Old 05-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Otis Maximus
Vessel Model: Seasport Navigator
She says "size doesn't matter"

The wife's telling me size doesn't matter, I guess that's why we're still married. Get your minds out of the gutter I'm talking about boats! The plan is to eventually do Americas Great Loop. Not all at once, we have grandchildren (beautiful grandchildren) so probably in increments.

I'm looking at a 28' Pelagic cruiser this weekend in Comox, Vancouver BC, looks like it's in better than good shape with 1000 hours on an Isuzu diesel, 1.5 gallons at 7 knots. can sleep four, fly bridge, head, shower yada yada yada.

We've had other boats 27' gaff sailboat, 35' yawl built in 1911, 1962 Islander 32 and currently moved up to power and have a (gas sucking)27' Sea Sport Navigator with fly bridge, twin 4.3s etc... I love the boat and the maneuverability.

The question I have is what are the advantages and disadvantages cruising in a 28 footer?
otis maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Depends on the accommodations. Can you describe the boat in detail? Aren't many Pelagics day-fishing boats? Did you edit your original post?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Depends on the accommodations. Can you describe the boat in detail? Aren't many Pelagics day-fishing boats? Did you edit your original post?
You can see the boat on Comox BC Canada. Looks like a small trawler. Aft cabin has twin bed port side, storage locker, head with shower on the other. Forward into small galley with stove, sink and ice box to port, settee to starboard. V berth up front. Fly bridge up top small aft cockpit. Yeah never heard of Pelagic till now.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Size has absolutely nothing to do with it, except you’ll have to be forward thinking about weather and be willing to explore ashore (when the wind is up) a bit more than owners of larger boats.

Some people get confused about what they need and what they think they can’t live without...
Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
Master and Commander

Otis, I'd be more comfortable in a mid-30-foot boat, but it is up to you what fits your needs. Small has many advantages, particularly if one isn't operating extensively in large open waters. Except for my tall mast, I would consider my boat to be nearly ideal for the loop except for lacking air conditioning and heat (builder options declined because of benign climate here).
Old 05-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Size has absolutely nothing to do with it, except you’ll have to be forward thinking about weather and be willing to explore ashore (when the wind is up) a bit more than owners of larger boats.

Some people get confused about what they need and what they think they can’t live without...
I'd think exploring ashore would be the most rewarding part of the adventure.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by otis maximus View Post
The wife's telling me size doesn't matter, I guess that's why we're still married. Get your minds out of the gutter I'm talking about boats! The plan is to eventually do Americas Great Loop. Not all at once, we have grandchildren (beautiful grandchildren) so probably in increments.

I'm looking at a 28' Pelagic cruiser this weekend in Comox, Vancouver BC, looks like it's in better than good shape with 1000 hours on an Isuzu diesel, 1.5 gallons at 7 knots. can sleep four, fly bridge, head, shower yada yada yada.

We've had other boats 27' gaff sailboat, 35' yawl built in 1911, 1962 Islander 32 and currently moved up to power and have a (gas sucking)27' Sea Sport Navigator with fly bridge, twin 4.3s etc... I love the boat and the maneuverability.

The question I have is what are the advantages and disadvantages cruising in a 28 footer?
Some may tell you size doesn't matter, and that may be true for them. Truth is size does matter as you won't see anyone doing the Loop in an 8' dinghy.

I looped last year and will tell you there is a bell curve for Loop boats. Saw a small number under 30'. Saw a small number over 50'. The majority fell in the 35 to 45' size.

Met a very nice couple doing it in a Ranger Tug. The boat is well designed with optimal use of space. The couple was also well organized. Saw another couple doing it in a Sea Dory. It reminded me of camping while hiking.

The Loop is a long trip, even if you break it up into segments. There is a big difference for most people in what you will tolerate on vacation for a couple of weeks versus several months or more. My advice to you would be to borrow a 15' travel trailer, park it in the backyard for a couple months and try living in it full time. If you plan to have friends or family join you on the Loop, have them spend a long weekend with you in the travel trailer.

As to advantages and disadvantages. A small boat should cost less to buy and loop with. However, you may find yourself spending more money on overnights in marinas due to less storage, water capacity and holding tank capacity. You will loose more travel days due to weather. What you can bring with you will be less, and may require hard choices. Bicycles, kayaks, and a dinghy may not all fit on a 28' boat, maybe none will. Does the boat have a generator, or does heat and air conditioning require being tied to a dock?

Lots to think about and choices to make.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks and keep it coming these are exactly the things I need to be thinking about. I don't want to get caught up in the "tiny homes" fad, but I do find myself thinking less is more. I'm starting to purge all the sh!t that I've collected through the years. I live in a two story house but never go up stairs. Have four vehicles but only drive one it goes on and on.

I did live on my Sea Sport last year in eastern Washington. Survived the winter of 2016 when the boat was frozen in and the temps were in the teens for a month or two and then the summer when it was above 100. So I have some idea about extremes. (but I did go home on weekends)

We're probably 50/50 on staying on the boat and then venturing off, so it's not like we're confined to staying on the boat at all times.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Some may tell you size doesn't matter, and that may be true for them. Truth is size does matter as you won't see anyone doing the Loop in an 8' dinghy.

I looped last year and will tell you there is a bell curve for Loop boats. Saw a small number under 30'. Saw a small number over 50'. The majority fell in the 35 to 45' size.

Met a very nice couple doing it in a Ranger Tug. The boat is well designed with optimal use of space. The couple was also well organized. Saw another couple doing it in a Sea Dory. It reminded me of camping while hiking.

The Loop is a long trip, even if you break it up into segments. There is a big difference for most people in what you will tolerate on vacation for a couple of weeks versus several months or more. My advice to you would be to borrow a 15' travel trailer, park it in the backyard for a couple months and try living in it full time. If you plan to have friends or family join you on the Loop, have them spend a long weekend with you in the travel trailer.

As to advantages and disadvantages. A small boat should cost less to buy and loop with. However, you may find yourself spending more money on overnights in marinas do to less storage, water capacity and holding tank capacity. You will loose more travel days do to weather. What you can bring with you will be less, and may require hard choices. Bicycles, kayaks, and a dinghy may not all fit on a 28' boat, maybe none will. Does the boat have a generator, or does heat and air conditioning require being tied to a dock?

Lots to think about and choices to make.

Ted
The reality is also that some people like all inclusive resorts and some like more real experiences. Some like to be living on floating castles with all amenities and some like more authentic simple life.
Some people are loving their 65 palace and some like to go with kayak and camping.
Reality is what do you expect from your live aboard?
Don't misunderstand me I am not bashing on people going big, just that I realised these 2 past years that well, more space you have more space you need, all depend on what you like, what you want,what you expect...

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
The reality is also that some people like all inclusive resorts and some like more real experiences. Some like to be living on floating castles with all amenities and some like more authentic simple life.

L
Wifey B: There is nothing more real or authentic about either of those. They're different. All inclusive resorts are very real, just not the real you prefer. Castles with amenities are authentic. Just don't fit what you prefer. Now most people prefer a combination of fancy with amenities and simple. People don't have to fit in one camp or the other.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:23 AM   #12
FF
Guru

If the boat is dry , has good bunks , a space for food prep and eating and a nice comfy place to sit and read for UGH type of days its big enough.

Remember although the 60 fters can handle rough weather , most do not bother , so you will be traveling the same sked as the larger craft.

You can venture to many places anchorages denied the biggies due to draft.

Any grand kids can sleep on the cabin sole , air bed , part of their Adventure ,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Oh, I don't know about that...just because you didn't see one doesn't mean the loop hasn't been done by very small craft.

Where you see limitations, discomfort, and danger, others see adventure. How about a 23 month, 12,100 mile canoe trip from Winnipeg, Canada, to the mouth of the Amazon?

The experience of a journey is completely dependant upon the method of travel.

We've sea kayaked for months at a time, and liken it to hiking or traveling by bicycle where you feel every breath of wind, notice the smallest details as they go by, and you physically work to earn your goal. Traveling by boat is a lot like traveling by motorhome.

I'll ask you this; two people travel the length of the Rocky Mountains, one by motorhome and one by hiking...which experience has more depth?
Old 05-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Oh, I don't know about that...just because you didn't see one doesn't mean the loop hasn't been done by very small craft.

Where you see limitations, discomfort, and danger, others see adventure. How about a 23 month, 12,100 mile canoe trip from Winnipeg, Canada, to the mouth of the Amazon?

The experience of a journey is completely dependant upon the method of travel.

We've sea kayaked for months at a time, and liken it to hiking or traveling by bicycle where you feel every breath of wind, notice the smallest details as they go by, and you physically work to earn your goal. Traveling by boat is a lot like traveling by motorhome.

I'll ask you this; two people travel the length of the Rocky Mountains, one by motorhome and one by hiking...which experience has more depth?
What does depth mean? If the hiker spends all of her time with her head down trudging along in an elevated aerobic state vs the motor home traveler who stops for days to savor the places that the hiker passes through on her way to the days goal, which experience has the most depth? Just because you travel in a motorhome it does not mean you cannot hike in exactly the same places.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
What does depth mean? If the hiker spends all of her time with her head down trudging along in an elevated aerobic state vs the motor home traveler who stops for days to savor the places that the hiker passes through on her way to the days goal, which experience has the most depth? Just because you travel in a motorhome it does not mean you cannot hike in exactly the same places.
Wifey B: "Depth" means the same as "real" and "authentic" above. It's someone attempting to insert a word to make their way of doing things somehow make them feel or look superior.

Guess we had a more real, authentic, deep trip to Battery Park to catch the boat to the Statue of Liberty this morning because we walked there instead of taking a bus or train. But then our trip to the Statue wasn't deep at all as we took the cruise instead of diving in and trying to swim there.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #16
FF
Guru

"Truth is size does matter as you won't see anyone doing the Loop in an 8' dinghy."

It was not uncommon for 15 ft outboards to run much of the loop in the 1950's.

No big deal till you remember most went UP the Mississippi.

A 23+ ft I-O could do a great job for a couple.

Maybe $5,000 for the boat and trailer , whats to loose?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: "Depth" means the same as "real" and "authentic" above. It's someone attempting to insert a word to make their way of doing things somehow make them feel or look superior.

Guess we had a more real, authentic, deep trip to Battery Park to catch the boat to the Statue of Liberty this morning because we walked there instead of taking a bus or train. But then our trip to the Statue wasn't deep at all as we took the cruise instead of diving in and trying to swim there.
I guess you'll never really know what I'm getting at until you go on a long, self propelled expedition/journey of your own...
Old 05-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
I guess you'll never really know what I'm getting at until you go on a long, self propelled expedition/journey of your own...
Wifey B: Then guess I should come here and brag about how it makes me better than others.

Ever consider that you have no idea what kind of journeys others may have been on?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Then guess I should come here and brag about how it makes me better than others.

Ever consider that you have no idea what kind of journeys others may have been on?
I don't jump on your pronouncements. Why so sensitive?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #20
Guru

I'll try again.

One person does a free solo climb of El Capitan, and another flies to the top in a helicopter. Which person walks away with the richer experience?