of his life on this boat.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
It can be difficult keeping track regarding who doesn’t like who. Paddlers just paddle, and ignore the drama. A good thing.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #31

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine R View Post
remove the microwave oven
Everyone cooks differently, but I also remove the microwave. Just not worth the space it takes up. The previous owner of my boat removed the oven and put a microwave in its place. That is deranged IMO. I can't live without an oven.
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
It can be difficult keeping track regarding who doesn’t like who. Paddlers just paddle, and ignore the drama. A good thing.
Now don't be bringing who likes and doesn't like who into the conversation - this is more chosen life style, and the original tougue-in-cheek question was; am I a bad person for liking my creature comforts!
Old 04-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #33
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
am I a bad person for liking my creature comforts!
Nope! Just as the person who eschews creature comforts is not a bad person, either.

It is the person who is arrogantly self-righteous of either chosen way that is annoying...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Nope! Just as the person who eschews creature comforts is not a bad person, either.

It is the person who is arrogantly self-righteous of either chosen way that is annoying...
Yep, in fact that lady on the cat who was drying the bed sheets? She has had full loads of washing drying on her rails both the last two days(looks like mostly t-shirts). Guess what, they have four teenagers trolling around in their dinghy, picking up other kids from other boats and heading off to the beach! Turning up hours later.

What's not to love!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #35

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDC View Post
We have done both.

30 years ago we cruised an older 40' steel ketch. Very simple. Did not have: inside showers, hot water heater, HVAC, holding tank, water maker, generator, freezer, autopilot, chart plotters, cameras, radar....

We did have a single 55 hp industrial Ford engine, Aeries wind vane, 5 HP/roll-up dinghy, one manual salt water head, 100 gal water tank, 80 gal diesel tank, an RDF, an old depth depth finder, VHF, paper charts and one battery bank. While cruising we installed a roller furling genoa, SSB, sextant, hand-held GPS and small wind generator. No car, no house. No broker, no insurance. Before cell phones and internet.

Yet we cruised for an enjoyable 5 years, 13K miles at 4-6 knots via the Med, transatlantic, east-south-west Caribbean. Stayed many months in Italy, Greece , Spain, Grenada/Trinidad, Panama, Guatemala and Belize.

Now we have a 30 year old, twin screw, heavy displacement 45 ton trawler with multiple aging but well backed up systems. In a year we have covered 2K miles at 6-7 knots and now in the Bahamas.

Real differences: (+) space, comfort, ice; (-) our age, complexity, cost, maintenance time, roll. Improvements in communications, WX information and electronic charts are the same for power and sail. Although the boat is capable, we probably will not undertake more than 3 day crossings.

At this point I would call it an even trade-off. In general we feel that sailors live closer to the water, weather and have easier interactions with local culture. Respect is due.

Everyone enjoys the same surrounding nature and culture, no matter what you have. And, as noted above, there is always a bigger and better boat around the corner.
I have also done both -- sailing is an art- power boating is boring boring boring and destinations are very limited . I remember cruising down island in 1971 -didn't see hardly any power boats in Caribbean except very large ones with paid crews - the owners flew in as they were afraid of the open sea.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #36

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
When you are at the fuel dock buying 500 gallons of diesel, the sailors are going to look lovingly at their couple of yellow Jerry cans!

I agree with DCDC posts, "At this point I would call it an even trade-off. In general we feel that sailors live closer to the water, weather and have easier interactions with local culture. Respect is due."

The bottom line, however, is that it sounds like everyone was enjoying a beautiful anchorage!

Jim
That 500 gallons will only last him about 40 hours -its more like 1000 gallons at $4 or $4000. LOL after all he must run his generator all the time.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Hobe Sound FL
Vessel Name: CORISANDE SHADOW
Vessel Model: PDQ 41
I had a 28 ft wooden Friendship Sloop with an ice box, and no oven which I spent several weeks on for a few summers in Maine. I had as much fun as I have had on my gadget laden powerboats, but had to call into shore more often for the showers I am addicted to. The most luxurious thing I had was a Nespresso machine, which requires a true sine wave inverter. ( I found out the hard way)
The one piece of equipment I wish I didn’t have to have is a phone!
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #38
Guru

City: Boston Area
This is a slippery slope....2 of them actually. There's nothing wrong with enjoying your creature comforts or the benefits of your wealth.....but when does it become gloating ?? There are angels and arseholes in any large group, and categorizing an entire group of people, based on one criteria, ( like method of boat propulsion ) is painting with too broad a brush.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 PM   #39
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Non qui parum habet, sed qui plus cupit, pauper est.

(It is not the man who has little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.)
- Seneca Philosophus, Epistulae morales
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 AM   #40
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Oh boy.. what a thread.

When we did our bluewater cruise of the Pacific in the early 90's we did it in a 35' boat with a watermaker. ssb, gsp plotter, weather fax, could make ice, had a instant hot water heater and most of the comforts of home. 90% of the boats had at least as much in the way of amenities as we had. There were a small percentage of boats that were simple cruisers.. we knew of two guys on a 25' boat that actually shared 1 knife, 1 fork and one spoon... no electronics.. no nothing.

The same folks that would dry camp across the states in a old van are the same type of folks that sail simple. The cool thing is we all get to experience the same views, sunsets, pain of the voyage, rough weather and the thrill of pulling into a new port after a ocean voyage.

We met a couple power cruisers in the years we were out, it wasn't that common to cross oceans under power as it is now. The thing is it's the experience of the voyage, not the way you get there.

We are planning to go out cruising again, not sure if it will be under power or sail.. mono hull or cat ( prefer a cat for the speed ) .. the goal is to just get out there.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote