Sign and Glide Vs BoatUS towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two major differences. One is the type of water. ICW is a dug ditch, lots of shallow areas, lots of shoals. You can run aground and need help to get off. Easy to not just foul or destroy props but all running gear.

Second difference is availability of services. Tow memberships are used in the Puget Sound area, just not generally for offshore running. Now, those on the East Coast are astonished to see the Coast Guard two boats on the West Coast. The CG does not do that on the East Coast. Boat 10 miles offshore, CG will rescue the people but leave the boat for a tow service and if one doesn't have a tow membership then the cost will be thousands. CG on the East Coast isn't going to tow you in.

I've seen the CG tow occasionally on Lake Ontario but it's quite rare. Usually a situation where the tow companies decline the job for whatever reason. Last one I saw was them towing a flooded jetski back to a launch ramp.

Maybe I am missing something, but my insurance policy includes $1500 towing assistance. We are in the San Juan islands, WA so towing would be a short distance. For this reason I don't have a BoatUS or other membership.

Maybe I am missing something, but my insurance policy includes $1500 towing assistance. We are in the San Juan islands, WA so towing would be a short distance. For this reason I don't have a BoatUS or other membership.

You may be missing something. Look at the conditions under which your policy pays and understand using your insurance policy records it as a claim on your record. $1500 isn't much. Compare the clause on your insurance policy to what a tow membership covers.

Funny thing this difference between east and west. I know A LOT of boaters, but I don't know anyone with tow insurance through the two big associations. . Good god.. how fast do you people run in really skinny water that you all run aground so much that you cannot kedge yourselves off?.To be clear... I'm also not one of those boaters that never goes anywhere. Have crossed the pacific, N/S on the Atlantic and the Caribbean, Mexico ,Central America, Panama, and the West Coast a bunch of times. Still never been in need of a tow. Now I will point out I have watched a bunch of youtube antics of "Easterners" (look no further that the Haulover Inlet videos) and I sort of get why there seems to be a thriving tow business on the East Coast.
HW

Funny thing this difference between east and west. I know A LOT of boaters, but I don't know anyone with tow insurance through the two big associations. . Good god.. how fast do you people run in really skinny water that you all run aground so much that you cannot kedge yourselves off?.To be clear... I'm also not one of those boaters that never goes anywhere. Have crossed the pacific, N/S on the Atlantic and the Caribbean, Mexico ,Central America, Panama, and the West Coast a bunch of times. Still never been in need of a tow. Now I will point out I have watched a bunch of youtube antics of "Easterners" (look no further that the Haulover Inlet videos) and I sort of get why there seems to be a thriving tow business on the East Coast.
HW

Tow Boat US has 10 locations between Tacoma and Vancouver so does have some members in the area.

You don't have to run fast in skinny water to need a tow. Another East Coast factor is far more boaters. While I've never needed a tow, I don't deny the potential need. Many reasons other than running aground. Now, along the west coast, you'll see a rise in locations, the day the USCG says they're not towing anymore.

And back to the original theme of this thread, Progressive gives you "sign and glide" as part of your policy. Seems good enough to me. Maybe not the best, but I don't expect to be needing towing very often if ever, so why is that a bad thing vs the other towers?

The USCG can not tow except in emergency distress situations, anywhere. It is the law that private business gets first crack.

The minute no tower can be had, it can be construed as an emergency depppending on many things.

A MARB will probably be issued if no imediate danger is present.....and while USCG responsemay not be immediate, but not for long if anything at all deteriorates.

Towing companies often go above and beyond membership benefits, nut probably only in your home area and if you are a member.

Last edited:
The USCG can not tow except in emergency distress situations, anywhere. It is the law that private business gets first crack.

The minute no tower can be had, it can be construed as an emergency depppending on many things.

A MARB will probably be issued if no imediate danger is present.....and while USCG responsemay not be immediate, but not for long if anything at all deteriorates.

Towing companies often go above and beyond membership benefits, nut probably only in your home area and if you are a member.

Much better explanation than I could give. If no private company is available or none of them want the job, the CG has the option to tow is my understanding. But they have to let the private companies have first pick at it, they're not allowed to compete with them.

Back
Top Bottom