Shackleton's "Endurance" found.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Wiki
Shackleton had served in the Antarctic on the*Discovery*expedition*of 1901–1904, and had led the*Nimrod*expedition*of 1907–1909. In this new venture he proposed to sail to the*Weddell Sea*and to land a shore party near*Vahsel Bay, in preparation for a transcontinental march via the*South Pole*to the*Ross Sea. A supporting group, the*Ross Sea party, would meanwhile establish camp in*McMurdo Sound, and from there lay a series of supply depots across the*Ross Ice Shelf*to the foot of the*Beardmore Glacier. These depots would be essential for the transcontinental party's survival, as the group would not be able to carry enough provisions for the entire crossing. The expedition required two ships:*Endurance*under Shackleton for the Weddell Sea party, and*Aurora, under*Aeneas Mackintosh, for the Ross Sea party.

I talked to my old classmate yesterday as noted in Post 16. Their family was thrilled to see the ship images. He tried to get on the expedition as crew, but found out too late and couldn’t get a spot.

Good call on the hut

Sorry for the bad info on the hut. It was not Shackleton's. I could not find the emails the pics came with, nor could I ask my friend unfortunately. But I did find a pic of the plaques. Discovery expedition 1901-1904

Scott's hut, and I took the liberty to include a couple additional pics (hope the resolution holds up).
Sorry for the drift from original.

Attachments

• 1123plaque.jpg
    1123plaque.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Img0101.jpg
    Img0101.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1123Trumilk.jpg
    1123Trumilk.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1123Shelve3.jpg
    1123Shelve3.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 0102Plaque.jpg
    0102Plaque.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 10
Good to know. My discussions over the years with my friend seemed to center around Shackleton rather than Scott for some reason.
Either way they were extraordinary people.

I just read the book. Finding the Endurance is bordering on miraculous.
I disagree... its interesting given today's technology...
The real miracle is what Shackekton and his team accomplished!!!

~A

I am also a big Shackleton fan and have read several of the noted books. I keep a black and white photo of the men in one of the small boats they used for the epic journey in our wheelhouse.

One of my classmates from the 80’s, Scott Shackleton, visited the Pole to commemorate his relatives achievements. https://www.pacaf.af.mil/News/Artic...escendant-visits-south-pole-with-deep-freeze/

Likewise and I have a framed photo of the departure in the rowboat from Elephant Island in what has been called the most amazing feat of navigation ever, on my home office wall. Still give me shivers when I read about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyage_of_the_James_Caird

I have been lucky enough to have worked under good leaders in my career. Motivational people. Nothing like Shackleton however,
~A

I have been lucky enough to have worked under good leaders in my career. Motivational people.

As was I. The problem with working for giants is that they will eventually be displaced by pygmies.

Early retirement/second career was my salvation.

Likewise and I have a framed photo of the departure in the rowboat from Elephant Island.....~A

I realize that this may be construed as near blasphemy here, but......

I admit that Hurley's photography was nothing short of heroic. Not only to take the pictures, but to transport the glass plates back to civilization to share with the world ( and help raise funds ). It is worth noting however that he has admittedly taken liberties with his staging of photos and use of composit images. I don't think he misrepresented things and I don't think this diminishes any of the miraculous nature of the expedition. He was involved in some controversy during his time as a WWI photographer for using composite images to show the battlefield in a way he was not able to capture in a single photo, and if you look at the Shackleton photos long enough you start to see some discrepancies. Particularly the lifeboat James Caird. It is variously pictured with 0, 1 or 2 masts. The top photo below is from the Library of Congress, and the bottom photo is from the auction house Bonhams in a story about the photo being sold. Both sources should be reliable.....

Again....please don't think I am belittling Hurley, Shackleton or their accomplishments....just pointing out that he has been known to uses artistic license with his printing.

Top photo:https://www.loc.gov/resource/cph.3a11986/
Bottom photo:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-bid-save-crew-1915-mission-sale-40-000.html

Attachments

• Hurley Hijinx.jpg
    Hurley Hijinx.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 7
Good point. Obviously the top photo is the original, as the bottom photo has been cropped.

Hurley certainly received flak for altering his photo's of Australian soldiers in WW1 on the western front.

Still, it is an old well used technique. I understand the famous picture of the US Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima in WW2 was a reconstruction.

Back
Top Bottom