Silicone spray vs. WD40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cosmo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shear Bliss
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 44
I am in the process of installing new stainless risers but having a heck of a time separating 5” exhaust hose from iron riser. I’ve tried the traditional pry tools with the use of WD40. Haven’t broken the bond yet. Will silicone spray be any more effective than WD?

I have tried using wife’s crafty heat gun to no avail. Before I butcher the hose and wrestle a new hose on, I wanted to see about Silicone success rate and/or going to Harbor F and buying a hotter heat gun.

Working space on this engine (starboard) is also a factor.

Thanks

Greetings,
Mr. C. I'm NOT a fan of silicone in ANY form. Have you tried soapy water yet? I've found, in the past, that IF you can slip a very thin screwdriver in between the hose and the fitting, douse it well with lube (NOT silicone), you might be able to "walk" the screwdriver around the fitting by turning the handle. Eventually, it will break loose and clean up with the soapy water is simply a matter of rinsing with clean water.

How old is the hose? Why wait until it is on the verge (or past) failure?? Since it's apart, isn't now a great time to change it? After all, it is a regularly serviced item to begin with.

Thank you both for the info. I will try the soapy water and when reinserting new riser.

I was hoping to salvage the hose as it is only 6 years old. PO had
hoses replaced prior to our purchase. New hose may be on the horizon if I can’t
break the bond between old riser and hose.

Is the riser unbolted from the motor ?? If the riser is mobile it may give you more leverage to seperate it from the hose.

Surprised that a 6 year old hose is stuck on that tight. Hoses are stuck for two reasons, probably both at work in your case.

For old hoses the metal that it is attached to corrodes and forms a bond between the hose and the riser. Heat and silicone spray won't do much good. You need to break the bond by prying the hose up all around. WD40 or similar will help, but not much.

The other thing is the hose develops corrugations that grab on to the protrusions of the riser and won't let it slip off. Heat will soften the hose and let it slip off easier. A hair dryer doesn't heat it fast enough or to high enough temps. You need to get the hose up to almost 200 F. I use a cheap hot air gun.

Sometimes going back and forth between WD40 and prying and heat to soften the rubber will finally work.

David

Yep, already unbolted.

Wet exhaust hose should have lifespan of 10-20 years. Though IMHO 10 is when it should be inspected with scrutiny. If apart for something else, it gets replaced at that age. Again IMHO 20 years is around when it has a high probability of failing. I don't like letting it get that old.

6 should be re-usable. If I have to beat the hose up badly, I replace it.

Personally I would go ahead and change the hose. Defender sells it by the foot. I had to cut my hose to get it off. I made cuts parallel to the hose and took a hacksaw and cut the wire. Then it came off fairly easily. The new hose went right on easily.

Buy a large "hose pick" and it will get in between the hose and riser no problem.

Jay, been down that road. Unfortunately, where the riser makes a sharp bend and meets the hose, i'm not able to get a pick/long skinny screwdriver in there far enough without poking at the hose. I tried prying it up and spraying WD in there to no avail. Brings me back to starting point. It really is a difficult work area.

I’ve been fixin’ $#it all my life! Sometimes when you get a difficult job in an even more difficult spot you kind of hit the wall and start thinking “I can’t do this!” It’s a mental thing!! Sounds like you are trying all the right things to get the hose off that should have some life left. What would a $150/hr tech do? Probably the same things you are trying and would likely just cut the hose and replace it anyway. And bill you to change it! Good try at salvaging the hose!! You will feel good about the job with all new parts that you did yourself!!

Once you get it off the mating surface it will probably require extensive scraping and cleaning to make a questionable seal that will keep you awake at night. If it isn't too difficult to get o the other end of the hose I agree with the replace it suggestions.

Silicone spray makes things slippery, but it's not for penetrating a tight fit. Once apart, it can help sliding the hose over the pipe.

I too have had good luck with the small screwdriver driven in with WD40 alongside all around until you can twist it and pull it off. No fan of silicone spray aboard either.

Back
Top Bottom