Old 09-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #1

City: Puyallup, Washington
Vessel Name: None- looking
Engines

Does anyone have an opinion about Cummins Diesel verses Volvo Penta engines. Looking at two Nodic Tugs and the only major difference is the engine make?

Thanks

Carter
Carter j Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Which Cummins and which Volvo? Each makes good motors, and some less good.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter j Barnes View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about Cummins Diesel verses Volvo Penta engines. Looking at two Nodic Tugs and the only major difference is the engine make?

Thanks

Carter
What specific engines, model and HP?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:07 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Usually Volvo parts are stocked only at the importer in Atlanta , so it becomes very expensive , to overnight almost any repair part.

Volvo is always LAST on my list tho they do have some reliable engines.

The longest lasting engines (any maker) are usually the least HP units with no turbo and mechanical injection .

AS they are less sophisticated these will not have the better fuel burn , but better an extra .50c an hour than thousands for repairs.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #5

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
Generally speaking, Cummins has fair pricing for parts and dealers/distributors in most major centers around Canada and the US. Also, Seaboard Marine in Oxnard, CA (sbmar.com)has a great selection of Cummins and aftermarket step up parts and FAST delivery around the US.

I started out wih Volvo and it was a pretty good engine.......until I had a parts issue. Pricing was way too high for my liking. Good luck with your decision.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Assuming the boat with the Cummins is either a 6BT(A) or 6CT(A), both of those engines have been around for 20 years, are still produced as remans in this country and new in other countries, and untold numbers were sold for marine, automotive /truck, agricultural and heavy equipment. You should have no trouble getting parts and service anywhere you go for as long as you own it.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have a 200HP Cummins 6BT 5.9 in my present boat and a 210HPVolvo TAMD41P in the previous. Both were excellent, in general spares for the Cummins are less expensive and there are more sales and service centers.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
Guru

City: LI or Fla
What he said below. Have a friend on the dock, needed a starter for his Volvo (63 series) was quoted $1400 from local parts guys, he sent it out to get rebuilt instead. My choice would be Cummins, it will also yield greater/faster resale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I have a 200HP Cummins 6BT 5.9 in my present boat and a 210HPVolvo TAMD41P in the previous. Both were excellent, in general spares for the Cummins are less expensive and there are more sales and service centers.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Both make pretty good engines, but Volvo parts prices are out of sight. Out of the two, I'd go with Cummins.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Guru

Avoid VOLVOs; run from them as you would the plague. VOLVO has the worst product support in the industry, especially when your engine (s) are not longer being manufactured. Good engines but you are SOL if you need parts.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Both make pretty good engines, but Volvo parts prices are out of sight. Out of the two, I'd go with Cummins.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #12

Engines reply from Carter

Thanks to all of you. This Forum is great for help. Glad I joined.

Consensus is consistent both good parts are the issue on cost of repair.

Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
The manufacturer of those engines is not the only difference, the engine's condition is a major factor. Engines don't need parts for no reason, they need parts because they've been used and/or abused. Yes, the Cummins would be my hands down first choice. But if the Volvo has 143 hours on it and was only used by a little old lady to run to church on Sunday, versus the Cummins guy who has been around the loop 6 times and has 3200 hours on the clock....things look a bit different.....Have an engine surveyor do an oil analysis....
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Oil analysis is fine and I agree that one should be done, however, it really takes several to determine true condition. One could spin off the current oil filter, cut it open and take a visual to ascertain if any metal has collected as I did after finding a prior oil sample testing by the PO when he purchased the boa. There were only some 150 hours from the test taken. The current owner was comfortable with our changing out the filter which we then cut open. Nothing there to bother us. The oil sample that had been tested reported "Copper" at higher rate than normal. While we didn't see any physical evidence related to copper, we didn't seen anything at all! Peace of mind was the reward.

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
Guru

City: gulf coast
If the boat with cummins is not in good shape find another cummins powered boat.

Just look at the euro vs dollar and if you need more info look at the distance parts have to travel.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Keep in mind where you live or will keep your boat. For me Volvo parts are 100 meters from my boat. Cummins would be mail order. Although, I have required no parts outside of consumables for my engine.

I've driven a nearly 30 year old Toyota turbo diesel that was never imported to North America for the last 12 years. No parts required either.

Properly maintained and operated, diesels are reliable.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #17

Engine comparison.

Thanks again to all on the Volvo to Cummins comparison.

Volvo is a D6, Cummins is a 6BT (A). Both have 450-460 hours and the engine rooms show evidence of regular and detailed maintenance. Engine sour vey will definitely be a contingency to any deal. Thanks for the oil analysis tip.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Granite Bay
Vessel Name: Pier Runner 6
Vessel Model: 27 ft Boston Whaler Conquest
I to have been looking at quite a few boats lately and I have come to the conclusion that it is a 5.9 cummins or nothing for me. I work in the automotive industry and although they are not identical, there is a reason a Dodge Ram Cummins truck with the 5.9 is worth the same or more than they were when they were just a few years old. Case in point, I had an 05 Dodge that I sold (w/16,000 miles) in 2007 that is selling for more money today w/100,000 plus miles than it did 7 years ago. And not because people like the body style (ha ha). Just my opinion though and what I am comfortable with :-)
CMA1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:14 AM   #19
Guru

City: Anacortes
I will never own another Volvo. The support was terrible.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #20

I,too had incredibly poor support from Volvo.I would never own a boat with a Volvo engine again!!
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote