Old 01-19-2022, 10:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Enfield, CT
Vessel Model: 1982 Albin 40 DC
Settee back cushion build

Hey guys- for whatever reason, my 1982 Albin 40 DC did not come with the back cushions for the settee and I want to build them myself. What I need help with is how to bend the 1/2” plywood for the corner piece. I don’t want a hard 90° corner but one with the radii. I had two thoughts:

A.) rip multiple cuts with a table saw through to the last layer of ply, soak wood in water, bend then epoxy in the cuts so it keeps it’s form.

Or

B.) rip strips of the ply on angle to form the bend. Say 6 strips at 15°. Then glue the strips together to and sand the edges for a smooth curve.

Below I have attach a picture of the settee. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
CCE43D4C-0C23-4870-A32F-0F67BCDDF0B1.jpg  
SeaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBoy View Post
Hey guys- for whatever reason, my 1982 Albin 40 DC did not come with the back cushions for the settee and I want to build them myself. What I need help with is how to bend the 1/2” plywood for the corner piece. I don’t want a hard 90° corner but one with the radii. I had two thoughts:

A.) rip multiple cuts with a table saw through to the last layer of ply, soak wood in water, bend then epoxy in the cuts so it keeps it’s form.

Or

B.) rip strips of the ply on angle to form the bend. Say 6 strips at 15°. Then glue the strips together to and sand the edges for a smooth curve.

Below I have attach a picture of the settee. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.
Why not just get cushions? You know Admials love pillows.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:06 AM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBoy View Post

Or

I am not certain, but I think that my corner cushions in a banquette have no solid back, just the foam. I will check later this week when I'm on the boat and revert.
~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:22 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
A thought.
Use 1/8 veneer X 4 to get 1/2 inch. Build a frame into the corner for backing to bend the 1/8 material past the point where later you will later cut it. Apply glue and lay the next 1/8 and so on. oversize so you can trim to suit.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
I am not certain, but I think that my corner cushions in a banquette have no solid back, just the foam. I will check later this week when I'm on the boat and revert.
~A
Awesome. Thanks AlanT
Old 01-20-2022, 06:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
A thought.
Use 1/8 veneer X 4 to get 1/2 inch. Build a frame into the corner for backing to bend the 1/8 material past the point where later you will later cut it. Apply glue and lay the next 1/8 and so on. oversize so you can trim to suit.
Also a good idea
Old 01-20-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
~A
Quote:
A thought.
These were my initial thoughts.
Regardless of which you choose its best to cut the foam about a 1/2" oversize around all sides compared to what you'd like as finished dimensions. Make the cover the finished size desired and "stuff" the foam in to fill the shape w/o any puckers.
If stuffing is difficult use of a very light wt plastic bag (dry cleaner bag) will help and can be left in place or pulled out after providing opening left toward the far end from the covering opening.
Good luck & let us know how it turns out.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
A thought.

All but the final layer can be construction grade plywood, "door skin", the last, fine teak or other veneer to suit.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:20 PM   #9

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
why do you need plywood? most corner back cushions are simply a stiff foam (backing) with softer foam on the seat side if that's your preference.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:01 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatswing View Post
why do you need plywood? most corner back cushions are simply a stiff foam (backing) with softer foam on the seat side if that's your preference.
After another look at the original post, I see he has the teak plywood in place to give shape to whatever cushions are added. The rail above curves around the corner, so the plywood back section below must curve around as well. The OP must be asking only about building the cushions for the corner. His question suggests that he will use plywood inside the cushion to get the curve.

My boat has a similar settee, with a curved corner. Our upholstery has been replaced twice. Building the corner cushion was indeed a challenge. It was accomplished by sewing a curve in the edge pieces of fabric and bending a flat piece of 4" foam into the bent cushion after it was sewn, where the zipper was in the bottom edge. It works. You just need to get the dimensions figured out first.
Measure twice, then cut.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:26 PM   #11

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
This is probably the minority opinion but I will put it out there. I do not understand draw of rounded back corners in boat L shaped benches. The best thing about these benches is that you can lounge around on them in the evening with your back in the corner of the bench, and your legs splayed out. If there is a weird round corner it messes everything up. My advice is to take this opportunity to modify the wood bench back and make it square, then sew square cushions to go with it. If your wood working isn't the best, it won't really matter since it will be hidden behind the cushion. If you do decide to keep the round corner, I would make the normal cushions on either side of it, then take them to a professional, and have them build the round cushion to match the ones you made. I think it is going to be ver hard to make a round cushion that look good.

I recently sewed new cushions for my new boat. My benches were framed square, but there was a rounded cushion in the corner, with a square back. When I made new cushions I changed it to a square corner. It doesn't look quite as custom, but it is way more comfortable than the original set up. It was also way easier to sew.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0095 (1).jpg   IMG_0096 (1).jpg  
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon III View Post
This is probably the minority opinion but I will put it out there. I do not understand draw of rounded back corners in boat L shaped benches. The best thing about these benches is that you can lounge around on them in the evening with your back in the corner of the bench, and your legs splayed out. If there is a weird round corner it messes everything up. My advice is to take this opportunity to modify the wood bench back and make it square, then sew square cushions to go with it. If your wood working isn't the best, it won't really matter since it will be hidden behind the cushion. If you do decide to keep the round corner, I would make the normal cushions on either side of it, then take them to a professional, and have them build the round cushion to match the ones you made. I think it is going to be ver hard to make a round cushion that look good.

I recently sewed new cushions for my new boat. My benches were framed square, but there was a rounded cushion in the corner, with a square back. When I made new cushions I changed it to a square corner. It doesn't look quite as custom, but it is way more comfortable than the original set up. It was also way easier to sew.

Dude…. I love your settee cushions. That’s a great idea
Old 01-22-2022, 07:04 PM   #13

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
Quote:
This is probably the minority opinion but I will put it out there. I do not understand draw of rounded back corners in boat L shaped benches. The best thing about these benches is that you can lounge around on them in the evening with your back in the corner of the bench, and your legs splayed out. If there is a weird round corner it messes everything up.
I could not agree more. It was my first thought when I saw this thread.
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:

Snapdragon III- can you tell me how you made your cushions? i.e. fabric, foam, material