Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 143
Shortest trawler with a walk-around queen AND a pilothouse?

Trying to narrow the to-be-purchased boat scope with some simple requirements. A boat for us will have a walk-around queen (better yet, king) bed, and I prefer the idea of a pilothouse. We have other requirements, but boats that have these things will likely have the others.

I'm curious about the shortest boat that fits these criteria. I don't know that we want the shortest boat possible (I suspect we'll end up with something 40 feet or longer), but it's a place to start.
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Slowmo's Avatar
 
City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 343
That's a pretty easy set of wants to fill. For new yachts the Helman 38E has a walkaround queen and pilot house (as do the larger ones). In the used market the Nordic Tug 37 (now NT40) fits those requirements as do American Tugs. Krogan used to make a 38 However there are many such options, the walk around queen became common in boats made starting in the 80's. I am not aware of any king sized though.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5,195
My boat has a walkaround king at 38 feet, but no pilothouse (although if you put some work into enclosing the helm area it would be pretty darn close to an aft raised pilothouse). It's not really a trawler though, and unfortunately very few were built with diesels.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmo View Post
That's a pretty easy set of wants to fill. For new yachts the Helman 38E has a walkaround queen and pilot house (as do the larger ones). In the used market the Nordic Tug 37 (now NT40) fits those requirements as do American Tugs. Krogan used to make a 38 However there are many such options, the walk around queen became common in boats made starting in the 80's. I am not aware of any king sized though.
Thanks. I figured I was casting my net pretty wide. Other 'ideas' that haven't firmed themselves into requirements yet are: single screw with bowthruster; stabilizers; u-shaped galley; guest stateroom with double berth; and the real kicker, sufficient range and capability to cross the Atlantic one day.
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mac2's Avatar
 
City: Ballard
Vessel Model: 1998 RealShips Voyager
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 155
What is your budget? Take a look at the Cape Horn for sale on Lake Union. It might be bigger then you want, but it has a bow thruster and a Thrustmaster prop system-It's like a pod that can rotate 360 degress, which gives you amazing control, so the added length is not a disadvantage. Very capable ice rated hull. Pretty sure it has all your looking for plus a king sized bed. It did have stabilizers, but they were removed because the boat was so stable and they slowed the boat down about 1 knot.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Take a look at the Cape Horn for sale on Lake Union.
Link?
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mac2's Avatar
 
City: Ballard
Vessel Model: 1998 RealShips Voyager
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 155
It's in Yachtworld and for sale at Chuck Hovey Yachts (no affiliation).
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 143
A bit out of my price range, but a damn-near perfect boat. For that kind of money, I think I'd pursue the 65' Florida Bay Coaster "Red Head" ($850K), but this one is a strong contender.
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:07 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 143
We don't have a clearly-established budget yet (far too much to do before buying a boat, and those things will change our budget), but we're kind of aiming in the $200-300K range. Just developing ideas for now.
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mac2's Avatar
 
City: Ballard
Vessel Model: 1998 RealShips Voyager
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Ray View Post
We don't have a clearly-established budget yet (far too much to do before buying a boat, and those things will change our budget), but we're kind of aiming in the $200-300K range. Just developing ideas for now.
That budget along with being able to cross the Atlantic will be a challenge. I'm thinking an older Krogen 42 would be worth a look.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
That budget along with being able to cross the Atlantic will be a challenge. I'm thinking an older Krogen 42 would be worth a look.
Yeah, I expected those two were mutually-exclusive. Iíll check out the Kroger 42.
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:22 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mac2's Avatar
 
City: Ballard
Vessel Model: 1998 RealShips Voyager
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Ray View Post
Yeah, I expected those two were mutually-exclusive. Iíll check out the Kroger 42.
Unless it's a bigger boat/budget, any boat you look at will need fuel bladders for the crossing. Not a big deal, but something to consider.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 114
Queen-sized bed: If you are truly looking for a Q bed, make sure you take your tape measure with you. I have no idea why, but somewhere in the brokerage world they started messin' around with bed sizes. I don't think you should be surprised if your "queen" turns out to be a double measurement-wise. Or your King turns out to be a Queen. I understand cabin shapes might require adjustment sizes, but I think it is common to see the boat bed sizes "mis-labeled." Hey, maybe with the new politically correct/woke monikers, we can come up with new names.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Judy at JWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:26 PM   #14
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy at JWY View Post
Queen-sized bed: If you are truly looking for a Q bed, make sure you take your tape measure with you. I have no idea why, but somewhere in the brokerage world they started messin' around with bed sizes. I don't think you should be surprised if your "queen" turns out to be a double measurement-wise. Or your King turns out to be a Queen. I understand cabin shapes might require adjustment sizes, but I think it is common to see the boat bed sizes "mis-labeled." Hey, maybe with the new politically correct/woke monikers, we can come up with new names.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Agreed. Sometimes the bunks end up a bit funky shaped to fit the cabin better. And they often measure based on the widest part. So a "queen" may be a queen in one area, but only a full down by your feet, for example.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:26 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Unless it's a bigger boat/budget, any boat you look at will need fuel bladders for the crossing. Not a big deal, but something to consider.
Definitely have considered that. Seems silly to spec huge tankage for a boat that will rarely use the capacity. If 99% of the time you're staying within 200 nm of a fuel dock, no need for 2000 gallons of fuel. Until you want to cross an ocean.

Any idea what the Krogen 42 consumes at its 7 kt cruise speed (gal/hr)?
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy at JWY View Post
Queen-sized bed: If you are truly looking for a Q bed, make sure you take your tape measure with you.
Yeah, we're using "walk-around queen" in the same way the salespeople do: bed big enough for two adults that you can get into from either side. We have a king-sized bed at home, but sleep relatively comfortably in a residential queen bed. We had an RV, which has its own version of a queen, and that was fine. I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'5" (though she takes up as much if not more space as I do when she sleeps; don't tell her I said so). We both get up at night a lot, and climbing over the other is something we need to avoid. Also concerned about good quality sleep during watch shifts (or off-shifts, actually).
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Mac2's Avatar
 
City: Ballard
Vessel Model: 1998 RealShips Voyager
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Ray View Post
Definitely have considered that. Seems silly to spec huge tankage for a boat that will rarely use the capacity. If 99% of the time you're staying within 200 nm of a fuel dock, no need for 2000 gallons of fuel. Until you want to cross an ocean.

Any idea what the Krogen 42 consumes at its 7 kt cruise speed (gal/hr)?
My Krogen 36 burned about 1.5 gal/hour. I'm thinking the 42 will burn 2-3 gal/hr at 7 knots. There are a lot of people on this forum that own the 42, hopefully they chime in. At 42 feet, your going to have a hard time finding a more seaworthy yacht with your requirements, along with a big inventory (comparatively speaking) to choose from.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:37 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
My Krogen 36 burned about 1.5 gal/hour. I'm thinking the 42 will burn 2-3 gal/hr at 7 knots. There are a lot of people on this forum that own the 42, hopefully they chime in. At 42 feet, your going to have a hard time finding a more seaworthy yacht with your requirements, along with a big inventory (comparatively speaking) to choose from.
700 gallons of fuel. With a 10% reserve (is that sufficient?), so 630 gallons usable, at 3 gph and 7 kts, that's 1470 nm. That's not exactly HUGE range, but it's plenty for 99% of use cases.
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:39 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Mac2's Avatar
 
City: Ballard
Vessel Model: 1998 RealShips Voyager
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 155
Good point on the beds Judy. A lot of boats have the main bed that is sized properly at the head area, but narrow at the feet. I've been meaning to take an electric knife to my memory foam mattress because of this, but I've kind of got used to it at this point. The price of a fitted mattress is ridiculous, so I opted for the top notch household mattress instead.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Mac2's Avatar
 
City: Ballard
Vessel Model: 1998 RealShips Voyager
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Ray View Post
700 gallons of fuel. With a 10% reserve (is that sufficient?), so 630 gallons usable, at 3 gph and 7 kts, that's 1470 nm. That's not exactly HUGE range, but it's plenty for 99% of use cases.
Not to mention the ride will be one of the best. The Krogen hull shape is amazing. They excel in following seas compared to the majority of boats in the 42 foot range. The Nordhavn 46 should be considered as well, but I doubt you'll find one in your price range.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012