Shortage of distilled water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course the media is behaving poorly by saying, "There may be a shortage of the following.", so everyone goes out, buys up the stock, creating a shortage.

Right now I find the shortage of 'red skin' Spanish peanuts rather annoying.
I may have to search amazon

So something else you blame on the media? The shortages and potential shortages are real. Should they not report them? Should they lie and say all is well, you're imagining any shortages?

To those of us in business, shortages were long ago predicted and media reporting on business also predicted. Now, the consumer doesn't follow the shutdowns of Chinese ports or the problems getting containers closely. Neither does most media. It's when it gets closer to impacting the shelves that it gets reported. The Port of Yantian was shut down by Covid in June. Now the Air Port of Hong Kong is at 75% capacity due to a positive test.

The chip shortages that have hit all auto producers and HP and Dell are expected to continue into 2022.

24/7 operation of the California ports isn't going to resolve this. It's simply one piece of the puzzle. Many others. They range from manufacturing problems thousands of miles away to delivery problems with truckers and UPS and Fedex and even the USPS. Just one piece. The average over the road truck driver earns $47,120 per year. That's for the privilege of driving 450 miles per day, sleeping in a truck, eating at truck stops and waffle houses and being away from family all week, many having no benefits, and then being laid off. While laid off, they found there were other better jobs and they aren't going back. New ones being trained and hired at even lower prices won't stay. The two jobs that people will not fill unless or until there is a major shift in pay and conditions are truck driving and wait staff.

Well technically yes, but isn't the product of condensation distilled?

Proper distilled water is bought to boiling point before the steam produced is condensed.

Condensate from domestic appliances does not reach those tempretures.

It would be better for a battery than tap water, but nowhere as good a properly distilled water.

Well technically yes, but isn't the product of condensation distilled?

Do you feel that condensed water on your car windows is distilled? Do you feel condensed breath on a mirror is distilled. IMO, the only correct way to attain fully "distilled" water is in an enclosed, sealed distillery [distilling] apparatus that allows no inroads for any sort of contaminations. Then you truly have "Pure" H2O for FLA batts and other pure water needs.

I've used an RO unit for years

Got it for a long gone aquarium, and wife's house plants, coffee maker (from home master) installed as an undersink unit, works great. (we are on well water)

I think I'm going to use beer in my batteries from now on and see what happens. Okay, not an unfiltered wheat like Boulevard. Lager maybe.

I think I'm going to use beer in my batteries from now on and see what happens. Okay, not an unfiltered wheat like Boulevard. Lager maybe.
I would recommend Bud Light. It’s basically crappy tasting water.

Of course the media is behaving poorly by saying, "There may be a shortage of the following.", so everyone goes out, buys up the stock, creating a shortage.
Right now I find the shortage of 'red skin' Spanish peanuts rather annoying.
I may have to search amazon

Totally agree! Media is often a self fulfilling prophecy!:D
How I wish they'd report that there was a shortage in stupidity of the world. The hope is that everyone would then go out and get as much as possible, thereby reducing the available supply . . . . . although one look at the internet would lay THAT idea to rest, as anyone with at least half a brain would quickly realize that rather than a shortage, there was an overabundance of it already readily available . . . :nonono: and in regular daily use!:whistling:
Anyway, my distilled water shortage has been corrected for the short term . . .

I went into our local Rite-Aid to pick up a prescription yesterday and I was curious. Same thing. Empty shelf. Weird.:nonono:

Go figure! I'm in Washington State, and I've been trying to find distilled water now for almost two weeks. Need to top off my batteries . . . and get some for my CPAP machine. So far, the following stores have been out and have no idea when they will receive more: Walmart (3 different stores)

• Safeway
  • Fred Meyer
  • Nex, Bangor
  • Commissary
  • Albertsons
  • Autozone
  • Napa
  • Big Lots
I've tried a few other places as well, but no luck.
I can't find any valid reason for the shortage. Anyone have any idea besides it's all in hoader's garages along with a 200 year supply of toilet paper and Lysol?:banghead:
I was reading a recent TF thread about RO water makers. It sounded as though that product was pretty pure. How close to distilled would it be?

So here is Florida saying they have port capacity, and please come ship through there.

Meanwhile, CA is getting more clogged.

Unfortunately, it adds 5,000 miles and many days and the Florida ports are too small to put more than a small dent in the backlog. Shippers are adjusting where it makes sense depending on final destination. If it's from Asia and destined for California you won't route through Florida. But Asian goods destined for New York, you might decide to reroute. We recently made a shipment that ports played a role in. Shipping to Australia from South Carolina warehouse. Normal would be to truck to the west coast and put on a boat there. Alternative is ship from Charleston but that adds two weeks to the normal schedule. We flew the goods. I just learned about that yesterday but there are people in every company making these decisions daily.

I would think Jacksonville could aid the GA / southeast as much as Savanah or Charleston?

By the way, what's the status of those two ports?

I would think Jacksonville could aid the GA / southeast as much as Savanah or Charleston?

By the way, what's the status of those two ports?

Savannah is the 4th largest US port at 4.4 million TEU's. That compares to 9.3 for Los Angeles. Charleston is less than half the size of Savannah. Jacksonville is about 5% the size of Savannah. Savannah is backed up but only about 80 ships the last I heard.

Los Angeles handles over 20% of all US volume. Long Beach about 15% and NY/Newark about 15%. That is then half of all US traffic.

Reactions: FWT
We are facing a severe shortage of these little plastics molded tips for transferring liquid in biological applications called pipette tips. We go through a lot of these things internally and sold in our kits. Our long time Germain supplier said they simply could not fill orders and we were going to be in serious trouble as we were about to run out. Finally found a supplier in China who has a compatible product so shipped two pallets from China Fed Ex. Cost per pallet of materials was about $1,300 and shipping was $3,000 for two! And now we are ordering 6-10 more pallets made and shipped by air.
Between the plastic shortage, the amount of these tips consumed for Covid testing and now shipping issues it's enough to drive you insane.

And things are just getting worse at the port of Long Beach. A couple of weeks ago when we were in Catalina we saw about a dozen container ships between Cat and the mainland just jogging to wait to get in. Now I count about 45 of them, and that doesn't include the 60 that are in the approach anchorage. So more than 100 cargo ships are waiting to get in at the moment.

Attachments

• MT Long Beach.jpg
    MT Long Beach.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 19
One of the funniest headlines I saw today was from a retail analyst, "Retail sales to be up significantly this holiday. Some shelves expected to be bare." Duh.

Classic lines from Chicago:
Does anybody really know what time it is (I don't).

I'm not sure anyone knows what to expect. If sales hit highest forecasts, then there will be shortages. If sales are lousy, then no one will care.

So many elements to what is going on today and this year is just as much a new experience as last year was.

Back
Top Bottom