Old 03-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole;
I have a healthy respect for them.

What we all need be aware of is nature; how we have messed with it and the food chain. Predictability is out the window.

Out here. we are experiencing unnatural and aggressive behavior among bears, cougars, coyotes; all creatures that we used to live with quite safely, from both sides. Now we have moose attacking cars.

Marine life anywhere is no different.

Being followed by one of these guys for 15-20 minutes makes me more edgy than a nurse shark.
Attached Thumbnails
92-245.jpg  
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: Boston Area
here's me with a nurse shark I caught by hand.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170331_0002.jpg  
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #23

City: stuart
the truth hurts so be aware there are way to many bull sharks in that area and for some reason they are mean and will gang up. fish cay to manjack cay is shark land. save your fish guts in a bucket and dump them a mile from your dive spot.
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Way too many bull sharks down here too. Two instances of them stranded high and dry when the flood waters receded after ex: Tropical Cyclone Debbie rains.
Attached Thumbnails
Burdekin bull shark.jpeg   Logan bull shark.jpeg  
Old 04-05-2017, 02:36 AM   #25
Guru

Bull sharks can get very aggressive....

They can be identified by the lack of an interdorsal ridge and the leading edge of their dorsal fin is above, or forward of, the central axis of their pectoral fin, BUT....its important to remember that your odds of being attacked by a shark are so small that it should not be a consideration in most people's lives. If you're not spear fishing or surfing, in the surf zone or swimming at dawn or dusk....you have nothing to worry about.....you really don't.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #26
Guru

City: LI or Fla
When we were there mostly nurse, but we did see one bull shark cruise through, kids would tie up fish heads to string and hang them off the dock as entertainment.

During the day off the beach snorkeled and the barracuda took quite an interest in my watch, so don't swim with anything shiny
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #27
Guru

When in the Bahamas a few years back, I was surprised to see how many marinas (eg Staniel Cay) actually feed sharks at the dock. These were pretty big bull sharks that were treated like pets. From my understanding, bull sharks are very pervasive and aggressive. They can live in fresh/brackish water for extended periods and are known to travel significant distances (hundreds of miles) up rivers. I often wondered whether I was close to a BS while snorkeling even though I never actually saw one!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Briney Bug
Vessel Model: Custom 34' sail-assisted trawler, wood, built 2005
Spanish Wells- Dolphin and Dog Playing

This isn't the greatest picture, but when we were on a mooring at Spanish Wells, our neighbors dog jumped in the water and swam to a passing dolphin. They interacted for about 10 minutes- seemed to be playing together.
Attached Thumbnails
Dolphin and Cruiser's Dog Playing Together 2- Spanish Wells, Bahamas 2013.jpg  
Briney Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #29
Guru

OK..last shark pic...I promise...but here's a Bull Shark I was snorkeling with...this was in Nassau though...not the Abacos...but they're everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Bull Shark off Salt Cay.jpg