Old 11-27-2017, 12:25 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Fletch, lemme know if you want to explore the delta together in your leisure years. I'm always looking for another excuse to return to the delta.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:30 AM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Al, one day we should take our boats further than 500 yards beyond the Golden Gate Bridge. Perhaps you could catch a Great White at the Farallon Islands some 24 miles further. You need to experience the rollers of the shallow Potato Patch too.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Zhuhai
Vessel Name: SEZ HU
Vessel Model: Buehler 38' COOT
Rio Vista's restaurant full of trophy heads and a nearby trolley museum, Gordy Rule's steak restaurant in Isleston, trying to dock at the 3 Mile Slough gas dock with current running about 7 Kts, Captain John's Riverboat restaurant - John sitting at the bar daring ladies to "donate" their panties which he hung around the bar. Locke a little bit of old China with a restaurant in the middle called "Al The Wop's" that served Peanut Butter with their steaks. Loved it! Haven't visited in 40 years.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Redwood City, CA
Vessel Name: Woodhouse
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
This weekend I made a small tour of the area. I'm based in Redwood City. On Thursday I went to Pillar Point Harbor (Half Moon Bay). I got a later start than I had planned, and ended up arriving after dark. I don't recommend this, as the approach is "interesting". But with the help of my chartplotter I managed to find it and get anchored. It was also foggy, going and coming back, and leaving the next morning was not much easier. The fog finally lifted as I got back to the Golden Gate area. It is crab season and I had to dodge many crab pot floats. I'd like to go back some time and actually see Half Moon Bay.
Upon re-entering the bay, I headed for Angel Island and moored at Ayala Cove. Apparently the Friday after Thanksgiving is a busy time there. I managed to get one of the last available moorings.
On Saturday, after a short early morning hike on the island, I made a quick trip over to Treasure Isle Marina. This being the last weekend of the month, the Treasure Island Flea Market was going on, and I did some shopping there before spending the night on the boat.
Weather for Sunday was threatening, so I left before dawn and headed for home again in the dark. I had to dodge one big container ship, which for some reason didn't show up on my radar, but otherwise traffic was light. The wind had already picked up, but luckily it was a south wind and didn't cause me any problems with steering as a west wind would have done. I got some nice sunrise photos and made it back home to Westpoint Marina just before the rain started.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Fletch, lemme know if you want to explore the delta together in your leisure years. I'm always looking for another excuse to return to the delta.
Sounds great Al.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #26
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
You guys are making me homesick- grew up in Redwood City and first boating experience was learning how to sail Vallejo to Alameda first - at night. My job was to look out for the mooring balls for the tankers.... then mooring off of Angel Island, Tiburon, or docks all over the place - blissfully over a couple years then the boat owner transferred....to Maui. Then guess where I moved ?
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:29 PM   #27
Master and Commander

Spending Thanksgiving at Angel Island was suggested by Latitude 38.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Old 11-28-2017, 01:23 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
You guys are making me homesick- grew up in Redwood City and first boating experience was learning how to sail Vallejo to Alameda first - at night. My job was to look out for the mooring balls for the tankers.... then mooring off of Angel Island, Tiburon, or docks all over the place - blissfully over a couple years then the boat owner transferred....to Maui. Then guess where I moved ?
Chicago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Al, one day we should take our boats further than 500 yards beyond the Golden Gate Bridge. Perhaps you could catch a Great White at the Farallon Islands some 24 miles further. You need to experience the rollers of the shallow Potato Patch too.
No thanks, Mark. I'm most comfortable in the Bay and Delta. It's my comfort zone...no need to depart from that when pleasure boating. Besides, I still get to catch fish longer than my fishing rod and heavier than me.

There's no better comfort fishing to me than sturgeon fishing on a lazy slough with no other boats around in mild weather. No schedules, no pressure and no sea threats. I may not catch many fish, but I remember each one. You couldn't drag me out of the delta for long.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:28 AM   #29
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Dont forget going south to Stillwater cove in Carmel with stops in Half moon bay and Capitola

I saw Stillwater from the beach, looked like a pleasant anchorage. Any specific tips for anchoring there?

As for Capitola, been there by car but not yet by boat. What's the situation like there? Is there a harbor? Anchorage?

Thanks!
Mike
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Redwood City, CA
Vessel Name: Woodhouse
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Spending Thanksgiving at Angel Island was suggested by Latitude 38.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
I think I see my boat in that first photo.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #31
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

No thanks, Mark. I'm most comfortable in the Bay and Delta. It's my comfort zone...no need to depart from that when pleasure boating. Besides, I still get to catch fish longer than my fishing rod and heavier than me.

There's no better comfort fishing to me than sturgeon fishing on a lazy slough with no other boats around in mild weather. No schedules, no pressure and no sea threats. I may not catch many fish, but I remember each one. You couldn't drag me out of the delta for long.
Al, your current avatar showing FlyWright heading west under the Golden Gate Bridge had lead me to believe an ocean voyage might be in your future.