The Shrimpless Shrimper...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toocoys

Guru

Attachments

• 6776969_20180716142523322_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6776969_20180716142523322_1_XLARGE.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 330
I sure don't understand the main deck interior layout. There are a couple of converted woodie trawlers in my area. One in particular did a super job on the deckhouse reno. Did a more conventional floorplan. Kept the above deck steel just for looks - don't know the nomenclature - outriggers and such.

The galley is a bit strange

Wow, thats seems like a lot of boat for little money. The engine room and components look clean! Definitely a cool boat. Too much wood for me though.

Well, someone built something that he wanted. Good for him. It won't be to most folks' liking, of course, but that's the risk of such custom projects. Main stateroom/dinette/wheelhouse combo? Sorta like a studio apartment. OK, so never guests aboard...more of a bachelor pad. And I say bachelor because there's no stove, only a microwave, toaster oven and some George Foreman grill sort of things.

Cool boat. If the bones are good there's a ton of potential. I love commercial boats.

So many horrible things about that boat. I'll start with the home-built look. Like a bunch of weekend hacks finishing off a hunting lodge. Where there's no tongue and groove, there's stained and poly'd plywood.

Then there's all the household junk. A residential light switch to flip from inverter to shorepower. Best Buy style fridge. Residential tub and vanity in the head.

Then there's the layout. From helm to settee, passing galley, and a pullman style berth all in the same space. magical.

Everything electronic needs to be replaced. Those bass boat/center console displays are not going to cut it. Everything else was EoL in the last millenium.

If I bought it, I'd gut the entire thing and start from scratch.

If the hull and engine are sound, gutting the interior would be the plan...put in $200,000, and you have something special.

A lot of the "hack" stuff is exactly what thousands of commercial vessels are finished like and work year round under less than ideal conditions sometimes.

As for layouts, everyone thinks a little different...I find most "yacht" designs severely lacking and impractical too.

For some it may be a turn key cruiser that will happily cruise for thousands of miles and many years with no more maintenance than many boats owned here including mine.

Last edited:
I love this site because people speak their minds.

A lot of the "hack" stuff is exactly what thousands of commercial vessels are finished like and work year round under less than ideal conditions sometimes.

Where they work, scarf down food, and attempt to sleep between hauls. I could live in a lean-to, doesn't make it either nice or desirable.

Those guys also live and work on boats that smell like rotting fish. Also not something I want in a cruising boat.

Yeah, Nordhavns all around..... :rolleyes:

Plenty of us liveaboard comfortably with way less than the boat in question....that boat is probably more comfortable than mine and the ONLY reason I do a lot of things differently is insurance companies and surveyors.... who many I bet I can out engineer and cruise any day of the week.

As for safety training.....left them in the dust years ago.

Not all commercial vessels fish either.

Just because it isn't boat show pretty, West Marine expensive or Flemming build..... doesn't mean squat for safe, seaworthy or comfort. :D

Last edited:
So many horrible things about that boat. I'll start with the home-built look. Like a bunch of weekend hacks finishing off a hunting lodge. Where there's no tongue and groove, there's stained and poly'd plywood.

If I bought it, I'd gut the entire thing and start from scratch.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Most of that wood in the interior is old sinker cypress; a prize to have down here. Rustic, but will never rot. I would change the layout somewhat to what Swampu did to the Cajun Rose, far more creature comforts than what's on that shrimp boat. Would not be hard to install flopper stoppers for rough waters with its standing out riggers. Has plenty of space for several fishing boats on its upper deck...would make a hell of a mother ship for fishing expeditions. Since you can't make money shrimping anymore converting these old steel trawlers makes a lot of sense.

Guests could be housed in the aft salon aka hunting cabin, if that were a sleeper sofa, but it would not be an ideal situation. The 'basement' is huge.

Shrew - I bought a 15 cf Best Buy fridge for 1/2 the cost of a 1.7 cf Norcold. Keeps more beer cold. Works for me.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Most of that wood in the interior is old sinker cypress; a prize to have down here. Rustic, but will never rot. I would change the layout somewhat to what Swampu did to the Cajun Rose, far more creature comforts than what's on that shrimp boat. Would not be hard to install flopper stoppers for rough waters with its standing out riggers. Has plenty of space for several fishing boats on its upper deck...would make a hell of a mother ship for fishing expeditions. Since you can't make money shrimping anymore converting these old steel trawlers makes a lot of sense.

I guess cypress is a Louisiana thing. I'm from Broussard.

My dad tore down two old cypress barns in Kaplan and kept the wood. I had started milling it as flooring for the Chris Craft I sold. I still have most of it. some of those old boards are a hundred years old and just as bright as a new board is. You dont get 24" wide planks of anything anymore. Gorgeous stuff.

Look's to be a marine electrical nightmare! I saw this boat up in Goose Pond Colony in Lake Guntersville on the Tennessee River several years ago and It was ringed with tires around the outside of the hull. It looked to be a real work in progress. The owner had just brought it down from Lake Loudon and was planning to do the Great . I expressed doubts to the owner unless he reduced it's air draft.

Look up the world traveling yacht "Pink Shrimp".

Back in the ‘60s and ‘70s there was a big market of guys taking St Augustine shrimpers and turning them into trawlers at reasonable prices, buyers got to decide how “their”interior would turn out. Popular for many years. Some people like chicken and others like steak.

Back in the ‘60s and ‘70s there was a big market of guys taking St Augustine shrimpers and turning them into trawlers at reasonable prices, buyers got to decide how “their”interior would turn out. Popular for many years. Some people like chicken and others like steak.

Ex trawlers are a great way to go.
Proven hull that can handle adverse conditions and carry a load.
Ours was converted in early 2000's.

Over the weekend we put an offer in on this boat. Long story.

While we were waiting to see if the owner accepted, countered, or rejected our offer, my broker said to go ahead and start doing the leg work for applying for financing.

I went through every lender listed on the National Marine Lenders Association, and contacted the most well known.

Only ONE lender would finance an older boat and only back to a 1989 model, and no one, I mean absolutely NO ONE would finance a steel hull.

Apparently lending rules changed last year or year before. Finding a bank to finance anything older than 1998 is extremely hard to do, and if you can there are multiple hoops to jump through.

Because we dont want to fit a square peg in a round hole, we've retracted our offer (it was subj to financing anyway).

Apparently lending rules changed last year or year before. Finding a bank to finance anything older than 1998 is extremely hard to do, and if you can there are multiple hoops to jump through.

US banksters acting responsibly?
What strange topsy turvy universe is this I have stumbled into.

US banksters acting responsibly?
What strange topsy turvy universe is this I have stumbled into.

Prior to this year, Essex Credit would finance older boats at a .25% APR incremental for previous decades. There also weren't restrictions for hull materials.

One bank I found would finance older boats, but only fiberglass and aluminum hulls.

Not a reliable statistical basis, but there have been a bunch of boat sales down here over the summer of pre-98s that I'm certain were not cash deals. One deal that I do know a bit about is a 1950s steel oil field support boat conversion - financed by a local bank. That may be a clue - maybe a local bank (dying breed, I know) in an area that's used to dealing with relatively small time commercial/fishing interests.

Not a reliable statistical basis, but there have been a bunch of boat sales down here over the summer of pre-98s that I'm certain were not cash deals. One deal that I do know a bit about is a 1950s steel oil field support boat conversion - financed by a local bank. That may be a clue - maybe a local bank (dying breed, I know) in an area that's used to dealing with relatively small time commercial/fishing interests.

I could have gone through my credit union, however it would have had to be a personal loan, of which the rates are currently quite a bit higher than boat loans.

I'm going to call this a "sign" that I just need to sit tight and proceed with out original plan of doing this lease thing for a year.

Last edited:
I've looked at the old shrimp boats and they are dirt cheap. The wooden ones made in Louisiana are made from cypress. There was one for sale for 35k.

Ours was a small shrimper / longliner during his first life , now he’s reformed to a nice little river rat boat . It can be done. You can wind up with some nice deck space and plenty of storage. The average carpenter can slick one up pretty decent . I’ve got proof .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom