Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #21
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I don't jump on your pronouncements. Why so sensitive?
Wifey B: Not so much sensitive as just think the attitudes that if one does things one way vs another then their way is so superior is total BS.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #22
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I'll try again.

One person does a free solo climb of El Capitan, and another flies to the top in a helicopter. Which person walks away with the richer experience?
Wifey B: None of us can judge how rich the experience of another is. Pick one set of two people vs another set and it may be much different. Someone could accomplish something that most of us would consider incredible and not really appreciate what was there. Sometimes the one who does something doesn't even feel the uniqueness or how incredible their activities were.

Think of some of the most amazing things you've done in your life. Did you appreciate them as much as that moment or perhaps when reflecting back on them later in life?

I met a fireman years ago who risked his life saving a mother and young child. In his perspective, he did nothing special, just did his job. Others saw it as such a special courageous act, even if it was his profession. The experience didn't hit him until the young girl he saved, 20 years later asked him to walk her down the aisle at her wedding.

I know people who live simple but extremely rich lives and they appreciate experiences in ways others of us don't.

To your example, sometimes one can see things better from a distance than they can up close.

I'm sure you've have a very rich life of adventure because you've done things your way and things that meant a lot to you. Others wouldn't have perhaps felt the same but get that same rich life doing things their way.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #23
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47í Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 896
You guys crack me up. This thread is stating to remind me of last year when I simply asked how much tip I should give the kid who ties me up.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #24
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
You guys crack me up. This thread is stating to remind me of last year when I simply asked how much tip I should give the kid who ties me up.
Wifey B: And how much tip have you been giving the kid?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #25
Guru
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47í Sundeck
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: And how much tip have you been giving the kid?
Oh I donít know...Iím still confused 😉
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #26
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Oh I donít know...Iím still confused 😉
Wifey B: Duh! Now you're confused about what boat.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
City: Whosville
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: There is nothing more real or authentic about either of those. They're different. All inclusive resorts are very real, just not the real you prefer. Castles with amenities are authentic. Just don't fit what you prefer. Now most people prefer a combination of fancy with amenities and simple. People don't have to fit in one camp or the other.
You really need to get out more. There's nothing real about an all inclusive resort.
From the fake smile when you check in to the artificial waterfall in the courtyard, to the grass that will shrivel up and die when you turn the irrigation off.
You're certainly right about it not being preferable to a lot of people.
Real to some of us means when you take a deep breath you smell the scent of fir not perfume on a hot day, you get a rush from seeing a sow grizzly with cubs from your tent not the kids in the next RV, or you feel the sweat cooling all over your body after climbing to the top of a mountain not after sitting at the concrete pool ordering ice tea at your all inclusive resort on a hot day.

Really? You think an all inclusive resort is real?
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #28
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I'll try again.

One person does a free solo climb of El Capitan, and another flies to the top in a helicopter. Which person walks away with the richer experience?

I get your point, but I would suggest that rather than "richer" maybe the two experiences are simply different.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #29
Guru
 
ssobol's Avatar
 
City: Leesburg, VA
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I'll try again.

One person does a free solo climb of El Capitan, and another flies to the top in a helicopter. Which person walks away with the richer experience?

I guess it depends on how much you like helicopter rides.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #30
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,641
Oh well, it was worth a try.

I'll never know how profound it is to carry a baby to term and give birth to it, so why should I expect some people to understand what happens to your level of awareness when traveling through wilderness under your own power for months at a time, if they've never done it.

Back on point...it can be done and enjoyed, on a small boat, by some people.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" MurrayM
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #31
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeman View Post
You really need to get out more. There's nothing real about an all inclusive resort.
From the fake smile when you check in to the artificial waterfall in the courtyard, to the grass that will shrivel up and die when you turn the irrigation off.
You're certainly right about it not being preferable to a lot of people.
Real to some of us means when you take a deep breath you smell the scent of fir not perfume on a hot day, you get a rush from seeing a sow grizzly with cubs from your tent not the kids in the next RV, or you feel the sweat cooling all over your body after climbing to the top of a mountain not after sitting at the concrete pool ordering ice tea at your all inclusive resort on a hot day.

Really? You think an all inclusive resort is real?
Wifey B: I love lot's of different things. From Glacier's in Alaska to Spa's on Hilton Head.

Have you been to a top all inclusive resort? I haven't, but I've been to spas and beaches at resorts. I think those that treat their guests well would be nice. I love the experience of soaking in a special spa or luxurious massages using many different techniques. I enjoy Abaco or the Exumas but also the resort at Atlantis. I loved getting in the RIB and exploring more closely some of the remote areas of Alaska, but I also loved Hollywood and the Studios.

I've never been in an RV but I've gotten incredible rushes from watching kids just as much as bears. Oh, and I don't wear perfume, due to hubby's allergies.

I'm lucky that I've had the chance over the past few years to experience different things. I think some of them you would have likely loved and others you wouldn't have liked at all and that's fine.

As to the all inclusive resort, just go get a really incredible spa treatment and massage somewhere and then tell me they aren't real. How is your body feeling incredible after not real?

Oh, and waterfalls in remote areas, sliding down them, zip lines over them, incredible. No more real than the massage though, just different.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
RickyD's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 315
My wife said she wants a big one.
__________________
Aquarius 1991 Californian 55 CPMY Long Beach CA
RickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #33
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,562
Quote:
I guess you'll never really know what I'm getting at until you go on a long, self propelled expedition/journey of your own...
I've done several, and other than a rafting/kayaking trip down the Rogue River with a bunch of buddies, my take away has always been some variation of "what a dumb idea that was!".

There are no bigger snobs than the "reverse snobs"... "more ascetic than thou" types.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #34
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Oh, and waterfalls in remote areas, sliding down them, zip lines over them, incredible. No more real than the massage though, just different.
We are of different worlds...zip lines and remote areas do not belong in the same sentance!!!
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" MurrayM
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #35
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I've done several, and other than a rafting/kayaking trip down the Rogue River with a bunch of buddies, my take away has always been some variation of "what a dumb idea that was!".

There are no bigger snobs than the "reverse snobs"... "more ascetic than thou" types.
How long was your trip? Usually took me three weeks to shake the outside world off.

Maybe you're just tone deaf to it, if it seemed like a dumb idea?
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" MurrayM
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #36
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,641
Okay...how about this one...the feelings you have for a boat you build with your own hands will be more profound than one you buy.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" MurrayM
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
City: Whosville
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I love lot's of different things. From Glacier's in Alaska to Spa's on Hilton Head.

Have you been to a top all inclusive resort? I haven't, but I've been to spas and beaches at resorts. I think those that treat their guests well would be nice. I love the experience of soaking in a special spa or luxurious massages using many different techniques. I enjoy Abaco or the Exumas but also the resort at Atlantis. I loved getting in the RIB and exploring more closely some of the remote areas of Alaska, but I also loved Hollywood and the Studios.

I've never been in an RV but I've gotten incredible rushes from watching kids just as much as bears. Oh, and I don't wear perfume, due to hubby's allergies.

I'm lucky that I've had the chance over the past few years to experience different things. I think some of them you would have likely loved and others you wouldn't have liked at all and that's fine.

As to the all inclusive resort, just go get a really incredible spa treatment and massage somewhere and then tell me they aren't real. How is your body feeling incredible after not real?

Oh, and waterfalls in remote areas, sliding down them, zip lines over them, incredible. No more real than the massage though, just different.
I've stayed at all inclusive resorts, I've worked at all inclusive resorts and later in my working life my companies biggest customer was a chain of all inclusive resorts.
Where I worked in the seventies, Frodo and Gandalf worked in the dining room.
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #38
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Okay...how about this one...the feelings you have for a boat you build with your own hands will be more profound than one you buy.
Wifey B: Well, I love boating but I don't have the personal connection some do to a car or boat or even house. They're things and I love people. So, I don't know how profound one's love for a boat might be. I think it varies greatly by the person, but do believe if you built it yourself there would be a special and profound attachment (or a love/hate perhaps ).

We have fisherpersons among our close friends and I know they sure love the fish they catch themselves more than any others. It's funny that they get the thrill of catching their own food even though they freely recognize it's the most expensive meal they ever have. We love eating what they catch because they're so happy about it.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #39
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

As to the all inclusive resort, just go get a really incredible spa treatment and massage somewhere and then tell me they aren't real. How is your body feeling incredible after not real?
That is not really what I was talking about when used the word "real"...
Maybe, by giving time to the underneath hidden meaning to infuse you may realize that I was maybe more referring to the realistic aspect of the local cultural experience.
And by the way, no intend at all to show any sign of superiority of my own opinion or experience, just an imaged way to answer the initial question by meaning that, for some, going simple and raw is a preferable way of experiencing things, so size does not matter, but experience and expectation are.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #40
Guru
 
Woodland Hills's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I guess you'll never really know what I'm getting at until you go on a long, self propelled expedition/journey of your own...
We are all on a long self-propelled journey..... or hadn't you noticed?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012