setting transponder offset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm the only person that operates my boat, so I've not had the need to do this, but I have friends who made a label that adheres to the panel by the chart plotter saying something to the effect of "Depth shown is depth BELOW THE KEEL".

Given their are two methods of offset, that seems a wise move.

I'm the only person that operates my boat, so I've not had the need to do this, but I have friends who made a label that adheres to the panel by the chart plotter saying something to the effect of "Depth shown is depth BELOW THE KEEL".

Given their are two methods of offset, that seems a wise move.

For you, but not necessarily others.

I want to know the depth of water beneath the keel.
Chart noted depth will not keep me from running aground.
If the chart says 10ft and I draw 4ft, I know I have 6ft beneath my keel.

isn't that contradictory? Isn't what your sounder says critical? Water under the keel?

Doesn't matter.... its the SAME thing.....

Obviously people think differently and what works best for them, so be it.

Trying to say one method is better for everyone says a lot about the advice.

We changed the depth sounders to read depth from the surface and suddenly all was wonderful. We both knew we drew 5' so subtracting that mentally was instinctive, and now our depth sounder matched the charts and we always knew what we were talking about.

That's my approach also. We know we need 4' of water. The depth displays are all calibrated for total water depth. As long as the number is more than 4, we're good. Charts (on any kind of media) only need to indicate there's more than 4'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom