Old 09-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #81

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
I don't know anything about older trawlers. That said, it looks like a serious trawler. Lots of real wood, which you won't get with a newer trawler unless you spend over $600-700k. If the hull and decks are sound and you like the boat go for it. You can't expect much more for $50k and a 1980's boat. If it was older I'd walk away. Just make sure the hull and decks are sound. Other than that it's just work. Right??

Best of luck!

Old 09-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #82
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Sentinel
Vessel Model: GB 36 Motoryacht
I will second what Rosborough 35 said about new to you boats. I have a 1995 GB-36 MY and the first overhaul was a interesting education in boat bucks. And even doing some things myself, new blowers and one bilge pump and ... last week the inverter died. You can burn some serious money. And the best is what the yard super said. Two kinds of boats. The ones that get run and need maintenance and the ones that sit at the pier - and need maintenance.

dhr

dhrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:03 PM   #83

City: La Mesa
Vessel Name: Pearl Grace
Vessel Model: Marine Trader/Sun Deck 43
Thanks for all the feedback. I am not crazy about the purchase, I really like the boat but not in love with it. I would feel ok not getting it but sure love the idea of having it.. torn so to speak. I am moving away from San Diego ( highly overrated city) and want to have something here still but don't want to fork over 400,000 for a condo apartment style living.. so the boat to me means a nice place to stay a few days a week and something fun to work on and go on adventures with. I will have time and a few extra bucks to get it and keep it in top shape prior to any long voyages. I realize the fuel tanks may-need to be replaced and I actually think I can cut them out myself, there appears to be room for that. It has new Radar, new Auto Pilot, batteries, Inverter, charger and the generator has low ours so I think if everything check out ok next week I'll pull the trigger. I hear there are " a lot of boats out there" a lot but my search hasn't really found that to be true in Trawlers 40-45 feet under 75,000.
Derik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #84
Guru

I hope your surveys turn out well. The boat looks "loved",and a lot of boat for 50K. Of course, if your surveys find issues beyond the existing surveys, you can reconsider or renegotiate.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #85
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derik View Post
I hear there are " a lot of boats out there" a lot but my search hasn't really found that to be true in Trawlers 40-45 feet under 75,000.
Agreed.

You seem to have the right attitude and are going in with a reasonable understanding what might be expected (or unexpected). Well loved boats are a great start but have their issues too. Our certainly does (low hours, well managed, boat-house kept for 25 years) but we knew from our survey process what we had, what it needed and negotiated a revised but price. I probably paid $10K more than I wanted, the seller probably sold for $10K less than they wanted so basically a fair deal.

Good luck and if it all comes together, enjoy the journey.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #86

Well the old Lehmans shined today, the Mechanic said during the engine survey "I didn't expect them to run so well because of their age" He was grinning from ear to ear when he fired it up. We ran at 2500 RPM's for about 5-10 min and the engine temp stayed the same 175 I believe. He told me "it's a lot of boat for 50,000" Anyway I was a bit surprised myself everything checked out except the generator. It's being sold with a used generator with 3,000 hours Northern Lights that's never been hooked up to this boat. He thinks he can hook it up and get it going but will need about 1,000.00 to do so. I will ask for a credit for this. Now the full survey is next week and the oil samples will be in then as well. All sea cocks now are operable and the fuel filters were changed today.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #87
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Boku
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Do the dog decorations come with the boat? Cause thats a definite deal!
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #88
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Boku
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
FWIW... that MT looks CLEAN! Most of the ones in our area look like they got wet in 1972 and never dried out.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #89

Here is the rather disappointing update. We did a long run yesterday from S. San Diego Bay to Mission Bay 21 miles one way. The port side engine was running hot after about 30 min at 19000 RPM so we slowed a bit it was 200 degrees Starboard 175. This continued through out the trip 195 was the norm. On the way back I saw 215 once and told the Broker to slow it down. The survey found a few through hulls that needed replaced and 46 other items (most minor) but enough work to discourage me. On the way back I dropped my offer to 46,000 if oil samples came back good. This morning I recieved the oil samples
and Iron was very high in both transmissions 1700ppm in both.

I was debating to have them change the fluids and re test in 10 hours but now I am thinking just to swallow hard and forget about this one it's tough since I spent 1500.00 on survey's and 500.00 on a haul out.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #90

City: Hudson
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30
Just remember, the whole point of the survey & haul out is to determine if it's in your best interests to walk away. If you come to that conclusion it was money well spent.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #91

I just spoke to the mechanic and the survey guy had me shooting an inferred temp sensor at the back of the engines instead of the front. The Mechanic said this would give a higher reading. He suggested a new impeller if in fact it was hot. The high temp alarm works and never went off.

The mechanic also said the high iron levels indicates the fluid is old and needs changed, he had no problems shifting it and it's smooth.. so now I am back in limbo.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #92
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
I just spoke to the mechanic and the survey guy had me shooting an inferred temp sensor at the back of the engines instead of the front. The Mechanic said this would give a higher reading. He suggested a new impeller if in fact it was hot. The high temp alarm works and never went off.

The mechanic also said the high iron levels indicates the fluid is old and needs changed, he had no problems shifting it and it's smooth.. so now I am back in limbo.

I think a reality check is in order,

Your looking at a 40'+ boat that is 30+ years old, it got warm after you ran it for 20+ minutes... it is probably a cheap (in boat terms) repair that is either a impeller or exchanger that is gunked up and needs 30 minutes of attention. Easy fixes and I would place them in normal maintenance items anyway.. not a fault".

So you did a 40 mile sea trial? If you didnt think the boat was ok within 15 minutes of going to cruise RPM your the most indecisive buyer in history or you really wanted a long boat ride

You appear to be picking the boat apart as though its 5 years old and
$ 400,000.00. You need to be willing to accept a LOT more compromises in a $50k boat.

I know this all sounds harsh but I believe you need to be a touch less critical of boats in the size/cost/age range that your shopping..

Old, less costly larger boats typically all have some issues.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #93
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Maybe I missed it, but what transmissions are in it?
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #94
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
The money you spent so far may be cheap if the boat does not prove out. I recently sold a boat that the buyer took an oil survey, they came back and being bad. I did not believe this could be true because they always tested fine. I told the buyer I would pay for another oil survey and he agreed. The mechanic misunderstood and changed the oil and ran the boat twenty hours and then tested the oil. This time it came back perfect and we closed. The second mechanic thought the first test was contaminated.

All this is a way of saying get the seller to pay for the oil change and the running of the boat and a new test. Then decide.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #95

We ran from SD bay to Mission Bay because that's where the haul out was not so much for the "sea trial". The Mission Bay boat yard was some 800.00 dollars less and I thought it would be a good test.

It's a Borg Warner Transmission.

I am just thinking if I pay say 20,000 more for a boat this size it won't need so much done? I don't think this is unreasonable? I would prefer to buy a boat that has had all the maintenance done and is run on a regular basis than on that's been neglected. I am feeling like this one had been neglected.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #96
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Even a new boat will need to have things done to fit you, however it may not cost you to do these various items.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #97
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
I am just thinking if I pay say 20,000 more for a boat this size it won't need so much done? I don't think this is unreasonable? I would prefer to buy a boat that has had all the maintenance done and is run on a regular basis than on that's been neglected. I am feeling like this one had been neglected.

Paying $20K more does not guarantee you a boat that doesn't need so much done. And worse, you could end up spending another $2K to find that out.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #98
Veteran Member

City: league city
a lot has been said here already and it all seems to be good info.... did you compare the surveyor report that you found to the one that you just had done? 1700 ppm, I essentially live in the trucking world, I do oil samples regularly, SO, how high is that number in the boat world? And last but not least, do the dogs come with it?
Slow Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #99
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I suspect that spending 20k more will not get you a boat that does not need any maintenance. Maybe another 100k will get you there. Think about what range of boat you are looking at. They are going to be 30 plus years old. They ALL will need some work, it just depends on what work they need. Do they need decks and stringers repaired or do they need some mechanical work? It is all a trade off. But buying a boat under 100k means it will almost certainly need some work. I would suggest you accept that or don’t buy any boat. Or increase your budget dramatically. Anyway good luck which ever way you go.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #100
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Derik
Two things.

The current owner should “fix” the engine which is heating up and when done pay for another sea trial himself.

Secondly, talk to the right transmission shop about the oil samples and price out a rebuild of same.

Good luck, no easy answers with a relatively low cost boat that you want as a live aboard.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote