Send me your credit card and driver's license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But asking for what s/he did shows a very amateur-hour business operation, she should know that these days that would raise all kinds of red flags with customers.

Not to mention a liability nightmare if identity theft is traced back to a hack of his system.

We too use Pay Pal, but have a technique for one time purchases.

We use a debt card .,and load it with about $5.00 more than the total purchase price.

If compromised , they get $5.00 , at best.

I am told a stolen ID will be used for a tiny purchase , to prove the card is valid before being sold.

Hope its sold to folks with no sense of humor!
Belt and suspenders that. The merchant does not get your card info, that's the whole point of PP.

But for merchants that don't take PP, check out AMEX's prepaid Serve.com, let's you create four "sub cards" you can cancel anytime.

Costs $1 a month but they waive it when you're active.

Great for separating ongoing donations / subscriptions.

And, they would like you to send the PIN number that goes along with the credit card, and your mother's maiden name, as well. Just to be sure, you know.

We too use Pay Pal, but have a technique for one time purchases.

We use a debt card .,and load it with about $5.00 more than the total purchase price.

If compromised , they get $5.00 , at best.

I am told a stolen ID will be used for a tiny purchase , to prove the card is valid before being sold.

Hope its sold to folks with no sense of humor!

My wife and I have discussed doing this.

I am also a proponent of the extra care credit/debit card issuers are taking these days, inconvenient as it sometimes is. Someone (likely a waiter, we think) stole the number off her debit card. We were notified of suspicious activity--two attempted charges of $0.67 to verify the card before the thief sold it. There were two subsequnt attempts to buy hundreds of dollars of merchandise that the issuer declined. All of this activity happened in a single day.

I like the way Europeans handle checks at restaurants, with the card processor brought to the table. The card never leaves the owners' hands.

My wife and I have discussed doing this.

I am also a proponent of the extra care credit/debit card issuers are taking these days, inconvenient as it sometimes is. Someone (likely a waiter, we think) stole the number off her debit card. We were notified of suspicious activity--two attempted charges of $0.67 to verify the card before the thief sold it. There were two subsequnt attempts to buy hundreds of dollars of merchandise that the issuer declined. All of this activity happened in a single day.

I like the way Europeans handle checks at restaurants, with the card processor brought to the table. The card never leaves the owners' hands.

I could make an argument to NEVER, EVER pay for a meal with a credit card. Fraud is huge. Cash works, and most often exact change works better.

My buddy with his restaurant has a fraud case going on at all times... never ends. But on his end, if he doesn't accept CC, he looses business.

Most people I know only use cash for tiny transactions, maybe a few times a month, prefer for everything to be tracked.

Even at our local farmers' market most people use plastic, and of course the SNAP cards most of all.

Won't be too long cash will be viewed with suspicion, then illegal. Already that way for large amounts.

Most people I know only use cash for tiny transactions, maybe a few times a month, prefer for everything to be tracked.

Even at our local farmers' market most people use plastic, and of course the SNAP cards most of all.

Won't be too long cash will be viewed with suspicion, then illegal. Already that way for large amounts.

Yea, that's too bad people look at cash as illegal. I still buy big things with cash, and often have to give the bank notice because they don't carry much normally.

Cash works SO WELL, most of the time. Especially when buying cars, boats, toys, meals, junk and women.

I don't want no sinkin records or tracking (unless there's a warranty).

Just watch out the police don't find it while you're in transit. The current administration is supporting the federal loopholes for states that are trying to crack down on rogue PDs.

I never use cash for anything more than tipping dock hands and such except occasionally an artist or craftsman who doesn't accept cards and then only with full detailed receipt. I'm not comfortable carrying large amounts of cash.Someone robs me and they'll get a very small amount of cash and credit cards which will all be cancelled before they can use them.

As to the other side, receiving large amounts of cash, we do look at it with some degree of suspicion and do very carefully check the bills. Very seldom do we encounter purchases of over $10,000 for cash but when we do, we go through all the Form 8300 procedure. We did have one jewelry customer back out of the sale but otherwise no issue, just time consuming. Most who use large amounts of cash know to stay under that threshold.

In a previous life as a manufacturer, we accepted no cash ever and would send those wanting to pay in cash to the bank to buy a bank check.

While we might wonder about the person using cash, that's not our real concern, once proving it's not counterfeit. The concern is that large amounts of cash put our employees at greater risk and also provide temptation. Cash business is difficult to control and manage.

The top rated pizza parlor in Gainesville FL doesn't accept credit cards and has shortage of customers and usually a 30 minute wait for a table.

Very seldom do we encounter purchases of over $10,000 for cash but when we do, we go through all the Form 8300 procedure.
Since the amount will never be COL indexed, in the long term the rule becomes a de-facto ban.

The top rated pizza parlor in Gainesville FL doesn't accept credit cards and has shortage of customers and usually a 30 minute wait for a table.

That always makes me wonder, did they ever? Or did they lose their processing privileges at some point?

That always makes me wonder, did they ever? Or did they lose their processing privileges at some point?

Sorry, I am clueless. It is just one of those cool eclectic hippy joints you find in an old college town. They do have an ATM machine on the premises and claim the ATM fees are donated to charity so they do want to be paid.

It is located fairly close to Mirage Manufacturing of Great Harbour fame.

Last edited:
I could make an argument to NEVER, EVER pay for a meal with a credit card. Fraud is huge. Cash works, and most often exact change works better.

My buddy with his restaurant has a fraud case going on at all times... never ends. But on his end, if he doesn't accept CC, he looses business.

Yep. A lot of waiters, especially in south Florida, have a sideline as card skimmers for the guys who commit wholesale credit card fraud.

I've never actually known what led to compromise of my card. Always stopped it, mostly before any charges other than the $1 authorization or something and one time after just one charge that made no sense at all.

Our stores have been involved in a couple of identity theft investigations since they always had video of the person using the card. In one, the card owner immediately recognized their housekeeper. The other one turned out to be the wife of an employee in a major credit reporting company. Talk about someone with access.

Think too of every time you've ever filled out a credit application. Those then float around in an office, in files open to many. Janitorial service employees have been known to rummage through files in offices.

Really. Cash works well for many of us who boat in remote locations. In international travel the US $100 and $50 bills carry great weight, still today with CC fraudsters running amok. In Canada the $C50s just fly out of my wallet. Cash always works for various transactions in my world. But, for paying most transactions we like CCs so travel miles get added up.

Cash still works for me for day to day small transactions. Yet, prefer most larger and equipment purchases to be plastic. Also, often not near places with needed items on hsnd so internet dhopping is necessary.

Some store and restaurants only take cash, have ATMs right near the cashier.

It's a shame our country (and the world) has so many dishonest people in it. And it hurts all the good people as the govmt wants to know everything about your personal life including the cash you spend.

The only reason govmt wants our info is to get out money, now or in the future. Why do we have to report things that are totally non taxable... same reason.

I could argue for one to be anonymous, as much as can. Keep things out of your personal name and keep a lot profile. And, hard to fight city hall (govt), as they use your money to fight you.

I like cash.

Why do we have to report things that are totally non taxable...

We have to report large amounts of cash exchanges to try to control money laundering and profiteering from drug sales and other illegal activities. I think the requirement to report cash transactions is very good and it has eliminated some of the banks that specialized in working with money laudering and some businesses in the business of money laundering.

The second reason for these laws is that it reduces the huge amounts of taxable transactions done with cash by people avoiding taxes.

Just answering that question. Not getting into the rest of your cash and government issues as you and I obviously sit at opposite ends when it comes to cash transactions. While you may do everything legally and still prefer cash, it's also the preferred way of doing business for those involved in illegal activities.

As a totally separate issue, I don't like carrying large amounts of cash around, prefer not to make myself a target as I'm seen flashing bundles of cash while making payments. I'm not going to carry enough cash while boating to pay $15,000 for fuel or pay a thousand dollar restaurant bill.

Most cash I've ever handled was when the company I worked for had cargo planes and only on rare occasions made runs to Europe for existing customers. There they had to pay cash for fuel which meant carrying over $100,000 cash with them. Made all of us most uncomfortable.

Yes overseas especially developing world a completely different story.

The biggest banks helping move drug money around have learned they're too big to prosecute, just pay some fines and move on.

We have to report large amounts of cash exchanges to try to control money laundering and profiteering from drug sales and other illegal activities. I think the requirement to report cash transactions is very good and it has eliminated some of the banks that specialized in working with money laudering and some businesses in the business of money laundering.

The second reason for these laws is that it reduces the huge amounts of taxable transactions done with cash by people avoiding taxes.

Just answering that question. Not getting into the rest of your cash and government issues as you and I obviously sit at opposite ends when it comes to cash transactions. While you may do everything legally and still prefer cash, it's also the preferred way of doing business for those involved in illegal activities.

As a totally separate issue, I don't like carrying large amounts of cash around, prefer not to make myself a target as I'm seen flashing bundles of cash while making payments. I'm not going to carry enough cash while boating to pay $15,000 for fuel or pay a thousand dollar restaurant bill.

Most cash I've ever handled was when the company I worked for had cargo planes and only on rare occasions made runs to Europe for existing customers. There they had to pay cash for fuel which meant carrying over $100,000 cash with them. Made all of us most uncomfortable.

BandB,

I totally agree with your position and totally understand your responsibilities in business. I'm glad I'm not in business anymore and can do as I please. I could make an argument for big ticket items like houses, big boats, etc., a check is more prudent, and that's fine.

Occasionally cash in hand works a LOT better. There is a big incentive for folks to sell when they see cash. A good example would be as a down payment (with a contract), or buying their equity subject to a loan (as in houses), and it's nice to have that option without folks thinking you are a criminal.

It's too bad that the vast majority of us are paying the price of possibly being labeled a criminal for the actions of very few. And the only answer I can see is must stricter punishment of the offenders.

As for the little things....cash works fine, and often better.

But I can certainly understand your view... just not for everyone.

(BTW, I also worked for an airline that needed cash for fuel purchases out of the country... yea, a bit scary)

Back
Top Bottom