Old 11-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

City: Alouette
Vessel Name: No name
Vessel Model: on the market for one...
Northwest trawlers

Anyone have comments or review of the Northwest trawlers -45-50' range? Don't seem to see much thread on this brand of trawlers...

Thanks
Lrbouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
I have a Nordic Tug, but I have to say I like the drier bow flare and height of the NW along with the more modern, sea worthy look.
http://northwestyachts.com/
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I had a purchase contract on a NW 45 a few months ago. I had it surveyed and chose to pass. Send me a PM if you want details.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I have a Nordic Tug, but I have to say I like the drier bow flare and height of the NW along with the more modern, sea worthy look.
Northwest Yachts - Motoryachts with a Trawler Pedigree
Mee too. Love the look. I came across this rare Nova Scotia 47 last year in our marina. Similar look and build. Beautiful inside too.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

very interesting...never seen before
Old 11-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I believe the owner of Northwest Trawlers is a member here. He doesn't log on often but is quite approachable and easy to speak with on the phone. Give him a call and ask him your questions.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Scroll down to the "standing headroom" engine compartment drawing... !!!!

http://northwestyachts.com/northwest-48/
Old 11-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Scroll down to the "standing headroom" engine compartment drawing... !!!!

Northwest Yachts 48 - Trawler Style Motoryacht
Not standing headroom for some of us.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
When I was looking, I was impressed with the design of the Northwest Trawlers. Unfortunately, the price point was way out of my league.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #10

Many thanks to all ...
Old 11-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
As per a previous poster's comment......I don't get to get on TF as often as I would like. If there are questions about Northwest that you would like answered, I am happy to respond, either on TF or by PM.

Seasalt007 remarked about passing on a Northwest after survey. I only know of one Northwest 45, that at the conclusion of survey, the buyer elected to not move forward and that was quite recently in Florida. The reason I heard the boat was rejected was blisters below the waterline. If that is the case, it is quite unfortunate as the Northwest 45 and 50 hulls were all vacuum infused, using 100% vinyl ester resins. Then 2 coats of Interprotect 2000 were applied before bottom paint. This makes it highly unlikely that there was osmotic blistering.

I heard from a reliable source that the boat owner pulled the boat again after the sale fell through to have any blister issues addressed. The yard found that the "blisters" were simply some bubbles in the bottom paint. A light sanding and they were gone.

To BandB about standing headroom......agreed...but 72" gives full standing headroom to most of us. Especially me since I have lost over an inch in the past 10 years due to aging.
__
Northern Marine
OkSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkSkipper View Post

To BandB about standing headroom......agreed...but 72" gives full standing headroom to most of us. Especially me since I have lost over an inch in the past 10 years due to aging.
__
Just as a matter of information, 72" is actually the 75th percentile of males now, so there's about 25% of the population for whom it is not standing height. That said, I don't think any of us taller would reject a boat because there "was only" 72" headroom in the engine room. Hallways, living area, master stateroom, head, are a different story, but I would expect to have to bend in an engine room at my height.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

When reviewing specifications for aircraft, I always thought it funny that the FAA deemed an adult to be 170 lbs for purposes of calculating how many passengers in a light aircraft.

When designing the living spaces on a boat, we us 80" as nominal head room. Another important consideration is showers. My criteria was to be able to wash my hair and not bump my elbows on the sides. It requires a minimum of 29" square.......larger if room allows.
Northern Marine
Old 11-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Mee too. Love the look. I came across this rare Nova Scotia 47 last year in our marina. Similar look and build. Beautiful inside too.
I'm guessing this is a "NW Trawler".
This one and most of the rest look really top heavy to me. How could they not be?
They look better than a Carver but don't compare to a GB and the like.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #15
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
As per a previous poster's comment......I don't get to get on TF as often as I would like. If there are questions about Northwest that you would like answered, I am happy to respond, either on TF or by PM.

Seasalt007 remarked about passing on a Northwest after survey. I only know of one Northwest 45, that at the conclusion of survey, the buyer elected to not move forward and that was quite recently in Florida. The reason I heard the boat was rejected was blisters below the waterline. If that is the case, it is quite unfortunate as the Northwest 45 and 50 hulls were all vacuum infused, using 100% vinyl ester resins. Then 2 coats of Interprotect 2000 were applied before bottom paint. This makes it highly unlikely that there was osmotic blistering.

I heard from a reliable source that the boat owner pulled the boat again after the sale fell through to have any blister issues addressed. The yard found that the "blisters" were simply some bubbles in the bottom paint. A light sanding and they were gone.

__
Not true. I rejected the boat because it had many blisters as confirmed by my SAMS surveyor who dug several out down to the mat and roving.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I'm guessing this is a "NW Trawler".
This one and most of the rest look really top heavy to me. How could they not be?
They look better than a Carver but don't compare to a GB and the like.
There are some vague similarities but no, it isn't a Northwest.
Northern Marine
Old 11-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #17

Quote:

__

I take it you are with team Northwest and that indeed you do have a very good knowledge of the product. I'd be happy to hear why we don't hear much about this beautiful trawler (company). Note that i did have a nice chat with the owner of Northwest trawlers back a few years at the Victoria boat show.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #18
Guru

On the X section I note good access at the center between the two motors. But from the drawing I wonder about the outboard side of each motor that looks very tight. On my boat the access on centerline is good(not standing) the outboard side of the motors would be terrible but for the fact that the motors are under motor boxes that rise out of the way with power lifts exposing the tops and sides . Most but not all maintenance issues have been placed mid line but not all. If you are placing a high priority on personal maintenance and good access you should personally go aboard and try to squish into those outboard area. If you plan to pay others to do the work it may not be an issue.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #19
Guru

City: Anacortes
Looked at the drawing of the standing headroom in the NW48, basically there is a wide keel that you walk in. In the drawing while standing in the keel your shoulders are below the top of the engines (it's a twin). There appears to be about one foot of clearance from the top of the engines to the overhead. How do you reach the outboard side of the engines? You can't reach over the top. Crawl up and around, I guess.
sean9c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Serenity 2.0
Vessel Model: Mimosa 40
They look great - I'll take a 52. I'm sure it would look perfect hanging out around the Witsunday Islands and Great Barrier Reef.

Rhino
Rhinoc is offline   Reply With Quote