Old 07-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Skillman
Vessel Name: Lady Sue
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship I 1982 Perkins
Shinnecock Inlet NY and back

We are planning to take Lady Sue (1982 Mainship I) on August 3 from our base on Raritan Bay NJ to the Inlet then traverse through the Shinnecock Canal to Orient Point and return via LI Sound. No rush. We've owned her for 30 years and have done many trips, but never this one, so I have no knowledge of the area marinas high points or "be careful" areas. We've visited the Connecticut River several times.

Any suggestions would be dearly appreciated.

(I must express my dismay at Jay Leonard leaving the water and going to an RV at such a young age. He has been a great resource since his days as a Mainshipper! Maybe I should think of going ashore now that I'm 86.)

Jim Ferry
lady sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #2
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
From your location to Shin is just a straight shot and the inlet is ok on average conditions. When you get inside go slow as you pass the bridge . It is shallow at the Turn. Pass CG and head for the locks. It less stressful if you go through the locks when the doors are closed. After leaving the locks it’s simple navigation.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Just south of the Shinnecock locks there is a railroad bridge that is charted at 22' vertical clearance but has been reported by Active Captain (7/13/2016) to be 19' 8". Your MS 34 should clear fine, but you may have to lower your VHF antenna.

I researched this for a sundeck trawler that had a crane for their dinghy that probably wouldn't have cleared.

Peconic and Gardiners Bay are great cruising areas. If you have an extra day or two, head up to Block Island. Well worth it.

With the advent of commuter boats that traverse the East River at all times of the day, the run down to NY Harbor can be interesting. Keep your speed up as you go through to keep from being thrown off course. It can be a washing machine at times. Apparently there are no speed restrictions on the East River, at least none that are observed.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote