Shopping PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
After a too long a hiatus I am going to renew my subscription to Sea Magazine and am wondering if there are any other PNW publications, other than Pacific Yachting that are good broker resources.

Also, I have to make a choice of September shows and I guess I will hit Lake Union instead of Lido; too bad 'cause it's a good one. Also, with that in mind can you run some reputable buyers brokers by me to chat with while I'm there? Ok, I know that the exchange, non US boat duty etc. will drive my Canadian equivalent up as much as 60% but I'm doing all my budgeting in US dollars anyway.

Also, while I'm at it maybe you Islanders can point to some reliable Victoria area brokers that work well with buyers. I worked with Rom Van Stolk years ago and will probably look him up again.

***A PM is fine if you are hesitant to toss names out here.

Last edited:
Rom or Greg at Cedar Grove Yachts and maybe give Larry at Bayview Yachts (former Advance Yacht Sales) a call.

Rom or Greg at Cedar Grove Yachts and maybe give Larry at Bayview Yachts (former Advance Yacht Sales) a call.

Great, thanks kindly, Mike.
I'll wait a bit until the rains come so as to not take their time from real and current prospects.

I have been working with Nancy Rink and Frank Durksen at Yacht Finders in Anacortes.
I am satisfied.

I have been working with Nancy Rink and Frank Durksen at Yacht Finders in Anacortes.
I am satisfied.

Thanks, they are only a short ferry trip away.:)
It was a lot easier from Vancouver to do a weekend or even day scout in WA but I doubt I will ever regret moving to the Island. I think my life expectancy just expanded 10 years.

Hmmm...
Always something new to think about.
Was about to start checking for pet friendly hotels near the show and realized maybe a 12 pound tail wiggler wouldn't be too welcome on the docks that weekend, eh?

We used Scott Blake at Northwest Explorations in Bellingham. They are primarily Grand Banks and other upmarket brands but I'm sure they know about other boat makes and models as well. He is an outstanding broker.

Hawg-this is Seattle. People bring their dogs everywhere. Yours ay find soe friends on the docks!

Hard to even imagine Marinas that did not want dogs around

Hard to even imagine Marinas that did not want dogs around

With more US households having more dogs than kids, I agree, under normal circumstances but thought maybe it would be frowned upon at such a congested event.

We used Scott Blake at Northwest Explorations in Bellingham. They are primarily Grand Banks and other upmarket brands but I'm sure they know about other boat makes and models as well. He is an outstanding broker.

Good to know, thanks.
They would certainly have access to a wide GB market.

People even bring dogs into grocery stores and clothing stores in the PNW.

People even bring dogs into grocery stores and clothing stores in the PNW.

"People" do all kinds of things that are frowned upon by others; I just wanted to CMA on the respectful thing to do at a boat show in a foreign land.

Last edited:
Hawg,

We used Brian Kell at Grand Yachts in Coal Harbor, Vancouver. We made an offer on a boat through his brokage that was right except the Canadian seller did not want to sell the boat into the U.S. Without a contract from us, Brian took a large risk in purchasing the boat from the seller and then selling the boat to us. He is a very knowledgeable broker and conducted a very professional and smooth transaction. Yes, the fine print states we have no interest in Brian or Grand Yachts.

"People" do all kinds of things that are frowned upon by others; I just wanted to CMA on the respectful thing to do at a boat show in a foreign land.
I don't recall seeing any dogs at either the Lake Union or CL venues.

And lots of places in the PNW have restrictions on dogs (except "service animals") even when it doesn't seem to make sense. I would check the event site or ask someone at NMTA.

That said, you probably won't be able to take your dog onto the boats. Shedding, allergies, claw marks, whatever. I don't see this being possible. Which means tying your dog up to...a power pedestal? Relatively few of these - most power is supplied by shore generator and snaked along the temporary floats. Perhaps tying to sales signage? Seems iffy depending on dealer.

If you have visions of your hound following you around off-leash and jumping on and touring boats with you, I think you'll be disappointed.

Parking is also limited, lots of folks bus/shuttle/SLUT between venues. I doubt that pets are permitted on shuttles. They can even be disallowed by a public bus driver. No idea about SLUT.

I don't recall seeing any dogs at either the Lake Union or CL venues.

And lots of places in the PNW have restrictions on dogs (except "service animals") even when it doesn't seem to make sense. I would check the event site or ask someone at NMTA.

That said, you probably won't be able to take your dog onto the boats. Shedding, allergies, claw marks, whatever. I don't see this being possible. Which means tying your dog up to...a power pedestal? Relatively few of these - most power is supplied by shore generator and snaked along the temporary floats. Perhaps tying to sales signage? Seems iffy depending on dealer.

If you have visions of your hound following you around off-leash and jumping on and touring boats with you, I think you'll be disappointed.

Parking is also limited, lots of folks bus/shuttle/SLUT between venues. I doubt that pets are permitted on shuttles. They can even be disallowed by a public bus driver. No idea about SLUT.

I had considered all your points, so was surprised at so many here basically seeing it as a non-issue. But, I would have bet he couldn't board, which meant we would have to take turns. No fun in that and no way he is going to be tied to anything out of our sight...he wouldn't be there when we returned.
Transit? Not an issue as we would be walking from a hotel nearby.

$100 for a day sitter makes more sense.

Not an issue as we would be walking from a hotel nearby.

If you haven't already booked your hotel, look into staying at a Kimpton. They are very pet friendly!
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439482712.490710.jpg

If you haven't already booked your hotel, look into staying at a Kimpton. They are very pet friendly!
View attachment 43135

Thanks, I'll add that to my "bring Fido" list.
As of this morning there is still room within couple blocks of the marina so we can walk to check in on him and not have to line up to use the head.

Hawg,

We used Brian Kell at Grand Yachts in Coal Harbor, Vancouver. We made an offer on a boat through his brokage that was right except the Canadian seller did not want to sell the boat into the U.S. Without a contract from us, Brian took a large risk in purchasing the boat from the seller and then selling the boat to us. He is a very knowledgeable broker and conducted a very professional and smooth transaction. Yes, the fine print states we have no interest in Brian or Grand Yachts.

Thanks. There is a Grand Yachts office in Sidney.
Cross border shopping is a hot topic and a pendulum. All depends where you are in the deal. Right now a lot of our stock is going south. Brokers love it local buyers don't. That was a sweet arrangement you had. Made the government happy too I guess, collecting double tax, unless brokers are exempt if boats are purchased for "stock."

I'd like to support Marin's recommendation of Scott Blake at NW Explorations, Bellingham. He helped me find the perfect boat for me. Very professional and extremely knowledgeable.

Thanks. There is a Grand Yachts office in Sidney.
Cross border shopping is a hot topic and a pendulum. All depends where you are in the deal. Right now a lot of our stock is going south. Brokers love it local buyers don't. That was a sweet arrangement you had. Made the government happy too I guess, collecting double tax, unless brokers are exempt if boats are purchased for "stock."

At the time we paid 1.5% import tax and saved 11% on the purchase due to the favorable exchange rate. You are correct about the falling Canadian dollar. The exchange rate today is about 30% in favor of the U.S. Dollar.

Waggoner Cruising Guide - Waggoner Cruising Guide

It is the e-mag version of Pacific Norwesting which stopped publishing the print version a couple years ago.

Look and there is a sign up for the e-mag.

They run ads also which should be of help.

Thank you.
I have other Waggoners but was unaware of this one.
Looks good so I just subscribed.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom