Old 03-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #1

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
Oldie but Goodie

ran across this trawler yacht today. before today, I'd never heard of this boat but I really like it. It's a shame the builder stopped producing it and I'm sure there is a story behind why. Westcoast 46 Express, a Monk Jr. design enhanced by Forbes Cooper.

Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:35 PM   #2

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
She is a nice looking vessel.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Beautiful boat, great layout. But...compared to mine, 14 yrs old is not that old! Mine's turning 41 this year, but youth and size have advantages.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
She is a beautiful boat for sure!

In the mid 00's there were a number of Westcoast 46 tricabins produced that were modifications of a Tollycraft design; not sure if it was a shortened 48 or a lengthened 43.

I suspect that this Westcoast 46 was an express version on the same hull as the tricabin. A friend had a 2005 version of the tricabin 46 and quite liked it.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
"Oldie but goodie" ??? I agree with FlyWright, that boat is a spring chicken!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Forbes Cooper started building sailboats a very long time ago. In the early 70s he had a license from Catalina and put a ton of 22s and 27s into the Vancouver market, many of which are still around as a great starter sailboat. Later on he was building Maple Leafs, 42s, 45s, 48s, 54s, and up, many of which went off shore, Ganbares, Fortune 30, Cooper, Banner,. I had one of his Seabird 37 sailboats. Build quality was good, on those and all of his boats.
He entered the power boat market and had a line of Prowlers, mid 30's to mid 40's. Again nothing wrong with build quality.
He entered the huge yacht market and left mid sized power behind for a number of years with the Queenship line. He was out for a while, returning with a series of one-offs, all called "Roamer" that he would own himself for a few years each, and the Westcoast line. Some were very unique.
I haven't seen him around for a couple of years, so I don't know if old age may have caught up with him.
He was an icon in the Vancouver boating community. He put a lot of nice boats on the local waters.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Agreed about Mr Cooper. Did not know him other than by reputation and his plethora of builds. Nice boats all of them, at least I think so.

I believe the Westcoast was a stretched 43 Tolly hull, not a shrunken 48. It was written up quite a few years ago in our local Pacific Yachting magazine.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Durn, Jim. I'm with FlyW on this - my boat is 42 and just got a topside Awlgrip facelift.for her birthday. In any case, very nice boat.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Too fast for a trawler, but thankfully it has no flybridge!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #10
Guru

City: Anacortes
The west coast 46 is based on the 43 Tolly hull with a nicely lengthened cockpit. The 43 and 48 hulls are very similar, both having a round chine and a moderate keel. You can always tell a 43 from the 48 as the 43 has both the lower and upper spray rail, 48 only has the lower. They both plane surprisingly well with minimal bow lift, but I think they really come into their own at displacement speeds. Some accused the 43 of being a bit rolly, but I’m of the opinion that much of that was more to do with misunderstanding the characteristics of the soft chined hull in comparison to the typical hard chined boats in the rest of the lineup. The feel of these hulls is confidence building, and while they will roll a little farther, it’s a slower and confident feel. Spend a few hours crossing the Straight of Georgia and this hull will leave you with more energy at the days end. Few were ever stabilized.

Saw a 46 west express come blasting through Malibu Rapids couple years ago a bit before slack water. Very impressive. Nicely fitted too.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Loved the video.

Immediately picked up my checkbook and went to the broker's website shown at the end of the video to get the price.

The website didn't even show the boat on their listings!

Imagine that, all the money spent on a great video, then they don't even show it on their website. SHEESH!
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljk View Post
Loved the video.

Immediately picked up my checkbook and went to the broker's website shown at the end of the video to get the price.

The website didn't even show the boat on their listings!

Imagine that, all the money spent on a great video, then they don't even show it on their website. SHEESH!
Maybe it sold to the first guy who saw the video.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote