Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #21

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Thanks FF but as stated in the original post she's fully seaworthy. - For anybody that may be interested I'm in the middle of assembling a Facebook page with photos (in no particular order) of some of the work I've done to the boat over the last decade. Search Facebook for: Our Grand Banks

Old 04-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I remember some of the posts you had on here showing your shop and custom work. Wish I was in the market. And I'm even close to you...

Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #23
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
The company I use for wood work was a cabinet maker in Canada. I cant remember for sure but, I think the economy went south for custom furniture, in Canada, about 15-20 years ago. He sold out, moved his family to FL and opened up a small shop. I was either the first or nearly the first to employ his talents. I joke and remind him, I kept his family fed for the first year. I had lots to do on my 1989 N46. He totally rebuild the forward stateroom, drawers, cedar lined hanging closet for the 'then' wife. (A side note: after she vacated the boat, I didn't have to buy toilet paper for over a year.)
The largest project he tackled was an over 200 ft yacht. He is proud, he brought it in under time and under budget. He expanded his business,, employing all the good workers in the Ft Lauderdale area.
He moved his shop down to the dock into temporary buildings.
I think his major contact person was the owner's wife. He made her a very happy lady with his design and construction.
He tackled everything from the bilge up to the pilot house. Everything in the engine room and auxiliary spaces was cleaned, repaired and painted. I had the privilege to tour the boat when it was near completion. I was impressed.
When finished, the owner's wife was very happy which meant the owner was happy, the captain was happy and I am sure the crew was very happy too.
The shop's owner tries for major projects but, will still do piddle jobs for the common folk like me.
I highly recommend him for your cabinet work. To be honest, he aint cheap but you will be totally pleased with his work and it will help sell the boat when you deem "the time".
As the boat owner, I call them up and when they can work me into the schedule, they come out, listen to my 'wants', he makes suggestions then it may take a couple of visits to make patterns. When he is finished, he installs the completed project and makes the necessary 'adjustments' to my liking.
The father retired, turned everything over to his very well trained son. The son has employed 2 permanent employees and will employ others when the job demands it.
IF you want some serious custom design cabinet work done on your boat, ......
Dennis Boat Works in Ft Lauderdale. He will also do small single cabinet work too. On my AT34/36, he added 5 small cabinets and just before I left, a hydraulic assist lift so I can access the space under the owner's berth. Until I get back, it is empty. I just need to find the proper size bins for the storage.
I visualize moving the spare filters and parts to this area, freeing up at least one drawer in the saloon and one under seat storage area.
For heaven's sake please dont tell my sweet, beautiful, gentle, heart of gold 'house mouse' or she will put more of her clothes there too. CHUCKLE She already has 2 drawer and I have one. I gave her half of the small hanging closet but, I have noticed, my hanging clothes keep getting scrunched up/compressed more and more. ROFL
Ah, on the N46 he added 3 gates in the cockpit... and a swim platform too.
This is not a paid advertisement, consider it an unpaid, well deserved endorsement from me.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #24

Dan did you mean to reply to this thread??? I'm in Canada way out on the left coast and not in the market for any custom cabinetry. - Boyd
Old 04-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
Dan did you mean to reply to this thread??? I'm in Canada way out on the left coast and not in the market for any custom cabinetry. - Boyd
LOL, two words caught my attention, Canada and cabinets. That started my thesis. Sorry about that. I have this strange mind and memory.

Of course, if you ever float down to FL with a bag full of money and a desire for custom cabinets, "Have I got a shipright for you."
Old 04-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #26

Ha ha! - The real irony is that I'm a woodworker too AND I just got back from Florida. Helped a friend move his Grand Alaskan 60 from Ft Lauderdale down to Key West. Ft Lauderdale is one of the few places where a 60 foot yacht looks small ;-) - Boyd
Old 04-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Ha ha! - The real irony is that I'm a woodworker too AND I just got back from Florida. Helped a friend move his Grand Alaskan 60 from Ft Lauderdale down to Key West. Ft Lauderdale is one of the few places where a 60 foot yacht looks small ;-) - Boyd
Yup, my AT34/36 just might be consider one of the many yacht toys. LOL
Dan.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #28

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
Grand Banks always seem to do well in the local market. I assume that alot of the work could be done by you if you are a wood worker. The generator...well I suppose you could just get it working as best as possible and be up front with the buyer. Too rough on overall condition makes a hard sell and if you have the ability I guess the question comes down to drive to do it. Maybe think of it as caring for a sick member of the family.

Grand Banks are definitely on my list of boats to buy and I can't be alone, but I would be scared off by too bad a condition.

Would certainly be a nice boat for my Howe Sound cruising to Centre Bay.
LowNSlow77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNSlow77 View Post
Grand Banks always seem to do well in the local market. I assume that alot of the work could be done by you if you are a wood worker. The generator...well I suppose you could just get it working as best as possible and be up front with the buyer. Too rough on overall condition makes a hard sell and if you have the ability I guess the question comes down to drive to do it. Maybe think of it as caring for a sick member of the family.

Grand Banks are definitely on my list of boats to buy and I can't be alone, but I would be scared off by too bad a condition.

Would certainly be a nice boat for my Howe Sound cruising to Centre Bay.
Funny you'd say that! Before moving to Vancouver Island we were based in Squamish and Centre Bay was a regular stop for us; Centre Bay Yacht Station to be precise...we just sold our membership last year.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:03 AM   #30

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
We are Centre Bay members as well but only the last couple of years.

A Grand Banks would certainly be a nice boat for that kind of cruising. I thought I saw somewhere that you are on the island now. Is the boat near you or is the distance part of the difficulty?

I have spent alot of time on the island as my wife is from the mid island area. Hopefully there are marinas as I am likely to retire there some day.
LowNSlow77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:42 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNSlow77 View Post
We are Centre Bay members as well but only the last couple of years.

A Grand Banks would certainly be a nice boat for that kind of cruising. I thought I saw somewhere that you are on the island now. Is the boat near you or is the distance part of the difficulty?

I have spent alot of time on the island as my wife is from the mid island area. Hopefully there are marinas as I am likely to retire there some day.
"Just asking", what was the price of the last share transaction?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #32

Will have to get back to you on that, my wife will have the number (right to the last red cent).
Old 04-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Boku
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Quote:
Will have to get back to you on that, my wife will have the number (right to the last red cent).
Have you gotten your FB page put together? I searched but can't seem to find anything.

As a "budget buyer" who has been looking at boats, as long as it floats, and runs, I'm ok fixing things up. My opinion is keep it running and price it to move, you may end up helping someone find their dream boat who might otherwise not be able to afford it.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #34

Toocoys, it's a work in progress but the page is up "Our Grand Banks"
BTW Facebook has been a bit buggy, some of my posts on that page have disappeared but are now back up. Keep checking as I will be adding more photos as I find them. https://www.facebook.com/groups/271374167106126/
Old 04-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #35
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Many different opinions and we were/are all buyers.

Goes to show no correct answer.

That's one of the best quotes I've seen on this forum!
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #36

City: Grenadines
If it was me, I would haul the boat, have the bottom done and make sure the engines and running gear was in perfect order. I much prefer the old Onans (I know where to get parts, etc), and any knowledgeable buyer would too, but leave that replacement choice to the new owner along with the aesthetics.
But a motor boat must run, and run well, if you want to get anything like a fair decent for her.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #37

City: vashon, wa
Vessel Name: High Flight
Vessel Model: Symbol 557
Clean her as best you can. Make sure it smells good as well. Don't take it personally when your offered 1/2 of what you thought you would get. Now is a good time to sell so make haste, clean, detail inside and geeterdun
dotgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #38

City: Vancouver BC
Vessel Name: Argo Navis
Vessel Model: 42 Ft. Cape Flattery Trawler
Leaky Cabin

Our Cape Flattery 42 had a leak in the aft cabin that we had repaired at Lynwood in North Vancouver. The seam around the cabin frame that formed the deck was covered with steak rail. All of that was removed. The leak test did give a pretty good indication where the water was travelling but we ended up sealing all the way around and same on the deck seams. We put in new teak where needed and also removed and refitted the forward cabin with a new hatch. It was a bit north of 15,000 just to give an idea what that part of it might cost.

Good Luck. You have to see the Grand old lady under the mess. It is a quality vessel.
gr.andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #39
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Having sold a wooden Grand Baks 42 almost four years ago now, I can only tell you what I did. The boat was never reduced to the "shame" level you report during my ownership; so I was not faced with the decision to sell "as is" or "make her right." Since I owned it for so long, I was emotionalyy invested in where it went and how it woud fare, and I am happy to report that it continues to get cared for and upgraded by the new owner who invariably consults with me as he does things. The buyer and seller were both happy with the price which included a big box of Onan spares, and the boat sailed under new ownership two weeks to the day after I posted the website withit for sale. So if you are emotional about it, fix it up. If not, dump it, but know that the new owner may not treat her like a lady if she doesn't look the part. Your call.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #40

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Athena
Vessel Model: 5539 Californian
Quote:
She was very much our pride and joy until a series of life changes turned our focus away from our once shining example of vintage fiberglass.
These are the operative words. She was once very much our pride and joy and can very much so be again unless you have completely lost interest.

4blade1 is offline   Reply With Quote