Old 05-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
If I remember from when Wxx3 did his Atlantic crossing on Dauntless (Krogen 42) he burned less than 2 gal/hr on average (although I think he averaged less than 7 kts). I'm almost positive he made the crossing both directions without carrying extra fuel (I know he stopped in the Azores, not a non-stop crossing).

As far as fuel reserve, I think I'd want to plan no less than a 25% reserve in most cases.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:03 PM   #22

City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If I remember from when Wxx3 did his Atlantic crossing on Dauntless (Krogen 42) he burned less than 2 gal/hr on average (although I think he averaged less than 7 kts). I'm almost positive he made the crossing both directions without carrying extra fuel (I know he stopped in the Azores, not a non-stop crossing).
Good info, thanks.

Quote:
As far as fuel reserve, I think I'd want to plan no less than a 25% reserve in most cases.
Thanks again.
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM   #23

With a 25% fuel reserve on a 700 gallon tank, that’s 525 gallons usable. At 2 gph, 6 kts, that’s under 1600 miles, which isn’t enough to make the crossing. IIRC, it’s somewhere just under 1800 miles for the shortest leg, but that’s from me clicking around on a map, not actual knowledge.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:46 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
To the original poster (OP): everyone has and is entitled to their opinion but I think a common approach shared by many is to buy the boat that best fits your 99% use case. Otherwise you will likely dramatically over inflate the cost and possibly also introduce other compromises just to fill that extreme "someday I'd like too...list. example here of crossing the Atlantic. If you can get everything but that capability for x dollars you might need to spend 1.5x or more to get that capability and even so you might give up something (example less than 19 foot height needed for the great loop). The solution could be if you don't have the budget buy the "almost perfect boat" and if someday you really do want to cross the pacific pay to ship it.

Just offering another approach for your consideration. Happy hunting!
Old 05-27-2022, 09:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY View Post
…buy the boat that best fits your 99% use case.
Oh, yes, that’s my goal. I’d even be happy with 80%. As I said, I’m slowly developing a list of actual requirements, and along the way tacking on a list of “wants” and “nice to haves” and “in a perfect boat” items. We’ll buy with the short list of requirements and hope the boat comes with the others.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #26
Guru

City: Stockton
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: 1979 Island Gypsy 44 Flush Aft Deck
A queen size (real 60x80) was one of my must haves. Standard bedding, because I'm going to toss it before even sleeping on it. And standard bedding is much cheaper and more comfortable than having custom stuff made.
Delta Riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:02 AM   #27
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Agree with a few other posts here that the Kadey Krogen 42 and the Nordhavn 46 meet many of your requirements and budget. Keep in mind there are very few KK42s out there with a midship queen. Most have a Pullman style (one person is climbing over the other) in a forward stateroom with the office/bunk cabinet at midship.

My experience in looking at many examples of these exact models two years ago is that $300K will get you a newer, top notch KK42 that’s kitted out and ready to go. The same budget will get you an N46 that needs love.

Regarding fuel burn there are a lot of KK42 owners here and elsewhere they can report actuals. Our Kadey Krogen 54 with a single CAT 3208 burns 2.5 GPH making 7.5 to 8 knots. Long crossings would be done closer to 6.5 knots. Most KK42s have a Ford Lehman 135 which has a lot of documented performance numbers.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:09 AM   #28
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Ray View Post
With a 25% fuel reserve on a 700 gallon tank, that’s 525 gallons usable. At 2 gph, 6 kts, that’s under 1600 miles, which isn’t enough to make the crossing. IIRC, it’s somewhere just under 1800 miles for the shortest leg, but that’s from me clicking around on a map, not actual knowledge.
Except Richard on Dauntless did make it to the Azores, and back.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:04 AM   #29
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Fuel burn is closer ro 1.5 gal/hr at 6.8kts for us. It can go up or down considerably if changing RPM. Paravanes in the water can cause a loss of .3 to .7knts depending on how hard they are working.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:58 PM   #30
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
JD, the AT34 (old style measuring) with a WWL of 32. fulfill your requirements. It is short, a bit beamy, no side walk around decks. 400gal of fuel. With careful speed and fuel management you should get over 1500 miles. But it does satisfy your other requirements AND no outside teak!!!
Good luck finding one
Old 05-28-2022, 08:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
JD, the AT34 (old style measuring) … Good luck finding one
Ya big tease!
Old 05-28-2022, 08:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Except Richard on Dauntless did make it to the Azores, and back.
So clearly there’s something missing in the equation.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Fuel burn is closer ro 1.5 gal/hr at 6.8kts for us.
My calculator says that’s 2380 nm range with 25% fuel reserve. Sound right?

I think I’ve found my boat, especially if we can find one with a mid-ship master (per Airstream above). Though by the time we buy, other options may present themselves (depending on the aforementioned shifting budget).
Old 06-03-2022, 12:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Aurora
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36
You might look at a Heritage East 36. We have a walk around queen aft cabin. While there's no pilot house, we have an enclosed flybridge that is nice an toast on cold days. Not too bad on hot days with the "glass" panels unzipped and rolled up. Great views. We do all of our steering from the flybridge, although there is a 2nd helm in the salon.
Bellakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:54 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
The “queen” bed in our Mariner 37 (today’s Helmsman 38) is a boat queen size and noticeably smaller than a “real” queen size best. No problem at all for us.

It’s also not a true walk around. You can walk around the door of the bed and maybe up 18” on each side before the “nightstand” starts. That makes for some scooting to get in or out. Far better than the alternative, but hardly a walk around.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #36

City: Decatur
Vessel Name: CraSeaHorse
Vessel Model: HiStar Seahorse
We have a 2004 HiStar 470 Sea Horse Trawler. Overall length is 54'; beam is 15'6"; draft 4'10". We are in our 60's and took our 1st trip from Decatur, Alabama to Marathon Keys two years ago. Flybridge, engine room, salon, 2 birth's are AC/heated. We loved being able to completely walk around the outside of our boat without the fear of falling.
Bladow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:15 PM   #37

City: Hernando Beach
36' Grand Banks MY

This one has a queen in the back, and an oversized double (almost a queen) in the front cabin.... both have a full heads. It is a unique model...........
check it out........

It is the yacht on their front page............ https://www.swfyachts.com/

Hope this helps.........
hernandobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:00 PM   #38
Rob

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen KK42
JD- there’s a Kadey Krogen Rondy going on this Sept over In Port Ludlow. This would be a great opportunity four you to see several different style KK’s. I have a 42 set up with stabilizers and other necessary cruising equipment moored fairly close to your location. I’d be more than happy to show you around, we do not have a walk around bed though!
Rob “Lady Anne” KK 42
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:24 PM   #39
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I see that "walk around" and smile. To me and my AT34, the bed has to be called a less than a walk around. At best each side, port and starboard 1/2 each plus the foot is 100%. The other part of the port and starboard is devoted to cabinets. Even if I removed the 2 cabinets, I couldnt get to the the head of the bed.
I dont know of anyone, with a fwd stateroom, who can honestly say they have a full walk around berth.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:08 PM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Have a one-side-access master berth. Sleep on the outside thanks to the bladder. When/if my sweetie might cross over me, it is a thrill.