Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
A shame to put it back in the water

This was our boat before we relaunched it yesterday morning. Seems a shame to put it back in the water and hide them again.......
Attached Thumbnails
Props.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Tupelo,Ms
Vessel Name: Jolly Time
Vessel Model: 36' Uniflite Sport Sedan
Nice Bling Bling!!
21' Mastercraft Prostar
Jolly Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Beautiful shot Marin! A candidate for the next header photo I think...
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Aside from elbow grease, what if anything was applied to the props?
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Guru

It's probably a good thing to hide them, somebody would steal them!
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Aside from elbow grease, what if anything was applied to the props?
Nothing. We use the boat enough that barnacles and whatnot are not much of an issue. Plus we have a dive service check the bottom every six months or so. I did talk to the yard manager this time about prop coatings and he said that while they carry threes types he personally doesn't think any of them are either worth the cost or do a very effective job over time, which jibed with my own opinion. We've never used anything on the running gear in the thirteen years we've owned the boat and saw no reason to start now.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #7

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
Awesome set of wheels, Marin. Did you do it yourself, and what process was used. Envious minds want to know.

"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #8

City: Nassau
Vessel Name: Take Five II
Vessel Model: Present 42
Very Nice, I notice you do not have any zincs on the rudders, are they bonded to something else ?
Regards
Graham
Take Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

The rudders are bronze as is the entire steering system in the lazarette. All of it is tied into the bonding system. The boat has two "license" plate zincs on the transom, we run two shaft zincs per shaft, and we have shaft wipers in the engine room.

Our marina has brackish or fresh water on top of it because of a stream emptying into the marina and a large river emptying into the bay so on the advice of our marine electric shop and the dive service we use we, like a lot of other boaters in the marina, also hang a zinc on a heavy cable about six feet down off the stern. The cable is clamped to one of the rudder bars and thus into the bonding system.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
Awesome set of wheels, Marin. Did you do it yourself, and what process was used. Envious minds want to know.
After discussing the various prop coating options with the yard manager and deciding not to use any of them I told the manager to just "clean off the props and we'll call it good." What they did is what you see in the photos. I have no idea what method they used. So far as I know they did not remove the props to do it. Whatever they did they charged us two hours labor and that's it.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
"A shame to put it back in the water"

Not in my book. Boats belong in the water.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Big Tuna
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I just had mine done a couple months ago....felt like when I was in the army after being in the field for several weeks and being able to put on fresh underwear...the simple things in life are the most satisfying.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00000021.jpg  
baldpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr.baldpaul, welcome aboard if I haven't offered the greeting before. Now let me get this straight...You were in the Canadian army and got underwear? Must have been under a Liberal government surely...
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Talking

With everybody bragging on their clean props, please don't overlook the very large rudders on the DeFever in comparison to the much smaller on the Grand Banks. That DeFever is a monster!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Tom,
Relative to the size of the boat I'll bet Willy's got the DF beat for rudder size. Below the water line I personally do'nt see what's so special about the DF. They have a great following so are probably a well designed boat but they seem middle of the road or a bit above average like Art's Tolly. Good boats to be sure but nothing really exceptional jumps out at me when I see them hauled. Looks like the DF's have a high CG but it could'nt be "too" high or their reputation would have gone south quite some time ago. Pic is for rudder size on Willy.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71269.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It's nice to have a keep-protected, barn-door rudder.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Big Tuna
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Regarding underwear.....yes, 4 pair, green, big hatch in front....very thin material. I still have a couple pair From 1985 I wear on special occasions. Government at the time was Conservative.
baldpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
With everybody bragging on their clean props, please don't overlook the very large rudders on the DeFever in comparison to the much smaller on the Grand Banks. That DeFever is a monster!
Of course the deFever is 13 feet longer and Lord knows how much heavier than the GB. Rudders are nothing but drag, so putting big rudders on a small boat, or putting too-large rudders on a big boat, is not always the smart thing to be doing. I've never felt our boat is not responsive enough to rudder input. If our rudders were on that deFever I would probably feel differently if I was the deFever helmsman.

The trick is to find the right balance (pun intended) between effectivness and drag when it comes to a rudder. On slow boats like ours the drag is not as impactful a factor as it was on, say, a PT boat. But it's a factor nevertheless.

In looking at the photo of the deFever, it appears to me that the relative size of the props to the rudders is about the same as it is on our GB although the deFever's rectangular rudder shape would give them more area than the GBs more tapered rudders if they were all the same size.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
[QUOTE=manyboats;83350]

"...they seem middle of the road or a bit above average like Art's Tolly. Good boats to be sure but nothing really exceptional jumps out at me when I see them hauled."

Darn Eric

Due to not having a good pict of our baby girl's pretty private parts, I hadn't even placed my georgious Tolly Baby into this "under the skirt" X-Rated beauty contest... but, then of course, you just had to mention me and, down play our Tolly a bit anyway, now didn't cha?? And after all the wonderful things I say about your wooden boat! Tolly is just shaking her carefree fiberglass head She is pretty shy about her private parts' beauty ya know!

She dosen't blurt it out and very easily expose herself like others. Never would allow me to snap a pict while in the stirrups on the hard!

But, I'm NOT one bit shy!! Tolly and I compliment each other well.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
OK Eric, your Willy is bigger than one of baldpauls, but he has two!~

Mark your protected position is to be noted but get that thing out in the ocean and report back.

Marin, in relation to prop size my applied Cad program gives the edge to the DeFever largely because it is rectangular rather than spade shaped. Inches count!~

And baldpaul, please tell me you have a Bruce anchor?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote