Ship's Log & Maintenance Log books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am using Miccrosoft One Note. It is somewhat free form as it can contain text, photos, pdfs (like of a repair bill), spread sheets, or whatever. It can all be chronological or set up with separate pages for each topic ( maintenance, trip log, receipts,, equipment manuals, guest list, or whatever). It is somewhat hard to grasp all it can do when you first start with it, unless you realize it is just like an electronic notebook binder or scrap book that you fill with whatever you want.

Thank you to all for sharing. I had not heard of some of these tools/products so I am glad I asked.

The military uses multiple logs , a rough log for what happened , a smooth log a legal document and most important the PDL (pass down log).

The PDL will cover many items with simple explanations as WHY the task is being done.

Checking fuel on , sea cocks open, exhaust clear before start for example.

It would also cover problems , what to do if the engine doesn't crank'

A simple explanation and diagram of battery switch position .

Water in the bilge , engine room fire would also be covered.

The PDL explains operation , and a good one will explain WHY the procedure is used for normal operation and unusual operations. Most are read underway when "nothing" is happening.

A good PDL may reduce the time a boat is for sale , and would be a blessing to the next owner.

Create yours now?

Last edited:
Log v. Task Tracking

I took a topic list..., tailored it..., and then added some logic that takes the last service hours/date, calculates the next service hours/date, and uses Excell's conditional formatting to compare the next service to the current hours/date to flag upcoming and past due maintenance items.

A clarification regarding my spreadsheet use: It records that last service performed to be able to highlight when the next service is needed.

I log completion of each maintenance task in our chronological paper log book, a leather bound journal purchase at a stationary store. The log will pass to the next owner with the boat. It has a nice feel.

The log includes a lot of other trip data so I also summarize task completions, fuel loads and battery readings in simple lists in the back of the log; this makes finding the information easier than searching the chronology.

When underway there is lots of time for pondering what to do next.

Last edited:
Depends upon activity.

On passage at every change of watch
Position, weather, tankage, hours of engine, water maker and generator, any radio traffic, any maintenance or repair, all change of watch check lists (boat, engine, SOC/voltages etc.). I want to know changes. I want to know if changes represent a current or future problem and to check reliability of gauges and people recording the data. I’ve have had gauges fail needing us to resort to dipsticks and have had nav equipment fail needing us to resort to backups. Even DR on one occasion.
Separately keep a maintenance log which includes part #s, origin and vendor if outside help is involved. We do rip off labels and write the date of installation on them for filters and such as a backup to the logs.
Short coastal hops and day tripping is more loosy goosey. Just the maintenance stuff usually unless it’s a cruise. Then treat it like a passage. Have a blank space for comments. People write amusing stuff and there’s always something you didn’t account for in your columns . Will probably buy a maintenance program in the future but for now paper has worked well. Just use our home printer to print out the sheets and a loose leaf binder. Start every trip with a who’s crew line.
Like paper for the log. Find it’s easier when there’s multiple people involved then having them share a tablet or laptop. And its read only by its nature which is good for a legal document

Last edited:
I use Excel exclusively. The beauty of that is, you can do with it whatever you want. Your own custom log book software. If your OK in Excel, it does not take much to setup, and once it's setup, you can port it to new boats, show it to a prospective buyer (and give it to him/her at time of sale which will make they very happy...).

I keep about 15 different tabs in one big spreadsheet, which I print out whenever significant updates are made and put them in vinyl 3 ring sleeves which are inserted into a small 3 ring binder I keep on the boat for reference. I also keep an updated copy on my iPhone which I can reference anytime... you can also store it in the cloud if you wish, so you can always get to it from anywhere.

My main tabs are:
Reference Tab:

System(Hull, Mechanical, Electrical, Pluming, accessory), Make, Model, SN#, Date, Stock, Cost, Vendor, Notes

This is where I keep all parts of the vessel listed with where to get, cost, when I installed it/bought it, if I have any in stock if applicable(filters, zincs..). This tab starts small when you buy a boat, just the main stuff you know (hull, engines, transmissions, electronics....). Then as you learn more about the boat, or investigate things/replace/upgrade things you add to this tab. Add AC/heat, filters, zincs, cables, detailed items... Usually by the time I sell a boat, it's almost a complete parts list for the entire boat.

Ships Log Tab:

Date, Time, Engine Hours P & S, Distance, Place, Notes

Just a basic ships usage log,each time I use the boat it's logged in... even if I just idled in the slip for 20 minutes to warm up the motors to change the oil or something.

Fuel Log Tab:

Date, Engine Hours P & S, Gallons, Cost, Vendor, Notes, [MPG, GPH]

A basic fuel log, with some calculations in the last 2 columns to calculate MPG and gallons per hour based off the engine ours, and distances from the ships log and fuel log tabs. So you always have running totals, and can make sure nothing is changing. If fuel burn rates suddenly changes, you know it's telling you something... I also add a calculation based on average burn rates over time, to calculate how much fuel is left in the tank and the range left (estimates that after a few years, end up dead on!)

To Do List Tab:

A simple list of open items to do... no explanation required, we all have this list unfortunately! ;)

Maintenance Tab:
Item, Time-frame, Vendor, Notes, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024....

A list of items that require regular maintenance, filters, zincs, oil changes, heat ex-changer clean-outs, windshield wipers,... You can get as detailed as you wish, I put in everything. If something is supposed to be changed every 3 years, I yellow highlight the box in that items row every 3 years so when I get to that year, I know it's due. I enter the date or engine hours into each items box under the year column when stuff is completed. A quick look at this tab, and you can see what was done, what wasn't, what's overdue, and whats upcoming next year at a glance.

Winterize Tab:
A simple todo list in order of what needs to be done to lay the boat up for winter, including a parts list of what's needed and whats in stock (antifreeze, oil, filters, zincs...).

Spring Commission Tab:
Same as above but for commissioning...

Electronic Interfaces Tab:
A reference list for what is connected to what, and using what wires and where. I include a picture of connection terminals where applicable. example: VHF yellow wire (NMEA+ in) to Garmin GPS blue wire (NMEA+ out)... This can be very helpful when somehting isn't working or you upgrading something....

Contacts/Vendors Tab:

This entire thing comes in VERY handy when you are selling the boat as well!

Last edited:
Gave up extensive spreadsheets when I quit working. Bought ship and maintenance log books after I purchased the current boat. Threw them away shortly after. Carry a file folder case with manuals and notes for all systems. Expenses by year, Insurance & registration files etc. A notebook with checklist, projects and maintenance part numbers. Good working hour meter

Gave up extensive spreadsheets when I quit working. Bought ship and maintenance log books after I purchased the current boat. Threw them away shortly after. Carry a file folder case with manuals and notes for all systems. Expenses by year, Insurance & registration files etc. A notebook with checklist, projects and maintenance part numbers. Good working hour meter

DON'T LOOSE the notebook! ;)

I would greatly appreciate hearing what others are using these days for both Ship's Logs and Maintenance Logs.

Maintenance Log thoughts:
I have been operating under the assumption that all items requiring routine maintenance were due for service and I'm working through this backlog as well as using my survey to prioritize projects. So far I have been tracking my maintenance, repairs and upgrades on a hodgepodge of Google Sheets, google calendar, stored my records (insurance, survey) digitally and hard copy on the vessel. I'd like to commit to something a little more streamline and straightforward. I plan to continue performing the majority of repairs and maintenance myself I would like to standardize how I document them.

Ships Log thoughts:
I honestly don't see myself recording every engine and generator start, heading changes, every trip to the pump out, but I would like to track the days I leave the marina, my engine temps (highest daily), my oil pressure (at cruise and hot idle) for future reference. I will probably put fewer than 100 hours on the boat this season but am really just wanting to establish a sustainable practice.

After using premade logs and found it wanted things I didn't, I made my own. I have several boxes per page and in that box at the top are common maintenance items spread horizontally. I circle the item and in the space below record the details. The date and engine hours go at the very top of the box. On the far right I circle "Major" for when the work is extensive and I have a page just for Major work.

For ships log I also made my own. We have traveled the East Coast but are now in Annapolis. I have 2 types of sheets: long and short. The short is for short hops of a few hours. At the top is a panel for start point, weather (with icons for sun/types of clouds/temp./wind), and local tide times for current position and probable destinations. The rest of the page is divided into columns for the info I want: course, fix, change in conditions, etc. and always comments. At the bottom is an area for anchorage, type anchor, bottom condition, weather, engine hours and comments.

These are in a loose-leaf notebook and entered by hand. There are other specialized segments such as Routine engine with battery checks and fills; Routine fill-ups (water, propane, etc.) with date, engine hour and price columns. They need little more than checking Another segment is Top-Secret - instructions of how to get into difficult places, who to contact in such and such places, etc.

I've set these up in the computer and print them. This format has worked well for us for about 30+ years.

How to Create Maintenance List and Schedule

As a new, first-time trawler owner I’m fining this thread very interesting. I’m particularly interested in creating a list and schedule for all the systems and items which need periodic maintenance. Suggestions?

As a new, first-time trawler owner I’m fining this thread very interesting. I’m particularly interested in creating a list and schedule for all the systems and items which need periodic maintenance. Suggestions?

A month or two ago, a very nice couple from Annapolis looked at my old boat docked at Herrington Harbor as they were on the verge of buying a 430 Mainship. Sounds like you may very well be the same couple, small world, as I am the OP on this thread

To answer your question, the biggest ticket maintenance items are related to your main propulsion. Try and get a service or at least an owners manual for it.

Most owners including myself check engine oil level, transmission fluid level, alternator/water pump belt tension before each day of use as well as a visual inspection of the engine room for leaks or anything out of place. The generator requires the same checks but you may choose to skip if not used on the last trip. It really depends on preference.

On a monthly basis it is smart to inspect the enclosed bilge spaces for anything out of place. Check battery terminals and all hose connections you can see. Steering fluid levels and greasing linkages are a good monthly check too.

Belts, Engine zincs, oil, oil filter, and fuel filters, and raw water pump impellers should be changed on a annual basis at a minimum. Oil changes increase with usage between 100-200 hours but this ofen aligns with the annual usage. Exterior zincs require annual replacement and generally bottom paint needs to be refreshed every year. If equiped, the thrusters require periodic fluid changes, annual is a good frequency. Also annually is a thorough hull and topside cleaning/polishing and waxing. Inspecting thevcondition of all deck hardware bedding (caulking or
Butyl tape) for cracking or water ingress below.

There are alot of other systems that it is beat to lookup the manufacturer's guidance but be sure to include anythibg that moves or requires power: windlass, HVAC equipment, refrigeration systems, davit systems, stabilizers trim tabs, etc that I can't make general frequency for.

gdavid,
Nice info, but I think he is looking for suggestions on a good logbook, to track the maintenance, not a list of the things he needs to maintain. ;-)

Surboum,

This thread has tons of great info and suggestions on applications and how folks keep a logbook for the vessels. I'd guess, its about 60% Excel, 20% paper, and 20% prepacked software applications. Just a guess from what I read here...

As mentioned previously in the thread, I like the Excel option. You can make it as detailed or non-detailed as you like, and keep lists of lots of things, not just maintenance all in one place. Can be used at home, on the go, on your mobile phone.... can be printed, can be given to new owner if you sell, can be used for warranty purposes if you need to prove you did the required maintenance... good luck and enjoy the new boat!

Your system sounds like what I want to do as well, would you be willing to share your excel file?

I use Excel exclusively. The beauty of that is, you can do with it whatever you want. Your own custom log book software. If your OK in Excel, it does not take much to setup, and once it's setup, you can port it to new boats, show it to a prospective buyer (and give it to him/her at time of sale which will make they very happy...).

I keep about 15 different tabs in one big spreadsheet, which I print out whenever significant updates are made and put them in vinyl 3 ring sleeves which are inserted into a small 3 ring binder I keep on the boat for reference. I also keep an updated copy on my iPhone which I can reference anytime... you can also store it in the cloud if you wish, so you can always get to it from anywhere.

My main tabs are:
Reference Tab:

System(Hull, Mechanical, Electrical, Pluming, accessory), Make, Model, SN#, Date, Stock, Cost, Vendor, Notes

This is where I keep all parts of the vessel listed with where to get, cost, when I installed it/bought it, if I have any in stock if applicable(filters, zincs..). This tab starts small when you buy a boat, just the main stuff you know (hull, engines, transmissions, electronics....). Then as you learn more about the boat, or investigate things/replace/upgrade things you add to this tab. Add AC/heat, filters, zincs, cables, detailed items... Usually by the time I sell a boat, it's almost a complete parts list for the entire boat.

Ships Log Tab:

Date, Time, Engine Hours P & S, Distance, Place, Notes

Just a basic ships usage log,each time I use the boat it's logged in... even if I just idled in the slip for 20 minutes to warm up the motors to change the oil or something.

Fuel Log Tab:

Date, Engine Hours P & S, Gallons, Cost, Vendor, Notes, [MPG, GPH]

A basic fuel log, with some calculations in the last 2 columns to calculate MPG and gallons per hour based off the engine ours, and distances from the ships log and fuel log tabs. So you always have running totals, and can make sure nothing is changing. If fuel burn rates suddenly changes, you know it's telling you something... I also add a calculation based on average burn rates over time, to calculate how much fuel is left in the tank and the range left (estimates that after a few years, end up dead on!)

To Do List Tab:

A simple list of open items to do... no explanation required, we all have this list unfortunately! ;)

Maintenance Tab:
Item, Time-frame, Vendor, Notes, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024....

A list of items that require regular maintenance, filters, zincs, oil changes, heat ex-changer clean-outs, windshield wipers,... You can get as detailed as you wish, I put in everything. If something is supposed to be changed every 3 years, I yellow highlight the box in that items row every 3 years so when I get to that year, I know it's due. I enter the date or engine hours into each items box under the year column when stuff is completed. A quick look at this tab, and you can see what was done, what wasn't, what's overdue, and whats upcoming next year at a glance.

Winterize Tab:
A simple todo list in order of what needs to be done to lay the boat up for winter, including a parts list of what's needed and whats in stock (antifreeze, oil, filters, zincs...).

Spring Commission Tab:
Same as above but for commissioning...

Electronic Interfaces Tab:
A reference list for what is connected to what, and using what wires and where. I include a picture of connection terminals where applicable. example: VHF yellow wire (NMEA+ in) to Garmin GPS blue wire (NMEA+ out)... This can be very helpful when somehting isn't working or you upgrading something....

Contacts/Vendors Tab:

This entire thing comes in VERY handy when you are selling the boat as well!

Birdman, I would be interested as well, if you would be willing to share your file!

Per request from "Sharked" I've described my version of the Excel spreadsheet.

The Maintenance tab is a running list of all maintenance done to the boat and that helps keep periodic maintenance on schedule.

In the Costs tab there are various categories and you can make these auto calculating or not, depending on how sophisticated you want to be. The subcategories are: fuel, marina fees, equipment/supplies, maintenance, labor, marina electricity charges, storage and subscriptions. The subscriptions part of that sheet is for costs such as BoatUS membership, satellite TV, etc. in each subcategory there are columns for hours and dates as appropriate. All subcategories are shown in the first column as a summary.

The Engine tab is the record for your engine(s) and is useful for periodic maintenance scheduling and includes columns for the job, date, and comment. The Genset tab is generally the same.

I use the Task tab for jobs I need or want to do.

The beauty of the spread sheet is you can tailor it to suit your needs, even after you have started it. If you want a copy in Excel, just contact me with your email and I'll send the template along as I found the PDF format does not capture it accurately and the Forum does not permit an Excel copy to be attached. I did attach a screen shot of the sheet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 11.49.49 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 11.49.49 AM.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 35
Your system sounds like what I want to do as well, would you be willing to share your excel file?

would you mind sharing your excel spreadsheet?

Logbook Suite

/ www.logbooksuite.com /

Not cheap, but it has everything and internationally accepted.

LeoKa - Do you use this LogBook Suite? I've been looking at it, and the thing that appeals to me for trip logs is that it pulls all the data off the N2K wireless feed in the boat and fills that in at whatever intervals you want. It can automatically log the weather data, position, SOG, COG, etc. It can include a Google Maps photo of the location, and your own written text as well as photos.

I'd really like to hear from someone who actually uses it.

I don't think the maintenance module looks so great, but the trip log looks very interesting.

I tend to throw everything into a file on board. Receipts, anecdotal notes etc. For me it’s called a vacation and I don’t want to get mired down with statistics, though I do really admire those sailors that do keep good notes!

Back
Top Bottom