Shrink-Wrapping Painted Hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had mine detailed by a pro last October when I bought it. Was amazed how well it turned out. Did not try to touch up the few dings it had picked up - most on the bow. They power buffed it. The transom graphics had started peeling so we took it off completely and after 15 years in Florida sun, the paint under the graphics had not fadded and looks brand new. Hate to put it back on!!
One gentle buffing will not kill an Awlcraft finish IMO.
Its just not a practice to fall back on often.

Looks like one year my yard ran out of standoffs or something so...

Attachments

• IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 25
My yard has been using a plastic film for the past few years. If I had to describe it, it looks like the stuff that comes on new cars when they are shipped or the stuff the put on stainless steel refrigerators. Never had an issue with the paint. If I speak to them I will ask what it’s called.

One gentle buffing will not kill an Awlcraft finish IMO.
Its just not a practice to fall back on often.
I feel you may be correct, Don. When I bought this boat 2 years ago, the previous owner had just had the hull power buffed and polished. I expressed my concern that they may have shortened the life of the paint. Nevertheless, I closed the deal.

My yard has been using a plastic film for the past few years. If I had to describe it, it looks like the stuff that comes on new cars when they are shipped or the stuff the put on stainless steel refrigerators. Never had an issue with the paint. If I speak to them I will ask what it’s called.
So, the film was snugged tight to the hull? No air flow over the paint? Curious, as that seems to fly in the face of common advice.

I just spoke with the wrapper, who claims to have been doing this job for 29 years. He said he's wrapped million dollar yachts and has never had an issue. I hope he's not lying to me.

Is he willing to put that in writing and back it? If not his statement is worth nothing.

I would have a problem with someone saying we will just buff out any damage. I guess I would want them to say lets protect it so we don’t have any damage. Why take any chances, what if it doesn’t buff out? I would protect it and then not worry about it. My 2 cents...

I AGREE with you!!! My Silverton is not painted so it gets wrapped. But if it was painted I would give a lot of thought to how much of the boat was wrapped or look into indoor storage

That ..... and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee!!

Is he willing to put that in writing and back it? If not his statement is worth nothing.
No, Oscar, he wouldn't guarantee anything. And this guy apparently does about 90% of the local wrapping. Judging by the number of wraps with his company name on them, he could be right. Thus, I've taken action to reduce the likelihood of damage occurring.

This isn't unique to Awlcraft 2000, any two part urethane based paint will blister if water or a hydroscopic material is held against it (this includes door mats for painted decks). When I ran a yard, we shrink wrapped many boats, and used closed cell foam rectangular blocks to stand shrink wrap off the hulls. These are readily available and often used for shipping packing.

This isn't unique to Awlcraft 2000, any two part urethane based paint will blister if water or a hydroscopic material is held against it (this includes door mats for painted decks). When I ran a yard, we shrink wrapped many boats, and used closed cell foam rectangular blocks to stand shrink wrap off the hulls. These are readily available and often used for shipping packing.

Agree. As I said above, my deck had some water standing on it and some plastic fell on it when I was away. Got back to the boat and found blisters. Had to repaint that area. It wasn’t Awlcraft but a different 2 part.

Thanks for the advice, Steve.

I instructed the shrink-wrapper to stop the plastic just below the rub rail. But to secure it, he had to cover up some painted hull beneath the pulpit. And to enclose the swim platform, he angled it down at the stern, effectively covering a fairly large corner area of the hull aft.

To push the plastic away from the paint, I installed small blocks of closed-cell foam periodically along the rub-rail where the plastic was close, and particularly fore and aft. But to do this, in some spots, the foam is in snug contact with the painted surface.

In your opinion, could this adversely affect the paint beneath the foam blocks?

SHrink-Wrapped Mainship

I was surprised too that he claims to have never had an issue with painted hulls.

I don't have photos handy with the closed-foam blocks in place. But they're jammed mostly between the rub rail at the tie-cords and the film. For the most part, there is now clearance, at least a little, between the paint and the film.

This the first time I've uploaded photos to TF. Hopefully it works.

Attachments

• DSCN0111.jpg
    DSCN0111.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0112.jpg
    DSCN0112.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0114.jpg
    DSCN0114.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 8
I was surprised too that he claims to have never had an issue with painted hulls.

I don't have photos handy with the closed-foam blocks in place. But they're jammed mostly between the rub rail at the tie-cords and the film. For the most part, there is now clearance, at least a little, between the paint and the film.

This the first time I've uploaded photos to TF. Hopefully it works.
I also jammed a block between the anti-fouling and the tie-lines, and between the lines and swim platform edge to prevent chafing in the wind.

Sounds like you have it covered. We are hoping to haul ours in the nexr week or so. But we store inside so we don’t shrink it. We do put a huge tarp over it just to keep the bird poop off the boat.

I've investigated more than a few insurance claims related to shrink wrap in contact with painted hulls and two claims on gelcoat.

I believe spacers are important. most commonly I see (and use myself) blue insulation foamboard.

This looks pretty good, and I was about to warn you of chafe from the securing lines, but I see you took care of it. Bottom line is, if the shrink wrap is touching a painted surface, for the most part other than a narrow edge, it will hold water and could lead to blisters, not to mention chafe damage.

Sounds like you have it covered. We are hoping to haul ours in the nexr week or so. But we store inside so we don’t shrink it. We do put a huge tarp over it just to keep the bird poop off the boat.
Yes, I recall you saying that you store yours in a barn on a farm, and have for quite some time. My boat has always been inside heated, since new, I'm told. And I stored last winter inside heated too. But that was Georgian Bay where there are more spaces. On Lake Ontario, the options are limited. Maybe next year, I'll take her back north.

I've investigated more than a few insurance claims related to shrink wrap in contact with painted hulls and two claims on gelcoat.

I believe spacers are important. most commonly I see (and use myself) blue insulation foamboard.
Thanks boatpoker. By my described solution, do you think I've acted prudently, all things considered? Anything else I could do to reduce the risk of damage?

Ours is in a boat storage barn, not on a farm, but similar.

This looks pretty good, and I was about to warn you of chafe from the securing lines, but I see you took care of it. Bottom line is, if the shrink wrap is touching a painted surface, for the most part other than a narrow edge, it will hold water and could lead to blisters, not to mention chafe damage.
Thanks, Steve. Wherever possible, I orchestrated a space, though small, between the paint and the film. The only areas where that was practically impossible was at the 2 afr corners of the tansom where I had to prop the film away with small foam blocks right on the corners of the transom. But I intend to have a body guy add 2 custom-made contoured stainless-steel corner panels where I seem to manage to bump the hull while exiting the locks in turbulent water and wind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom