Old 02-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Sign and Glide Vs BoatUS towing

I recently changed my boat policy over to Progressive, and it came with something they call Sign and Glide towing. There is a separate app that I can use to request a tow that has my coordinates on it already. Pretty cool.

Iíve been a BoatUS tow member and I just got a renewal letter for that, so my question is do I need to renew or is the Sign and Glide sufficient for here in the US? Has anyone ever used it before?

https://www.progressive.com/boat/cov...-water-towing/

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
CD: What are the navigation limits for it? Will it cover you in the Bahamas? Towed to the nearest point of repair? Who determines that? Progressive looks ok for local but if I were cruising, I’d keep BoatUS.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
You are still going to get towed by BoatUS or Sea Tow or whomever...

They are taking the usually built in towing, then adding another little cost and hoping their numbers are good enough to make it all work.

We know the major tow companies have it pretty wired, all this does is undermine their ability to make money. I know, cry them a river...but my old boss used to say this creeping in of the insurance companies would hurt the assistance tow business and ultimately it is their boats and captains that come out for you.

I can't really say how it will work out...but I would love to know the hidden costs in the average insurance policy when they offer some free towing line item anyway.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
CD: What are the navigation limits for it? Will it cover you in the Bahamas? Towed to the nearest point of repair? Who determines that? Progressive looks ok for local but if I were cruising, Iíd keep BoatUS.

This policy has a 75 mile navigation limit so itís def local. We decided not to go to the Bahamas this year. I can add a Bahamas endorsement to the policy for next year.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
My boat insurance is also through Progressive. Personally, I opted out of the sign and glide and kept the BoatUS membership, as it's more of a known quantity for it (and I didn't feel the need to pay for both).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You are still going to get towed by BoatUS or Sea Tow or whomever...

They are taking the usually built in towing, then adding another little cost and hoping their numbers are good enough to make it all work.

We know the major tow companies have it pretty wired, all this does is undermine their ability to make money. I know, cry them a river...but my old boss used to say this creeping in of the insurance companies would hurt the assistance tow business and ultimately it is their boats and captains that come out for you.

I can't really say how it will work out...but I would love to know the hidden costs in the average insurance policy when they offer some free towing line item anyway.

Yeah I was hoping someone with Progressive would chime in to see if this service actually works. I might have to pay for the tow out of my pocket and then get reimbursed by Progressive. I did that once with my BoatUS towing plan because no BoatUS boats were available in the area. Some other tow boat pulled me in and charged me $800 but BoatUS reimbursed me.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Although TowBoat US is not extremely strong here on the Great Lakes I keep the premium policy. It is cheap insurance.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #8

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Egg Harbor 33í
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I recently changed my boat policy over to Progressive, and it came with something they call Sign and Glide towing. There is a separate app that I can use to request a tow that has my coordinates on it already. Pretty cool.

Iíve been a BoatUS tow member and I just got a renewal letter for that, so my question is do I need to renew or is the Sign and Glide sufficient for here in the US? Has anyone ever used it before?

https://www.progressive.com/boat/cov...-water-towing/
So what did you end up doing?

We are in the same boat...
I have Progressive and the same Sign and Glide, We are getting ready to head out for a few weeks and I was checking on others who have Progressive and if they have ever used the Sign and Glide program.
On the fence if I should just pay the 175.00 for piece of mind of Towboat US.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #9
Guru

Sign and Glide Vs BoatUS towing

I did not renew the Boat Us towing membership. Not because Iím super comfortable with the Sign and Glide offering, but mostly because our cruising during these Covid times will be very limited.

Iím interested in what you will do. Did you get any response on the Sign and Glide plan from others?
Old 06-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #10
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I would want to see what kind of coverage they have. If they have one boat in one place then it isnít worth much. Do they have boats in the areas that you cruise? What if they donít have a boat where you need it. Ask a lot of questions.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Egg Harbor 33í
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I would want to see what kind of coverage they have. If they have one boat in one place then it isnít worth much. Do they have boats in the areas that you cruise? What if they donít have a boat where you need it. Ask a lot of questions.
The progressive boat insurance came with the tow plan. I do not know anyone who used it to date. That is why I am thinking about doubling up with Towboat US as well. I think it may be worth the $175.00 for the full Gold plan for a tow from BFE. VS hope that the Progressive people even pick up the phone on a Sunday night..

Thoughts?
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:41 PM   #12
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
The progressive boat insurance came with the tow plan. I do not know anyone who used it to date. That is why I am thinking about doubling up with Towboat US as well. I think it may be worth the $175.00 for the full Gold plan for a tow from BFE. VS hope that the Progressive people even pick up the phone on a Sunday night..

Thoughts?
Could the Progressive people just be directing the red or yellow boats to come to the rescue and not actually have a third towing service of their own?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Could the Progressive people just be directing the red or yellow boats to come to the rescue and not actually have a third towing service of their own?
I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I personally saved the few bucks and skipped the towing coverage from progressive and just pay for the 1 down from the top coverage from boatUS. No seatow around here, so no reason to have them unless I go on a long trip.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #14
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Ok, if Progressive is using Towboat/US or someone else, who do you think will get the service if a Progressive and a Towboat member call in at the same time? My bet is that they defer the Progressive claim and go do the Boat/auS member...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #15
Guru

We went to whatever boat made the most operational sense 1st unless there was something unusual..
Old 06-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #16
Guru

City: Lakeland
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
My best friend has a new-to-them boat that they were bringing home from Nashville and ran hard aground in a muddy bar in the river. They have Progressive's Sign and Glide. They also have Tow Boat US.

They started with Tow Boat but they were unable to extract them from the mud.

Tow Boat worked directly with Progressive. They brought in a diver, an excavation expert and a tug boat that normally tows big barges. The excavation expert and the diver worked with the Tow Boat folks to fashion a channel to pull out my friends. Then the tug hooked up and slid them out into open water again. The total process took about 7-8 hours and cost just short of $9000. He signed the insurance form and drove away, easy-peasy. (miraculously, no damage other than a fried impeller on the generator) If he had only had Tow Boat, he would have either still been stuck or would have had a hell of an out of pocket expense.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #17
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I wonder if you can stack the towing..... Use Progressive first and when you run out of distance, just use the same Towboat/US. Won’t have to wait, wont have to re tie Just continue on. LOL
Old 06-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
My best friend has a new-to-them boat that they were bringing home from Nashville and ran hard aground in a muddy bar in the river. They have Progressive's Sign and Glide. They also have Tow Boat US.

They started with Tow Boat but they were unable to extract them from the mud.

Tow Boat worked directly with Progressive. They brought in a diver, an excavation expert and a tug boat that normally tows big barges. The excavation expert and the diver worked with the Tow Boat folks to fashion a channel to pull out my friends. Then the tug hooked up and slid them out into open water again. The total process took about 7-8 hours and cost just short of $9000. He signed the insurance form and drove away, easy-peasy. (miraculously, no damage other than a fried impeller on the generator) If he had only had Tow Boat, he would have either still been stuck or would have had a hell of an out of pocket expense.

John
That makes me think that for the $30 / year or whatever it is, I might as well carry both just in case.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #19
Guru

In the case of divers and excavation expert...sounds like salvage which is not assistance towing.

I would think your regular hull insurance would kick in t hff on but I will leave that up to an insurance expert.

Did find this....

https://www.unitedmarine.net/boat_in...e-charges.aspx

"Salvage Charges

Salvage charges are amounts paid to protect the vessel against additional loss. This could be as simple as adding a barrier to a broken window or as complicated as a salvage company protecting the vessel if grounded.

Most marine insurance polices provide salvage charges as part of the normal boat insurance policies. Other companies will insure your boat from physical damage but do not provide coverage for salvage charges. This is an important difference and you should be aware if your policy provides this protection.

A boat insured for $40,000 that suffers a total loss from a sinking is paid $40,000 for the loss. If there is an additional cost of $20,000 to raise the vessel, this $20,000 will be paid in addition to the $40,000 coverage for the boat.

If a boat insurance policy did not include salvage charges, the additional $20,000 would be your responsibility. Most insurance companies will pay up to the hull value for salvage charges. If the boat is insured for $40,000, the boat insurance company will pay up to $40,000 in additional salvage charges."
Old 06-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Point Pleasant
Vessel Name: Lady Lu
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That makes me think that for the $30 / year or whatever it is, I might as well carry both just in case.
I have both Boat US and the slide and glide from Progressive. For the extra $30 it is worth the extra security.

4fun1 is offline   Reply With Quote