Old 01-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #1

City: Longboat Key
shower sump goop cleaner

What do you use or make to remove the goop from the shower sump pan. My autoswitch turned the pump for the pan on and there was no water but a good goop covering, 1/4 inch everywhere. I am think a 50% bleach mix and let stand and pump. I have never used the shower in the 3 months I have owned the boat. Thoughts and experience? Thank you
Chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would not use bleach. Try KO. You will probably still have to scrub it out to get it clean and then periodically use a cleaner such as KO.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We shower on Hobo daily. Monthly we clean the shower sump. I haven’t found anything that eliminates the “goop”. Liquid soap reduces it but we still have to clean it.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #4

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We shower on Hobo daily. Monthly we clean the shower sump. I haven’t found anything that eliminates the “goop”. Liquid soap reduces it but we still have to clean it.

Same here. We use liquid soap. Pour biotal down drains regularly but still have to clean out the sump box every 4-6 weeks to scoop out the gray goop.
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
You haven’t met or heard of Peggie Hall yet? The HeadMistress will help you out. For myself- NO bleach- it’s too caustic! I use either KO or white vinegar followed by fresh waster weekly. BAN bar soaps and use liquid only.
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Clean shower sump.

Peggie just posted and talked about this stuff on another thread.
Use to clean shower sumps. Let sit for 24 hrs.

https://www.amazon.com/Raritan-Clean.../dp/B00DH3LQZA
Aren’t you guys paying attention
Cigatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: AR
K.O. is not a cleaner, Dave...

Raritan only markets their "C.P. Cleans Potties" as a bowl cleaner--and it is an excellent one. But it's also the best sump and drain cleaner on the planet. C.P. is a bio-enzymatic cleaner that not only destroys odor on contact, but the enzymes in it "eat" hair, soap scum, body oils, galley grease and all the stuff that clogs sumps and drains and makes 'em stinky. All you need to is put 2-3 oz down the shower drain when it can stand at least overnight...the enzymes need time to work. Then flush clean water through the sump. You can even let it remain in the sump for weeks, 'cuz although the enzymes exhaust themselves in 24 hours, there's nothing in C.P. that can harm anything. To clean sink drains, close the seacock, then put about an ounce of C.P down the drain and fill the drain with water--again when it can stand at least overnight. That's it.

The above are instructions for MAINTAINING the sump. In your situation, I'd put an inch of water--no more--in the sump along with C.P. It's also likely to take more more than one application. 'Cuz although you CAN leave it in the sump indefinitely, it quits working after 24 hours.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
Guru

https://www.amazon.com/Raritan-Clean.../dp/B00DH3LQZA

That price is outrageous! Raritan's LISt price is only 15.50...Defender has it for 14.95..and WM price matches, so shipping cost does not have to be an issue.

--Peggie
Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
K.O. is not a cleaner, Dave...

Raritan only markets their "C.P. Cleans Potties" as a bowl cleaner--and it is an excellent one. But it's also the best sump and drain cleaner on the planet. C.P. is a bio-enzymatic cleaner that not only destroys odor on contact, but the enzymes in it "eat" hair, soap scum, body oils, galley grease and all the stuff that clogs sumps and drains and makes 'em stinky. All you need to is put 2-3 oz down the shower drain when it can stand at least overnight...the enzymes need time to work. Then flush clean water through the sump. You can even let it remain in the sump for weeks, 'cuz although the enzymes exhaust themselves in 24 hours, there's nothing in C.P. that can harm anything. To clean sink drains, close the seacock, then put about an ounce of C.P down the drain and fill the drain with water--again when it can stand at least overnight. That's it.

The above are instructions for MAINTAINING the sump. In your situation, I'd put an inch of water--no more--in the sump along with C.P. It's also likely to take more more than one application. 'Cuz although you CAN leave it in the sump indefinitely, it quits working after 24 hours.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Peggy- can I just substitute CP for the biotal I currently use and use it for everything? Or are they complimentary?
Old 01-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #10

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
I’ve squirt a bit of “clean potties” in my shower drain once every 2 weeks.
After 2 years, still no stink coming from the sump. It really does a great job of eliminating the need to open the sump and hand clean. I’m sure at some point I’ll need to do that, buy hey, once less maintenance item is a very good thing!
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
[QUOTE=HeadMistress;731226]K.O. is not a cleaner, Dave...

Brain fart, CP is what I meant...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz View Post
Peggy- can I just substitute CP for the biotal I currently use and use it for everything? Or are they complimentary?

I can't answer that without knowing what you're using now.

--Peggie
Old 01-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I date a long hair lady so I clean the sump box weekly. I wipe the box down with paper towels using hot water to soften everything. I rinse the box with lots of hot water. The only problem is, when I shut the pump off to clean the box is, sometimes I forget to turn it back on. That means, the bilge get soapy and I have to clean that too. LOL
Old 01-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #14

Quote:
I can't answer that without knowing what you're using now.

--Peggie

Biotal.

https://www.marinesan.com/product-p/biotal.htm
Old 01-13-2019, 11:23 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Distilled white vinegar. Pour a bunch in to clear it out the first time, put some down the drain once a month (assuming live-aboard).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:33 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My grey water sump bilge pump could suck start a Harley Davidson, the issue is a sticking Rule flipper switch. I hate those switches.
Hoping a magic potion will stop it sticking,disinclined to bless the grey tank with a Johnson Ultra.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz View Post
The answer to your question is, no. It's nothing like Raritan C.P. For one thing, it's a chemical product that has a some added bacteria cultures...C.P. is 100% bio-active...it's a grease and sludge "eater"...it won't do a thing for mineral buildup, which is Biotel's primary use--to out/prevent mineral buildup in hoses and other parts of a sanitation system...its a competitor to Sew Clean Sew Clean Reviews from other boat owner who've tried biotal to dissolve a blockage in a toilet discharge line don't rate it very highly for that. I found it a bit telling that MarineSan is advertising a special: a biotal and NoFlex combo.

I found a warning that Biotal contains ingredients consider to be a carcinogen in California, but since everything seems to be a carcinogen in CAL, I took that with a grain of salt. But fwiw, no such warning exists for C.P.

Btw...C.P. is part of the product line my own company developed and that I sold to Raritan in 1999...which may help to explain why I'm intimately acquainted with it. I no longer have ANY vested interest in it nor compensation for recommending it.

--Peggie
Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
My grey water sump bilge pump could suck start a Harley Davidson, the issue is a sticking Rule flipper switch. I hate those switches.
Hoping a magic potion will stop it sticking,disinclined to bless the grey tank with a Johnson Ultra.
I used Ultra Safety Systems Pumpswitches in our shower sumps (this is a different product from the Johnson Ultra) and, coupled with white vinegar, away went those problems. The sumps got a lot of use, since we lived aboard full time, and for years, typically away from the dock.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Distilled white vinegar. Pour a bunch in to clear it out the first time, put some down the drain once a month (assuming live-aboard).

Distilled white vinegar is great for preventing scale other mineral buildup, but doesn't do that well against soap scum, body oils, and all the other "organic" (non-mineral) stuff that comes off you to go down the shower drain and causes shower sumps to stink. For that, there's nothing better--as good?--as C.P. IMO.

--Peggie
Old 01-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #20

Quote:
The answer to your question is, no. It's nothing like Raritan C.P. For one thing, it's a chemical product that has a some added bacteria cultures...C.P. is 100% bio-active...it's a grease and sludge "eater"...it won't do a thing for mineral buildup, which is Biotel's primary use--to out/prevent mineral buildup in hoses and other parts of a sanitation system...its a competitor to Sew Clean Sew Clean Reviews from other boat owner who've tried biotal to dissolve a blockage in a toilet discharge line don't rate it very highly for that. I found it a bit telling that MarineSan is advertising a special: a biotal and NoFlex combo.

I found a warning that Biotal contains ingredients consider to be a carcinogen in California, but since everything seems to be a carcinogen in CAL, I took that with a grain of salt. But fwiw, no such warning exists for C.P.

Btw...C.P. is part of the product line my own company developed and that I sold to Raritan in 1999...which may help to explain why I'm intimately acquainted with it. I no longer have ANY vested interest in it nor compensation for recommending it.

--Peggie

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I'll keep CP on the boat!