Shannon / Peninsular Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill R.

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cold Duck
Vessel Make
1996 Shannon Voyager
Good Morning,

In my search for a 32'-36' Trawler I came across a Shannon with twin Peninsular.

Anyone familiar with the Shannon brand or the Peninsular diesels. Is peninsular part General Motors ?

Thanks,
Bill R. Chocowinity, NC

Peninsular would not be my first (or second) choice for diesel power plant myself, rather specialized from a parts/service standpoint and reduced resale ability.

Guys,

Thanks for the information, everything helps.

Bill R.

Not a damn thing wrong with Shannon powerboats. They are well built and usually damn good looking. Check out Shannon Voyager 36. Beautiful boats!

I don't know much about the Penninsular engines.

And if you are looking at the 36... There are only two on YW...one with Penninsular engines and the other with Cummins. Cummins would not be a bad choice.

mmm never heard of Penninsular engines. I would imagine parts would be expensive and hard to find???

Based on the GM 6.5l V8. This is a really big indirect injection aka swirl chamber or glow plug engine. Fuel consumption won't be as good as a direct injection. Also use aluminum exhaust manifolds and turbo crossover.

Not my favorite marine engine, but can get the job done.

Not a damn thing wrong with Shannon powerboats. They are well built and usually damn good looking. Check out Shannon Voyager 36. Beautiful boats!

I don't know much about the Penninsular engines.
Are these the same guys that build Shannon sailboats ?

Guys,

Thanks again, They are beautiful and they look like boats !

Just bought a 1987 Shannon 32 Brendan, built in Rhode Island, with twin Cummins 6BT 210 hp engines. Despite the year the decks & cabins are solid with very little crazing. The hull is very good, no blistering. Just a few leaks around a couple of windows, forward bit and 2 hatches. Oh and the biggie starboard fuel tank leaks.

She's a V hull with enough keel to prevent low speed slewing. Also, has an easy roll when on the mooring.

Plumbed engines to port tank and made the six hour trip home. Cruised at 15 knots @ 2000 rpm most of the time.

So, far so good. Now if I can get sound level down. My guess is in the high 90 decibel range.

All,

We closed on a boat with Cummin's so the Pennisular's are no longer a concern
just worked out that the boat had Cummins.

Thanks for all the input,
Bill R.

Back
Top Bottom