Shipping quotes… cross country??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durant F

Guru
Vessel Name
Emma B
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
Hoping for advice from others that have done it…
Will be shipping a smaller trawler from Maryland out to Bellingham WA soon.
It’s 2890 miles door to,door…
How do you get quotes?
Any recommendations?
Advice?
Thanks in advance

You might request an online quote from a website like UShip. But check out the contractor thoroughly before you sign anything. Absolutely make sure they have valid insurance. Maybe ask your insurance company to check out their insurance and make sure that it is actually in effect and good insurance.

I’d call Dudley Boat Transportation and Associated Boat Transport. Both are in your area. We used Dudley to move a boat from Oceanside, CA to Tacoma and the job went well.

Far better to use a transport outfit in your receiving area than the ship from area.
You can get local references and you can easily knock on their door to talk in person and/or resolve any issues.
Most boat yards can provide references for quality transport.

I've had two great personal experiences moving a boat across the country with Associated Boat Transport, fortunately based close to you in Marysville WA. I've also had a disastrous experience with another transporter.

If I was to ship another boat cross country, Associated is the only one I would trust.

Roughly speaking, it will cost more than the average small trawler is worth.

pete

Thanks Nick and Larry…
Info is off for quotes.
Appreciate the names and your experiences

Another approach

I would suggest contacting American Tug and Nordic Tug to find out who they use to truck to the East Coast. Seems that they are often looking to move an East Coast boat back home to the Northwest and can offer a better rate rather than dead heading.

The back haul is usually west to east, not east to west. More boats going west. I've used James Wise (he is an independent, 352-538-4632) twice, once moving the sailboat from Florida to Washington, and once moving the trawler from Tennessee to Washington. I've been happy with the service both times.

I’d find a good broker right off. One that has credentials with cross country boat haulers. There are some serious ‘ CHEAP ‘ haulers running tweaked trailers, worn out tractors and minimal experience with interstate permitting. I’ve known three serious trans state haulers who ran top shelf Brownell trailers but have pulled out of long hauls and only do regional. Why I asked, and they all said the same thing. Too many ‘ Hot Shotters ‘ and 'CHEAP' haulers out there bidding the work then breaking down or getting trooper tagged or wrecking and the whole business suffers. Insurance goes up, enforcement heat goes up and eventually these guys don’t want any part of it. The good one that remain will not work cheap, how can they, tractor maintenance, trailer maintenance, the restricted log and road time, enforcement, and the permitting and route requirements all conspire to squeeze the good operators. Special permit hauling boats is not something your average
‘ logistics Chimpanzee ‘ can do so understand the risk and the hours in a cab are worth something.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had two great personal experiences moving a boat across the country with Associated Boat Transport, fortunately based close to you in Marysville WA. I've also had a disastrous experience with another transporter.

If I was to ship another boat cross country, Associated is the only one I would trust.

I talked to one of their drivers, maybe even a principal. They were hauling a junk boat away. The guy was really in the ball, and I thought he’s the guy I would call if I needed to truck a boat.

Heres a discussion on Tugnuts that might help you. The TugNuts • View topic - Boat Transport Recommendations. We used Cory Sharp to bring our C Dory back to Oregon after we finished the Great Loop. He was transporting for Ranger at the time so west bound backhauls were good for him. You can find him on U ship Sharp Yachts transport. He did a nice job for us.

Thanks all.

Just booked with Associated.

Appreciate the replies

Thanks all.

Just booked with Associated.

Appreciate the replies

If you don't mind, could you share the type of boat, and price you were quoted? It would be beneficial to some of the members here. Thanks:thumb:

It’s easy to get a quote.

http://www.associatedboat.com/
Scroll to bottom of page for estimates

Very professional, long history and well recommended.
They proved to be very competitive as well.

NT 32, about 16000 lbs

Was about $5.50/mile

Thanks so much, that's actually less than I thought it would be. Does that include loading, bracing, and unloading?

Shipping Incident

Even after you find a shipping company check and double check your insurance. If possible, agree on a replacement value and lowest deductible. When we had our shinny new small sailboat shipped east to west on its trailer, inside a covered trailer and she arrived damaged. Just trying to get the carriers insurance company was painful followed by all the work I had to do before submitting a claim. Then trying to get the guys deductible paid to me. It was not a fun time, but we got through it.

Best of luck and hopefully everything goes smooth.

John T

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom