Old 06-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #1

City: Friday Harbor
Vessel Name: Crossroads
Vessel Model: North Pacific 34
Shipping a radome

Hello All;
Ive recently sold my 15 year old Raymarine electronics on eBay, with one exception, the radome. I hesitated to list it because Im not certain it would ship without damage.

Is there anything to worry about? Is there a way to protect the inner workings before shipping? Ive already sold & shipped the MFD's, so anything I do now would have to be manual.

Any thoughts or experience out there?
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
I sold one on eBay and had UPS pack and ship it. Packing/shipping cost as much as I got for it. Oversize stuff costs I learned.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I got one from BRS in Texas, packed in a box with 2"-4" of wadded paper all around the dome. The box was distressed when it arrived, and I was concerned that the dome might have been damaged, but it was fine and worked fine. They're pretty tough.

Greg.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
I ordered one from EBay. Arrived damaged. Seller left the cover screwed on and used insufficient packing. Threaded inserts all pulled out or broken. Returned it.
My advice:
1) Unscrew the top, leave the screws in a baggie. Fasten it with tape.
2) make sure there are at least 2 inches of packing all around dome. Not paper.
3) Preferably use a double box.
Take pictures during the boxing

Weigh box and set shipping cost as calculated.

Note: If there is damage you can't submit a claim unless you used a new box and 2" of packing.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I wouldn't worry about the inner workings. As long as the dome remains intact, the rest will be fine. They're designed to handle a lot of shock loading as a boat pounds. I shipped my old unit wrapped with a generous amount of bubble wrap, and it was fine.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #6
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I had to ship a Furuno dome back to them for warranty work (failed maggie). I took it to West Marine, where I bought it, and got it back in good shape. Of course, a couple years later the POS failed again. No more Garmin for me.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I had to ship a Furuno dome back to them for warranty work (failed maggie). I took it to West Marine, where I bought it, and got it back in good shape. Of course, a couple years later the POS failed again. No more Garmin for me.
Didn't realize Furuno and Garmin were the same company.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #8
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Radomes are shipped all the time. Best to use the factory packaging which has a molded foam insert, but you can simulate that with the self foaming bags. Your local packing store should have it, but Amazon does for sure.

Removing the screws on the covering seems to me to be exactly the wrong thing to do. If the package is mishandled enough to break those screws, the radar antenna would no doubt be damaged. The cover is there to protect the antenna rotor.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I had one on planing boat that used to bang along in rough seas all the time. I only used to run it in fog or at night. I never had an issue with it. Package it like glass and mark as Fragile and This side up and I'm sure it will be fine.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Have you ever seen a video of a shipping distribution point? Boxes go flying, and may end up at the bottom of the pile.

Raymarine radome is very flexible, but it is not made to be deflected much. The cover simply keeps the water out. The screw inserts are not molded into thick plastic. The damaged radome worked fine. Just couldn't screw the top down. Taking out the screws would have saved seller many hundreds. (Or using appropriate thickness of packing.)
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would pack it well and it should be fine.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #12
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Didn't realize Furuno and Garmin were the same company.

Ted
Typo!!!! I was thinking about things better than Garmin, like Furuno when I wrote that. Garmin did indeed service the POS radar.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:35 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I sell and ship radar domes all the time. And I have to guarantee that it's delivered to buyer in good condition.

As others said, couple layers of bubblewrap. The one with big 1" bubbles, not the little ones.

I use a slightly oversize box and use triangles of foam or cardboard in the corners to keep the dome centered and away from the box sides. I buy new boxes from a box supplier or get free ones when I visit Furuno at Camas.

I tape a 12"X12" piece of 1/2" foam in the center of the box and place the dome on that. I stick cardboard or foam into the corners to make sure the dome does not shift in the box.

I make sure all the cover screws are secure but I don't overtighten them. The Raymarine covers are very weak in that area and overtightining even a little leads to broken plastic mount towers.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #14

Thank you for all of the excellent suggestions! Im more confident now that I can list and deliver the item safely.

This past month has been my first experience selling on eBay. Its become addictive, I now prowl the house looking for candidate items that are not tied down.

And Im continually surprised how much other stuff is sold on eBay that I would have considered obsolete or waste. Ive got some old B&G instrumentation from the 80's that I may try next. Or maybe my semifunctional HP calculators from the 70s and 80s.

Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #15
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Please consider listing your legacy (older) marine electronics here on TF before going to eBay. I might be interested in the B&G pieces you have. Or, you might provide a link to your eBay marine listings here on TF.

Edit: After reviewing the new posts, I see you're not shy about listing on TF. I'll look for the B&G stuff.

Greg.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #16

I tested the TF classified waters with a couple of Navionics CF cards. OVERWHELMING zero interest. Either no ones confident that the border will open or theyve got newer electronics.

Ill dig out and dust off the B&G stuff one of these days.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads View Post
Thank you for all of the excellent suggestions! Im more confident now that I can list and deliver the item safely.

This past month has been my first experience selling on eBay. Its become addictive, I now prowl the house looking for candidate items that are not tied down.

And Im continually surprised how much other stuff is sold on eBay that I would have considered obsolete or waste. Ive got some old B&G instrumentation from the 80's that I may try next. Or maybe my semifunctional HP calculators from the 70s and 80s.

Thanks again.
I sell a lot of marine equipment on eBay. Make sure you describe every fault and post pictures of the fault to stay out of trouble. Otherwise you will be refunding for the item plus original shipping and return shipping.

EBay has very good protection for the buyer and protection for honest top sellers.

Also post a picture of the serial number so a buyer can not switch items and attempt returns. Post lots of pictures, up to 12

You don't want negative feedback, it will affect your sales. Less buyers willing to buy from low score sellers and buyers will not pay as much.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote