Short Delivery Passage from Martha's Vineyard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidM

Valued Technical Contributor
Member bucktalley and I just got back from picking up his new to him Cape Dory 28 trawler and moving it from Martha's Vinyard to the mainland for subsequent shipment home to Virginia.

Bucktalley considered several other schemes, but all required first getting the boat to the mainland: buying or renting his own trailer to haul it home (too expensive), cruising the whole way home by water (too late in the season), truck shipment to Virginia, etc. He finally chose what I think is the best solution: bringing it across from MV to a yard near Providence which will truck it down to Virginia for him.

I volunteered to help with the MV passage, and this is a rather long report on that successful trip.

We did a lot of planning by phone, mostly what to bring and the logistics of the trip and it paid off with a no problems trip. He first drove to NW Connecticut where I live and the next day we drove to the boatyard in Warren, RI just SE of Providence where he left his car. Then we took an Uber to the Woods Hole ferry terminal and then the ferry to Vineyard Haven where we met the PO on the boat at a dock there.

He gave us a quick rundown of the boat and its systems and left us to ourselves for the rest of the day. We had brought what I thought were the necessary spares for the trip the next day: spare filters, impellers, etc but we couldn't get spare belts until we got there and saw what it had and matched them up at a nearby Napa store.

The alternator belt was very accessible and looked brand new. But the raw water pump was below the alternator down below the engine and it I couldn't easily find the mounting bolts (all by feel because I couldn't see them directly) to loosen them and remove the belt. The belt was ok so we decided to go without spare ones for the trip over.

So, we topped off the fuel tank for our crack of dawn departure the next morning. The wind had died as expected that morning and was only a few kts when we pulled out of Vineyard Haven. The first few hours were easy as we rounded West Chop and made our way down Vineyard Sound. But as we approached Cutty Hunk and the open ocean, the residual swells from the previous day's high winds started thrashing us around. We were easily rolling 30 degrees or more back and forth, but the Cape Dory held up fine, although my stomach was sure feeling it.

But after a couple of hours of that, it slowly abated and as we got to the inlet to Narragansett Bay it settled down completely. We weren't sure about its maximum cruising speed or the effect of currents but were pleasantly surprised that we had averaged about 7.5 kts and it looked like we were early.

So, we pulled into Newport Harbor for a quick look around. I had anchored or moored there a dozen times before but bucktalley had never been. It was nothing like the middle of the summer. The mooring field and most dock slips were empty. This was a Friday and I expect some weekend cruisers would show up on Saturday (today) as it is a gorgeous day. But the contrast from the middle of summer to mid fall was rather dramatic.

After that detour we made our way north and ended up at Ginalski's Yard in Warren a bit after 4:00 PM. The yard owner met us to help us tie up and we broke out the bourbon for a toast to completing our short delivery of about 60 NM.

The yard will haul the boat in a few days and the owner's sun will truck it down to Virginia in a week or so. We fully winterized the boat before we left.

This short but complex delivery went off without a hitch due to careful planning and a boat that was well cared for by the PO. All went very well.

Oh, a hats off to Aqua Map for navigating us there without a hitch. The boat had no navigation equipment aboard, so we used Aqua Map on my iPad propped up near the compass to navigate by. It worked great and the little blue boat icons nicely showed the expected current, which ranged up to 2 kts.

David

Gotta love the mouth of Buzzards Bay. It can be nasty. Wind or swells against current ain’t pretty. I’ve lost a few meals between there and Newport.

Question to DavidM, when you say too late in the season are you saying that it cant be done? Im looking for a GB myself and hopefully will be in it mid november. Was hoping to take it down south. Is this pretty much impossible at this time of yr?

Eli

David
Great story with some learnings for others.
You have honed your delivery skills and successful record over the years and trips.
Don

Eli doing the same. Started in RI now in chessie. But need to go home for at least 2 weeks. Like you interested in opinions. Some do the ICW in December. Wondering if they’re nuts. We did the first bit then left for the Caribbean and it was cold but not difficult.

Question to DavidM, when you say too late in the season are you saying that it cant be done? Im looking for a GB myself and hopefully will be in it mid november. Was hoping to take it down south. Is this pretty much impossible at this time of yr?

Eli

It is not impossible but not comfortable to do it in late October or later. It was in the low 40s the two nights we were on the boat. Without plug in electric heat, it would have been pretty miserable, so you would be staying at marinas with power for those colder nights rather than anchoring out. Also, from late October onward fronts come through with significant winds that are going to hold you up for a few days until they pass.

David

It is not impossible but not comfortable to do it in late October or later. It was in the low 40s the two nights we were on the boat. Without plug in electric heat, it would have been pretty miserable, so you would be staying at marinas with power for those colder nights rather than anchoring out. Also, from late October onward fronts come through with significant winds that are going to hold you up for a few days until they pass.

David

I saw a nice boat up in Maine. I guess i better get started sooner than later. Im not too worried about the cold than i am about fuel. Would fuel be another issue? Ive thought about the cold and im ok with that but the fuel thing literally just crossed my mind. Are there places still open or are most closed?

Eli

I saw a nice boat up in Maine. I guess i better get started sooner than later. Im not too worried about the cold than i am about fuel. Would fuel be another issue? Ive thought about the cold and im ok with that but the fuel thing literally just crossed my mind. Are there places still open or are most closed?

Eli

Many places will be closed, but depending on the fuel range of the boat you're looking at, you'll probably be able to manage with some calls ahead to confirm where you can get fuel. Same goes for dockage, it'll take more careful planning than during the summer.

The bigger pain will be water. Marinas turn off water on the docks when it gets too cold, so you'll either need long hoses or be carrying jugs of water to the boat in many places. You'll also spend more days waiting for good weather in the winter. It's certainly not the ideal time to do the trip, but not impossible.

The boats that you are looking at will easily make it from Maine to RI on much less than 200 gallons of fuel. 200 gallons is 1/2 tank on. GB 36.
Can be done in 3-4 full days. Finding weather windows will be harder and harder as every week goes by.

Last edited:
:thumb:

And if you do need fuel, there are always some marinas that stay open to serve the New England lobstermen. So you should always be able to fuel up somewhere.

But to the weather point made above, before our lovely 60 degree, bright and sunny with less than 10 kts of wind day that we made our crossing in, there was 3 days of 20 kts winds and rains, and today it is 15 kts and rain for a few days. Not my idea of a fun trip.

David

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom