Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #1

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Miko Too
Vessel Model: Navigator 53
Shipping to Australia

Hi All,
Has anybody had any experience with using various shipping firms, to bring boats from the US to Australia.
Yacht Exports, 7Star and Peters and May Aust have lots and lots of blogs ranging from not-so-good to very bad. Of course, most bad blogs are from unhappy customers, the happy ones tend to not worry.
However, has anybody had any, first hand, good or bad experiences and are there any shipping companies you would recommend.
Thanks,
Phil
Old 03-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Have not done so but talking to others have heard the best things about Seven Star and DYT (formerly Dockwise, owned by Seven Star now).

Now there is some confusion in Australia to look out for. I don't know enough to sort it all out but apparently Peters and May Australia is not connected to Peters and May Ltd. Seems they were and have rights to the name. Also I'm not sure about Sevenstar Australia, whether it's the same or not.

So don't have answers on some of those, just warning there is some confusion.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
I've sent dozens of boats 41' - 61' there and New Zealand. All on either Dockwise or Seven Star. All went fine, though the times between when they were scheduled to arrive here , and when they actually arrived were upwards of 3 months apart-more times than not. The shipping along the west coast of central America to Vancouver has been extremely erratic, with them flat not stopping at all where they were promised. I've pretty much given up on even attempting a delivery there. THE BEST I can tell people, that if you can get your boat down to Golfito Costa Rica, it's most likely will be picked up BUT that can leave you in possible trouble with their cruising permit allowances. I sent a 58' out of there, and got lucky in finding a Captain there that took care of the boat, and loaded it for me. I was there with dozens of others waiting, and waiting for the ship to arrive. It did-3 months later. Also where they ended up dropping the boats in Australia once was quite far away from where promised, but at least they made it.
Since their merger I haven't yet shipped or priced a delivery. I'll no longer have the option
of shopping prices between them. Previously I've gotten prices down from $65k to $35k playing the competitive angle on a 45'er.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
I've sent dozens and dozens of boats 41' - 61' there and New Zealand. All on either Dockwise or Seven Star. All went fine, though the times between when they were scheduled to arrive here , and when they actually arrived were upwards of 3 months apart-more times than not. The shipping along the west coast of central America to Vancouver has been extremely erratic, with them flat not stopping at all where they were promised. I've pretty much given up on even attempting a delivery there. THE BEST I can tell people, that if you can get your boat down to Golfito Costa Rica, it's most likely will be picked up BUT that can leave you in possible trouble with their cruising permit allowances. I sent a 58' out of there, and got lucky in finding a Captain there that took care of the boat, and loaded it for me. I was there with dozens of others waiting, and waiting for the ship to arrive. It did-3 months later. Also where they ended up dropping the boats in Australia once was quite far away from where promised, but at least they made it.
Since their merger I haven't yet shipped or priced a delivery. I'll no longer have the option
of shopping prices between them. Previously I've gotten prices down from $65k to $35k playing the competitive angle on a 45'er.
Hmmm, they sound pretty hopeless then.

I used Aurora Global Logistics here in Brisbane. I shipped a 50' boat from Vancouver BC to Brisbane last October. There are regular monthly departures on Swire vessels that bring lumber to Australia from the PNW and take steel back.

Aurora were great, happy to recommend them. Get them to handle the Customs/import side as well - it makes it very smooth. They are agents for Peters & May who handle the Nth America side. That part worked, but just. Their Chicago office handled it, but didn't seem to know much about the Canadian requirements. I was on the boat and did some of it myself.

I did have some damage from loading in Vancouver, but it was covered by insurance and repairs were first class. Loading should be simple, but the particular Canadian stevedores who loaded my boat made a mess of it.

Were I shipping again I would endeavour to use the Dockwise float-on, float-off vessel. From the West Coast that means getting to Golfito, and there appears to be only one departure to Australia per year.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
If you can get a boat to Golfito, all the regular scheduled ships from Florida to down there seem to stop there, and there (haven't checked this year yet) were at least 4 per year heading that way. Of course it's a long way down to Costa Rica.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
Old 03-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Phil View Post
Hi All,
Has anybody had any experience with using various shipping firms, to bring boats from the US to Australia.
Yacht Exports, 7Star and Peters and May Aust have lots and lots of blogs ranging from not-so-good to very bad. Of course, most bad blogs are from unhappy customers, the happy ones tend to not worry.
However, has anybody had any, first hand, good or bad experiences and are there any shipping companies you would recommend.
Thanks,
Phil

You might search out the blog for Loopy Kiwi and check with him about his experience shipping from US east coast to NZ. I would guess shipping to Oz would be similar?

-Chris
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #7

Vessel Name: Gatsby
Vessel Model: Viking 63CPMY
Hi Phil
I shipped our Viking 63CPMY (1991) from Savannah to Botany Bay in June 2012. I used Q7 Marine at Cabarita and they were fantastic. Obviously their assistance didn't come free, but they arranged everything and it all went very smoothly.
I highly recommend them.
If you would like to meet up and discuss anything, send me a PM.
The photo was taken as she was being lowered into Botany Bay.
Click image for larger version

Name:	on the sling.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	28210
Cheers
John
Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Can't help directly, but it cost the price of a new mid-priced automobile (closer to $30,000 than $20,000) to ship from China to California:

Old 03-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #9

Hi John,
Did you purchase the boat through Q7 or did they just do the shipping for you. May I ask what it cost you.
Thanks,
Phil
Old 03-17-2014, 01:56 AM   #10

Vessel Name: Gatsby
Vessel Model: Viking 63CPMY
Hi Phil
We went to Miami to look at several boats. We found our current boat and Mark from Q7 shipped it back for us - well worth giving him a call as Q7 have lots of contacts because they ship back many boats each year. Cost at the time was around $US1k/foot landed here inclusive of moving boat to point of departure, storage while waiting for the big ship, insurance, preparation of all export/import documentation, etc. When in Australia there is 10% GST and if the boat is not made in USA there is 5% duty - all based on the value of the boat on the day of departure.
Cheers
John
Old 03-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #11

Thanks John,
The prices and the details you mentioned are pretty much exactly what I have discovered and been offered, so it is comforting to know all things are pretty close to the mark.
Phil
Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
SevenStars is shipping from Palm Beach on April 25th and this is apparently every two months.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
We passed this ship on our way up the ICW last May. I believe it was at Port Everglades.

It says “UNITED YACHT TRANSPORT” on the side. She had some nice looking boats already on deck. KJ

Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
We passed this ship on our way up the ICW last May. I believe it was at Port Everglades. It says “UNITED YACHT TRANSPORT” on the side. She had some nice looking boats already on deck. KJ
Yep that's Port Everglades.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Tranquility Base
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Phil View Post
Hi All,
Thanks,
Phil
I recently ( early this year) imported a Kadey Krogen 48 from Florida. If you private message me I can give you all the details and contacts.

Brian
Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #16
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post

It says “UNITED YACHT TRANSPORT” on the side. She had some nice looking boats already on deck. KJ
Yes, but do they transport boats or only yachts?

If you're getting it transported, it MUST be a yacht.!

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Yes, but do they transport boats or only yachts?

If you're getting it transported, it MUST be a yacht.!
No, if it is being carried on a ship, the yacht becomes a boat.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Then why are submarines called boats?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:03 AM   #19
Guru

City: Perth
Look at K-Line or WWL. Our stevedores unload imported vessels from these two companies at Fremantle all the time, both in containers and on top deck.

Sent from iPad using Trawler App
Old 03-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #20
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
Then why are submarines called boats?

For reasons of naval tradition, submarines are usually referred to as "boats" rather than as "ships", regardless of their size.(Wikipedia)

Which brings us to 'Das Boot' one of THE great war movies.
Closed Thread