Shannon 46 with SRD hull fuel consumption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Manyboats that was not a Sumner craft built on Long Island sound NY say back in the 60s?

eyes,
Yes indeed ... Amitiville NY. Mine was a 29' express w a 120 Sabre. Loved the boat but we were moving to AK and she had to go. Life was complicated enough at that time .. and now to come to think of it.

I was worried about the sandwich construction as she was 40 years old at the time. And I was charmed by the Willard.

Amazing boat the Sumner Craft and only 8,000lbs (half that of the Willard) even w that heavy engine. She was sunk by exhaust water ingress and the Sabre engine was basically new purchased by the insurance company. I should have given her to a broker as I only got $5K.

The thing I loved about the SC is that she'd cruise at 12 knots w/o much power on and make 20 at WOT.

Sounds like it's still in the "to be considered" category

Like all projects it takes big time and big money. Send money, and I can finish my 1 inch to the foot power test boat.

Some of the efficiency may come from the box keel creating a SWATH vessel, if most of the displacement is in the box.

It is also possible the bottom of the keel creates some water ski lift , which again would reduce wave making.

On one built version the builder complained of poor steering , after he about doubled the HP!

Atkin was Very unhappy the boat was modified , but simply recommended chine strips to stop the chine steering.

That should mean not much boat hull was touching the water.

While the Atkin reverse deadrise and box keel would be fine underwater ,

the profile would come from the master MR H. from a boat named STROLLER , my favorite.

Attachments

• Stroller.jpg
    Stroller.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Regarding the efficiency of hydraulic drive, While living in Germany 2007-2010, I got to know the owner of a large yacht rental company (big business in Europe). To save the common breakage of drive-line components experienced with rentals, they went with a no-frills Nanni (Kabota) traditional 75 HP diesel mated to a Peachment (UK) hydraulic drives in modern, Polish built riverboat style hulls in 43 and 47 ft. if I recall correctly. The maintenance department was delighted with the life and reliability of this combo, especially since it nearly eliminated drive-line breakage, I rented one of these boats for a couple of weeks, and one could pull the throttle from full ahead, right through the gate to full reverse with no consequences, but this level of drive-line forgiveness has to come from the fluid component absorbing energy. According to the owner, that absorption rate resulted in an average of 15 to 17 more fuel spent over the rental period vs. the same engine and conventional tranny.

... one could pull the throttle from full ahead, right through the gate to full reverse with no consequences, but this level of drive-line forgiveness has to come from the fluid component absorbing energy. According to the owner, that absorption rate resulted in an average of 15 to 17 more fuel spent over the rental period vs. the same engine and conventional tranny.

Guess it comes to: Pushing fluid costs fuel... water or otherwise! :whistling:

... the profile would come from the master MR H. from a boat named STROLLER , my favorite.

Damn - I love that boat! TY for posting pict...

Hydraulic drive could be more efficient w short relatively straight large dia hoses or better yet pipes.

Stroller has a beautiful hull a little like eyshulman's boat but her house is lacking. Classic looking though. Not timeless.

For a rental boat with high cost German labor rates Hyd drive would be ideal.

However for almost zero effort an old Twin Disc can be found with a SAE bell housing.

About $500 used and reverse is forever , so any direction prop can be used with any direction engine.

They are mechanical and HEAVY , but so efficient that no oil cooler is used and only 5 Quarts of lube oil (50wt) is required..

The ones from landing craft come with a warning !
, do not shift from fwd to reverse at full throttle TOO OFTEN

I was pretty impressed watching the SRD performance videos. A new boat is something I have no interest in.
Bill

Still no response from PMY on my critique of their test data. I made a point of stressing that fuel burn data on a boat that is marketed for its efficiency ought to receive extra scrutiny...both from the magazine staff and from the manufacturer. Last time I pinged them about something their reply was in the letter to editor section of next issue. If they do respond they will no doubt blame the calibration of the fuel flow instrumentation. We'll see. They'll probably cancel my free subscription...

they will no doubt blame the calibration of the fuel flow instrumentation.

When I bought LUCY I knew what the boat was like , the USN bought them like cookies so I sent a surveyor , rather than fly to Maine in Feb.

His report was enough for me to purchase her but the performance numbers were fantastic !!!

The RPM / speed was hard to believe , when asked the surveyor admitted his GPS was mistakenly was in klicks , not NM . OOOOPS

Sadly the performance is just normal, not world beating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom