Side boarding doors cockpit and midship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As to the doors, I've yet to ever hear a boat owner say they had too many.

Now, many builders make you sign that pricing is confidential. Otherwise, good reasons not to discuss, especially right now. They're changing constantly. Someone will hear last year's price and then get furious that they're charging 20% more, and yes, on stainless steel it may be that. Also, some buy as part of packages. Then even more of a problem is that buyers often like to brag about the great deals they made and even.....oh yes....even lie. Then the builder is in a bad situation.

I like your logic in almost all of your posts; this one falls flat to me. Worry about the buyers not the sellers. No exceptions for this industry.

Having watched the video and now appreciating there aren’t full length side decks I would absolutely go for those midship doors. Good call.

I like your logic in almost all of your posts; this one falls flat to me. Worry about the buyers not the sellers. No exceptions for this industry.

Why should I only worry about buyers and not about sellers? As a seller, one has a total right to restrict sharing of confidential information. I would say this is a builder that is great to work with. Why should I not be concerned about both buyer and seller and fairness to all as well as adherence to contracts?

However, I'm also worrying about buyers as information starts circulating that may do a disservice to potential buyers.

Back to the boarding doors, we ordered the cockpit side doors but are going to modify the order to add the midship doors as our boat hasn't been started yet...makes sense as we are planning on keeping the boat for many years and age will become a factor. We like the fact that the swim platform, cockpit doors and midship doors are all different heights.

I think that is a wise decision. None of us are getting any younger and any more nimble. I fell tonight while we were carrying a 240 pound slab of quartz upstairs, fortunately the quartz was fine…

As I will say again, this thread is NOT about pricing. Maybe if you are interested in knowing about the cost of side doors, you should consider starting another thread related to that subject. We chose not disclose side door pricing for the obvious reason mentioned above. Nor do we appreciate being browbeaten for expressing our thoughts about an off topic opinion. When posing a question on this forum, it is hard to understand those who choose to exercise such a lack of civility. Not very encouraging indeed.

Really?

Ease of boarding seems to be an afterthought in many boats. The ease of access onto a Krogen or Fleming is part of what sets them apart for me.

Regarding pricing and discussion thereof: that's what list prices are for. The manufacturer publishes list prices and the customer understands that they are higher than retail, and that the sales price will be a percentage of list, depending on the market at the time of sale and the relationship between the dealer and the customer.

I might not tell my competitors exactly what I paid for a new bulldozer, but the list price is common knowledge. I can't see any harm in publishing list prices for common options on a boat.

The 38H I purchased does not have boarding doors at the cockpit, and I am short and often dock the boat by myself. I use FenderSteps to help get up and down--have them on both sides. See pic. Not as good as a door, but does the trick.

Do you leave that FenderStep tied on when underway, TT? And if you swing it inboard underway, how much does it intrude on passing by? We are thinking about one or two of them for our Mariner 37.

I think that is a wise decision. None of us are getting any younger and any more nimble. I fell tonight while we were carrying a 240 pound slab of quartz upstairs, fortunately the quartz was fine…

Hope you too are fine! How about your helpers? At that weight you must have had several, who then had to step up to bear your share of the load when you dropped out. Everyone OK I hope.

Do you leave that FenderStep tied on when underway, TT? And if you swing it inboard underway, how much does it intrude on passing by? We are thinking about one or two of them for our Mariner 37.

I leave them down all the time. There is really no reason to bring them up--they are visually unobtrusive, especially as they sit right at the accent stripe. (They don't "read" as a fender.)

It was an 8’ long 1” slab of quartz. It was at the top step and I went to the floor and the quartz also but the other 2 guys were below me on the steps so the quartz didn’t drop too far. We had just brought it inside from 12 degrees and they said be careful with cold quartz because it might crack. All my thoughts as I went down were that I had broken the quartz but it came through fine. We waited 24 hours to let it warm up and installed it yesterday. My neck has been bad down to my left shoulder but it is getting better today. Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom