Show your sheer line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm rather partial to my Seaweed:

SeaweedAnchored.jpg

Greetings,
M. H. My humblest apologies if I offended you in any way. Your English is completely understandable as well as your question about Sheer line.

MY observation is that when ANYONE asks what a particular nautical term means, more often than not, a simple "definition" blossoms like flowers in the spring into a multi page "discussion".

So, again, my sincerest apologies

Greetings,
M. H. My humblest apologies if I offended you in any way. Your English is completely understandable as well as your question about Sheer line.

MY observation is that when ANYONE asks what a particular nautical term means, more often than not, a simple "definition" blossoms like flowers in the spring into a multi page "discussion".

So, again, my sincerest apologies

don't worry I do not feel offended about your message :thumb:you don't need to apologize :lol:

Last edited:
Here's Grace.

Attachments

• Grace bow picture.jpg
    Grace bow picture.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 63
I'll take a stab at it...The longitudinal line which defines the topmost edge of the hull above the main deck of a ship/boat.

so that the line of cap-rail ?

Hugues
Hmmm - I thought it was the line defined by the join between the deck and the hull. This may or may not follow the line of the cap rail. Of course I may or may not be wrong!

Richard

Hmmm - I thought it was the line defined by the join between the deck and the hull. This may or may not follow the line of the cap rail. Of course I may or may not be wrong!

Richard

Sure glad Badger doesn't have a broken sheer line then! We'll get this ironed out right after we all decide what a trawler is :D

Sure glad Badger doesn't have a broken sheer line then! We'll get this ironed out right after we all decide what a trawler is :D

A Trawler can I try to put definition on it ? :D

Nice thread!

Attachments

• TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.jpg
    TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg
    Large TO Pict - 100_1412.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 73
The CHB has a minimal but nice wee sheer I think...

Oh yeah...did I mention she's for sale..?

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 54
1. My previous boat, a 1979 GB 42'

2. Concave sheer line in Foster designed yacht

3. Don't know this model but has nice curves

Attachments

• 1979 GB 42.jpg
    1979 GB 42.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 56
  • Foster yacht.jpg
    Foster yacht.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Swiss.jpg
    Swiss.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Conall

Attachments

• IMG_20151112_164510491 (800x450) (300x169) (300x169) (300x169).jpg
    IMG_20151112_164510491 (800x450) (300x169) (300x169) (300x169).jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 278
Greetings,
M. H. "A Trawler can I try to put definition on it ?" Only IF you have the right anchor.

Anchored at Pelican Bay, Cayo Costa, Fl.

Attachments

• Pelican Bay Gumbo anchored.jpg
    Pelican Bay Gumbo anchored.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 64
Our recently sold 1963, 34ft Chris Craft "Charmed". After the 1950's the sheer line of the Chris Craft's became very plain compared to the raised decks of prior models. However, overall my highly biased opinion is the Chris's in the 60's were the best looking boats on the water at that time and still have a timeless style that stands up well.

Attachments

• ccafterlg.jpg
    ccafterlg.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 46
Greetings,
M. H. "A Trawler can I try to put definition on it ?" Only IF you have the right anchor.

hoops!! look like long piece of history from this Forum (I love that) so now before put definition on Trawler I need to know what is the right Anchor, look like I putting my foot on slippy area !!!:facepalm::D:facepalm::D

Hugues

Previous boat. custom one-off C&C 37

Attachments

71.6 KB · Views: 273
  • BACKYARD BOAT 1.jpg
    BACKYARD BOAT 1.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 46
Not my boat, but beautiful lines.
Bayliss-B18-motor-yacht-Clean-Sweep-at-sunrise.jpg

IMO .....
Sheer is mostly a visual thing when used as it is here. If thaking about a lines drawing the sheer is where the flare (if present) breaks (changes direction).
A cap rail may end at a sheer break so may not go aft of the break but usually does. The visual sheer line goes aft to the transom so is stem to stern ... as in post #58. A broken sheer (post 58) always makes a boat look shorter and a high freeboard also does so a boat like 58 looks especially short.
Also I think the sheer line is visual and imaginary. It dos'nt follow the structure as much as the physical appearance. But there are as many sheer lines as styles of shoes so the concept of sheer or sheer line is not a hard and fast concept. For those that prefer things finite and specific the sheer line may be a bit vague and hard to sort out. There's so many variations ... lots of sheer as a river drift boat, straight sheer, broken sheer and all the variation there-in.
And a sheer line is usually not linear. The radius of the curve (if not straight) almost always varies fwd to aft. This variation, I belive is the essence if what makes a sheer line pleasing to the eye. And re the lines of a boat the sheer line usually dominates the other lines in the image of the boat. Lines have great influence on visual images and the image of a boat is often revered so the sheer line has considerable importance and promanance. Many other words get involved in comunicating the concept of sheer. Deep sheer, flat, straight, hooked, rockered, broken, powerful or profound and others.
You're blessed though if your boat has a "nice" sheer line.

Not my boat, but beautiful lines.
Bayliss-B18-motor-yacht-Clean-Sweep-at-sunrise.jpg

Oliver,
I think the sheer line itself is beautiful but not as applied to that boat. Powerful to be sure but heavy and too strange and dominating. Too upside down. May be very effectual and attractive if the boat was cut off at the sheer break.

But sheer appropriateness, beauty and all the other ramifications of sheer is in the eye of the beholder. That sheer line is aggressive and powerful and probably appeals to sport fishermen. So it was probably put there by a designer that knew what he was doing.

But beautiful on that boat .... no.
Would help IMO if the house was level .. or more level. Looks like it's sagging aft or/and has a structural problem.
The bigger the picture is the better it looks though.
Speaking of pics did you take this great picture?

Last edited:
Oliver,
I think the sheer line itself is beautiful but not as applied to that boat. Powerful to be sure but heavy and too strange and dominating. Too upside down. May be very effectual and attractive if the boat was cut off at the sheer break.

But sheer appropriateness, beauty and all the other ramifications of sheer is in the eye of the beholder. That sheer line is aggressive and powerful and probably appeals to sport fishermen. So it was probably put there by a designer that knew what he was doing.

But beautiful on that boat .... no.
Would help IMO if the house was level .. or more level. Looks like it's sagging aft or/and has a structural problem.
The bigger the picture is the better it looks though.
Speaking of pics did you take this great picture?

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I think the shear line is very appropriate to the boat. Just looks right, but of course that's just me. Designer definitely knows what he's doing, as this specific company (Bayliss Boatworks) are know for their sportfishermans. Which are all custom cold molded boats. I think the "sagging" house is part of the sleek and sporty look of the boat.

I did not take that excellent picture.

Oliver,
I agree about the slanted house.
Actually I'm starting to like it.
It's still very bold.

A broken sheer (post 58) always makes a boat look shorter ......
Eric, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but it's exactly that, your opinion. :nonono:

I think that post #58 shows a well thought out design that incorporates an appropriate "sheer" for that particular vessel. Remember, a sheer line is the result of a vessels mission as seen by the designer. Some are extremely beautiful to the eye and some (most?) are utilitarian. I favor the latter.:blush:

Attachments

• Utilitarian.jpg
    Utilitarian.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Just a tad bit different from what most of your sheer lines are....

img_438829_0_cd3bb46d24f381f67d4c351eaa90c7aa.jpg

Last edited:
Eric, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but it's exactly that, your opinion. :nonono:

I think that post #58 shows a well thought out design that incorporates an appropriate "sheer" for that particular vessel. Remember, a sheer line is the result of a vessels mission as seen by the designer. Some are extremely beautiful to the eye and some (most?) are utilitarian. I favor the latter.:blush:

Walt,
As I said it makes the boat look short. Can't get around it.
Did'nt say there was something wrong w the boat ..... unless looking short is a negative and I'll go on record as saying it is. A very small negative. It's fly stuff compared to the other elements of most boat designs.

As to my opinion of course it's my opinion. What's your point of saying I'm entitled to my opinion? That's obvious to me.

Last edited:
IMO .....
Sheer is mostly a visual thing when used as it is here. If thaking about a lines drawing the sheer is where the flare (if present) breaks (changes direction).
A cap rail may end at a sheer break so may not go aft of the break but usually does. The visual sheer line goes aft to the transom so is stem to stern ... as in post #58. A broken sheer (post 58) always makes a boat look shorter and a high freeboard also does so a boat like 58 looks especially short.
Also I think the sheer line is visual and imaginary. It dos'nt follow the structure as much as the physical appearance. But there are as many sheer lines as styles of shoes so the concept of sheer or sheer line is not a hard and fast concept. For those that prefer things finite and specific the sheer line may be a bit vague and hard to sort out. There's so many variations ... lots of sheer as a river drift boat, straight sheer, broken sheer and all the variation there-in.
And a sheer line is usually not linear. The radius of the curve (if not straight) almost always varies fwd to aft. This variation, I belive is the essence if what makes a sheer line pleasing to the eye. And re the lines of a boat the sheer line usually dominates the other lines in the image of the boat. Lines have great influence on visual images and the image of a boat is often revered so the sheer line has considerable importance and promanance. Many other words get involved in comunicating the concept of sheer. Deep sheer, flat, straight, hooked, rockered, broken, powerful or profound and others.
You're blessed though if your boat has a "nice" sheer line.

Well stated Eric!

My recently departed ex Navy Motor Whaleboat had pleasing sheer.

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 119
Back
Top Bottom