Sharing Boat Handling Lessons, (Good or Bad idea)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry but I don't think any handling instructor will be open to the client calling the shots. Requests, maybe.

Most good instructors have several basic approaches and course outlines.

Some students just want docking lessons....others want all the way to AtoZ boating.

I found most students wanted such goofy schedules, it was hard to give good instruction because winds and tides or sunsets...time off from work....etc ....all impacted their only available times. So flexibility on both ends is important.

Getting multiple people sounds like a challenge....

Read. Talk to People. Take the boat out. That is how 99% of us learned. Nowadays there's also YouTube.

For your practice days...
I suggest that you start by perfecting your maneuvering & docking skills on perfectly calm days, in an area with no current (hopefully such conditions occasionally exist in the PNW!) This will give you a good "foundation" as you will have a clearer understanding of how the boat responds to your actions if there's no interference from "the elements". Then, you can graduate to perfecting your skills under more typical weather/current conditions.

I would be a lot more than one percent grew up handling boats starting around 10 feet.

They got ever more experience working their way up in size and variety in addition to spending much of those years on or around the water learning about current and wind.

Some would call it the old fashion way....certainly a lot of people that post regularly discuss their 30-60 years of boating experience.

But one of my best students ever bought a 40 something cruiser as his first boat and hadn't been on a boat in over 20 years since a kid on his father's. Within 2 years he had worked his way into 2 other 50 somethings and had cruised all over the Northeast, often single handling. VERY impressive.

Then I had students that had been boating for 40+ years who still couldn't drive or know the basics of boating.

Hard to say where someone is and where they will be after a couple dozen hours of training. Some are naturals and some never will get it.

Saw it in aviation too as an instructor pilot. We all see it on the roads every day. :D

I might be that "Then I had students that had been boating for 40+ years who still couldn't drive or know the basics of boating"

Back
Top Bottom