Shoring up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But the pumps will buy you time while Sea Tow or the like respond with their pumps.
Possibly a solution if you never go far.
Do you ever travel anywhere where they don't exist?
No such thing in most of the world, you are on your own.

We have 4 x 3500gph pumps with float switches at various heights, the last one is alarmed
An additional 2 x 4000gph 240v submersible trash pumps available at the flick of a switch.
+ 2x 3500gph pumps with float switches in the spares locker.

Batteries and genset are about 3 ft higher than the bilge.
I reckon we'll be ready to leave if they look like getting drowned.

In theory, the fitted pumps can pump around 80 ton of water an hour.

Last edited:
Just now watched a news report on CTV ( a Canadian network) about a rescue within the past 24 hours of what looks like a 45 foot motor yacht sinking after striking rocks in the Fraser River B.C. Footage was taken from a helicopter or drone. Looks like it had stabilized with decks still above water but transom just about under.

They reported the crew had jumped in the water to get clear of the boat. Why? It was probably a very cold swim when clearly they could have stayed aboard until help arrived.

You always hear of the bodies recovered miles from the damaged but floating vessels, yet people still jump before they need to.

I assume because it was a river the swim was a short one but it couldn't be seen in the video. Still...

Just now watched a news report on CTV ( a Canadian network) about a rescue within the past 24 hours of what looks like a 45 foot motor yacht sinking after striking rocks in the Fraser River B.C. Footage was taken from a helicopter or drone. Looks like it had stabilized with decks still above water but transom just about under.

They reported the crew had jumped in the water to get clear of the boat. Why? It was probably a very cold swim when clearly they could have stayed aboard until help arrived.

You always hear of the bodies recovered miles from the damaged but floating vessels, yet people still jump before they need to.

I assume because it was a river the swim was a short one but it couldn't be seen in the video. Still...

85 footer (25m), "La Feline"
I don't know the folks, but have seen the boat at our YC outstations. The news says all were rescued by a passing boat before the CG helo took the footage shown on the news. Sad end to a fine looking yacht.

Another piece of this to consider is: how much of your hull is accessible from the inside (for those planning on stopping the water from within)? With fuel tanks, holding tanks, AC units, Engines, etc. how much of the actual hull interior can you get at enough to plug?

Another piece of this to consider is: how much of your hull is accessible from the inside (for those planning on stopping the water from within)? With fuel tanks, holding tanks, AC units, Engines, etc. how much of the actual hull interior can you get at enough to plug?

Forward of my aft engine room bulkhead, I've got pretty good access, although I can't say I'd fancy crawling very far into the forward bilge with lots of water coming in (only 1 way out and not a lot of space to move around in there). So for access up forward, it would depend on the damage and exactly where on the hull it is. Anywhere in the engine room is pretty easy short of damage directly under an engine, generator, holding tank or water heater where access is limited. Aft of the engine room, there's not a whole lot of access and certainly not much quick / easy access.

Not enough hence the pumps.

My problem with the above holed boat video is that there the guys at dockside in benign conditions. If you are a west coaster, imagine your boat has just hit a log (as did a trawler just outside of Nanaimo a few months ago) in not great ocean conditions. I'd like to see them duplicate their hole fix in 20 + knot winds and significant wave action as found in the Strait of Georgia.

Academic discussions are still worthy. The scope of their test was 'every day materials' and technique. I think you first need to determine if the material and method is viable, Then worry about the conditions.

The alternative is the same trial and error in the conditions your describing. IF you at least start the process with known materials and a roughly outlined process, at least you're starting somewhere. If I have two or three ideas, which have been vetted, I can make better decisions about which is applicable based on the conditions.

If my boat gets holed first, I would send out a destress, then go investigate the casualty. If my bilge pumps cannot keep up and/or make progress, I shall remember, my boat is insured then, prepare the dingy and toss the auto release raft over the side, grab a couple of handheld VHFs, (with GPS)

Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
My problem with the above holed boat video is that there the guys at dockside in benign conditions. If you are a west coaster, imagine your boat has just hit a log (as did a trawler just outside of Nanaimo a few months ago) in not great ocean conditions. I'd like to see them duplicate their hole fix in 20 + knot winds and significant wave action as found in the Strait of Georgia.
Academic discussions are still worthy. The scope of their test was 'every day materials' and technique. I think you first need to determine if the material and method is viable, Then worry about the conditions.

The alternative is the same trial and error in the conditions your describing. IF you at least start the process with known materials and a roughly outlined process, at least you're starting somewhere. If I have two or three ideas, which have been vetted, I can make better decisions about which is applicable based on the conditions."

My conclusion after I thought about the post, you are right.

Excellent point. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try but..

That's what a collision blanket is for

Attachments

• scmat_.jpg
    scmat_.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 85
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 87
That's what a collision blanket is for

You may have misread my post.

"For those planning on stopping the water from within.."

Last edited:
You may have misread my post.

For those looking to shore from within the vessel....

Stopping water from the outside with a blanket is faster and more effective.

Once the flow is slowed by the blanket, more time is available to affect further repair.

For those looking to shore from within the vessel....

Ideally you'd want to be prepared to do either to at least some extent. Depending on the location and nature of the damage you might be forced to work from outside. Or you might be able to patch it better / faster from inside. For damage in an area accessible from either, the exact nature of the damage, time available, sea state to work in, etc. may leave one or the other as the better option.

If we're talking log or rock impact to hull, you're probably fixing from outside regardless of location. If it's a smaller puncture or a broken seacock, that may be a different situation. And as syjos mentioned, sometimes you may want to work from outside to slow the water, then make a slightly better fix that will have less impact on your ability to get the boat somewhere for repairs.

Stopping water from the outside with a blanket is faster and more effective.

Once the flow is slowed by the blanket, more time is available to affect further repair.

Could very well be. But that was not the point of my post.

Which was:

Back
Top Bottom