A Shout Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I use tools such as WaterWay Guide, Active Captain, forums, etc. as I cruise.

These include reviews and comments on bridges and locks all long the eastern seaboard.

There seems to be an inordinate amount of criticism of bridge and lock tenders on these tools.

I must say I have never in twenty years of cruising these waters had an issue with the folks that we call bridge and lock tenders.

Went through a number of bridges and locks this past week, and each time we have been treated well and passed through with pleasantries, it has left me wondering, is it the vocal negative cruising minority that create this view rather than the tenders?

Last edited:
Yes.

For some people nothing is ever good enough. Sad.

Hmmmm, what do you think the ratio of good reviews vs. bad ones are for these people in those systems?

Last edited:
Yes.

For some people nothing is ever good enough. Sad.

Hmmmm, what do you think the ratio of good reviews vs. bad ones are for these people in those systems?

I think that people who had satisfactory experiences believe that is the norm and expected, and don't need to comment on it. They thank the tender and cruise on.

Those that did not have a good experience think that it will make them feel better if they complain publicly.

So I believe the on-line ratio is a misrepresentation.

Last edited:
When we brought our boat home we went through 75 locks, lifts and marine railways. We only had 1 bad experience and it was indeed bad. The lockmaster knowingly told us to enter the lock when conditions were dangerous. He apparently liked to see boats crash, he told others that had traversed his lock that. Right after we went through they closed the Erie due to high water and extremely fast currents. But the other 74 were generally outstanding, particularly on the TSW. They were so nice that they would give our dog, Radar, treats when we got to the top of the locks. He learned after the 2nd lock and would start drooling as we rose up in the lock. We asked the lockmaster at the Big Chute Railway to take a peek at our props because we thought we had hit something. He looked and said the props were fine but we had a lot of weeds wrapped around one shaft. He made a special stop over a rock that let him get the weeds off the shaft saving us a haul out. I told him I was going to call the main office and give him an atta boy, but he said no because they weren’t supposed to do that. We did call back later in the day to thank him again.

Complaints about these folks probably reflect more on the complainer's personality than anything the tender did wrong, exceptions noted as Dave wrote about. I have had no complaints.

According to locals this was a known problem with him. I should have called and complained about him but alas I didn’t. The current was increasing during that day and when we docked that night a couple of boats that were ahead of us said he told them that there would be boats crashing later in the day. Before we got to the lock we tried calling him on the radio and phone and he wouldn’t answer. Probably didn’t want to answer because then we could have asked him about conditions at the lock.

Having done hundreds of locks and bridge openings, I can only think of one really bad bridge tender, the witch at the iron bridge in Norfolk. She and the bridge have been replaced with a high rise bridge. She would insist on boats being tightly packed next to the draw span to reduce open time. With all the construction equipment for the new bridge around the draw span, it made it very difficult to keep separation from other boats, avoid the equipment and negotiate the river current. She couldn't get it through her thick skull, that I could time my arrival with the opening just as the tugs and barges did.

This is just like when I did theatrical stage lighting, usually nothing is ever said unless something is wrong.

Ted

It can be a few tenders, not the majority in my experience.

Some bridges that I used sometimes 5-10 times a day during the busy towing season, might have 4, maybe more tenders that I could tell by voice...and a couple of bridges I know of..there was one cranky one. Now whether that was all the time or just occasionally...had for anyone to say. That one often seemed less "user friendly" than others, more so than just having a bad day or moment. Like in any job, some people just no longer have the attitude necessary to make things always work smoothly.

Some did their jobs but would argue about clearance (saying they didn't need to open) when the tide board was unreadable or gone and they wouldn't/couldn't give the actual (not charted) height in tidal areas where feet did count. Their argument usually was no more detailed than I am the bridge tender, therefore I am right....

So generally they do well, but a few not so much. What would help is if there was much better standardization throughout the country at to opening procedures, communications, traffic control, posting real time reliable center/navigable clearance, etc.... it may eliminate some occasional friction.

Last edited:
Anyone that frequents the Old Lyme (railroad) drawbridge on the Ct river has got to love this thread.
I think he's a hoot, and appreciate his sarcasm (I'd probably be like that if I were the bridge guy), but I'm sure many get really annoyed with him.
He has always done a decent job as far as opening if he can, but he won't let you know that LOL
But....if you don't ask for the Old Lyme bridge and call it Old Saybrook , or CT River bridge, he's gonna give you $hit you big time.
I have that written in black marker in my chart book.. not gonna make that mistake twice. LOL

I feel that folks are pretty genuine on their reviews and comments. If one gets exceptionally good or bad service they want to tell someone about it. Especially in a small interest group, like boaters. (Flying is the same). I could argue there's not a lot of false negatives.

So, when there's a lot of negative comments, I'd be there's a reason. Just like a bunch of positive comments. Just read this thread, and the forum, and we'll find tons of examples.

Overall, I believe people are good and want to do a good job. But, there are exceptions, from ones that are just incompetent to ones that are intentionally bad.

As for locks and bridges, I'd bet most of us have had good experiences.... with some exceptions.

When I went thru the locks on the Illinois river south of Joliet, the reviews were bad.... and the services was bad. There were long, unjustified waits, and poor communication. One lock master intentionally gave pleasure boaters a hard time. To the point a local dock master, who knew him, called the authorities and he was reprimanded.

I'd bet that most of us give reviews and use them. And I could argue that it's certainly made shopping easier. Perhaps it has helped some services, too, at least the ones that need good reviews like a business that NEEDS customers.

With the locks and bridges, there is little incentive to to a good job other than just good old personal satisfaction. All they have to do is an "adequate" job, show up for work and cause no accidents. However, nice to have a friendly lock master.

When we had the bad experience on the Erie Canal somehow the next lockmaster heard about it pretty quickly. He actually called us and said they would turn off the water for the next lock if we wanted to proceed that far due to the heavy flow. We thanked him but we had already made plans to stop before his lock. He sorta said that the other lockmaster was a jerk and he was sorry.

Steve, had the same experience at that lock. No doubt you are talking about Marseilles. That SOB, for no reason other than he disliked pleasure boaters, after making them wait 12 hours for a lockage and blatantly disregarding the every third lockage for pleasure boaters rule, at midnight he locked through just four boats and made four other boats wait till 3am even though that lock could have safely held a dozen boats. All eight boats had to make their way in the dark to their marina.
I feel that folks are pretty genuine on their reviews and comments. If one gets exceptionally good or bad service they want to tell someone about it. Especially in a small interest group, like boaters. (Flying is the same). I could argue there's not a lot of false negatives.

So, when there's a lot of negative comments, I'd be there's a reason. Just like a bunch of positive comments. Just read this thread, and the forum, and we'll find tons of examples.

Overall, I believe people are good and want to do a good job. But, there are exceptions, from ones that are just incompetent to ones that are intentionally bad.

As for locks and bridges, I'd bet most of us have had good experiences.... with some exceptions.

When I went thru the locks on the Illinois river south of Joliet, the reviews were bad.... and the services was bad. There were long, unjustified waits, and poor communication. One lock master intentionally gave pleasure boaters a hard time. To the point a local dock master, who knew him, called the authorities and he was reprimanded.

I'd bet that most of us give reviews and use them. And I could argue that it's certainly made shopping easier. Perhaps it has helped some services, too, at least the ones that need good reviews like a business that NEEDS customers.

With the locks and bridges, there is little incentive to to a good job other than just good old personal satisfaction. All they have to do is an "adequate" job, show up for work and cause no accidents. However, nice to have a friendly lock master.

Back
Top Bottom