Shortest trawler with a walk-around queen AND a pilothouse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fuel burn is closer ro 1.5 gal/hr at 6.8kts for us.

My calculator says that’s 2380 nm range with 25% fuel reserve. Sound right?

I think I’ve found my boat, especially if we can find one with a mid-ship master (per Airstream above). Though by the time we buy, other options may present themselves (depending on the aforementioned shifting budget).

You might look at a Heritage East 36. We have a walk around queen aft cabin. While there's no pilot house, we have an enclosed flybridge that is nice an toast on cold days. Not too bad on hot days with the "glass" panels unzipped and rolled up. Great views. We do all of our steering from the flybridge, although there is a 2nd helm in the salon.

The “queen” bed in our Mariner 37 (today’s Helmsman 38) is a boat queen size and noticeably smaller than a “real” queen size best. No problem at all for us.

It’s also not a true walk around. You can walk around the door of the bed and maybe up 18” on each side before the “nightstand” starts. That makes for some scooting to get in or out. Far better than the alternative, but hardly a walk around.

We have a 2004 HiStar 470 Sea Horse Trawler. Overall length is 54'; beam is 15'6"; draft 4'10". We are in our 60's and took our 1st trip from Decatur, Alabama to Marathon Keys two years ago. Flybridge, engine room, salon, 2 birth's are AC/heated. We loved being able to completely walk around the outside of our boat without the fear of falling.

36' Grand Banks MY

This one has a queen in the back, and an oversized double (almost a queen) in the front cabin.... both have a full heads. It is a unique model...........
check it out........

It is the yacht on their front page............ https://www.swfyachts.com/

Hope this helps.........

JD- there’s a Kadey Krogen Rondy going on this Sept over In Port Ludlow. This would be a great opportunity four you to see several different style KK’s. I have a 42 set up with stabilizers and other necessary cruising equipment moored fairly close to your location. I’d be more than happy to show you around, we do not have a walk around bed though!
Rob “Lady Anne” KK 42

I see that "walk around" and smile. To me and my AT34, the bed has to be called a less than a walk around. At best each side, port and starboard 1/2 each plus the foot is 100%. The other part of the port and starboard is devoted to cabinets. Even if I removed the 2 cabinets, I couldnt get to the the head of the bed.
I dont know of anyone, with a fwd stateroom, who can honestly say they have a full walk around berth.

Have a one-side-access master berth. Sleep on the outside thanks to the bladder. When/if my sweetie might cross over me, it is a thrill. :D

Beds

Trying to narrow the to-be-purchased boat scope with some simple requirements. A boat for us will have a walk-around queen (better yet, king) bed, and I prefer the idea of a pilothouse. We have other requirements, but boats that have these things will likely have the others.

I'm curious about the shortest boat that fits these criteria. I don't know that we want the shortest boat possible (I suspect we'll end up with something 40 feet or longer), but it's a place to start.

There were several GB 36 Classics produced with Island Queens in the aft stateroom. Or you can buy one with the standard layout of a double to starboard and a twin to port and have a competent boat carpenter rebuild the aft stateroom to your specs.

Packer,
Cummins with 2900 hours?
That does speak well of the Cummins
How many hour to a rebuild???

Sure would be nice to have more internal pictures including the ER

Last edited:
Nt37

3000 would be barely broke in.
At least 6000, time is always a factor and care. If it sat for a long time in a corrosive environment would not help. But as of date its using about 1/2 quart in 50 hours. If used regularly they will make 10,000+

QUOTE]

Our AT34 (American Tug) measures 36’ LOA and has a comfortable stateroom with center Queen bed and a spacious pilothouse.

Back
Top Bottom