Old 08-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #1

City: Melbourne Fl
Semi displacement list

Hello all. We are a sailing couple, but sold our boat and will be making the switch to trawlers.

We live in florida. We are looking at semi displacement trawlers and would like to be able to achieve 15+ knots in a pinch as we are considering cruising the bahamas in the summer and would like to get out of harms way / return home and also like the flexibility. However will be at trawling speeds the majority of the time. Also will be staying on the hook when cruising.

That leaves semi displacement hull as the option. I am looking to spend in the vicinity of 100k. Twin diesels are a must...aft cabin would be nice but not neccessary - two cabins are a must.

Mainship 350/390 comes to mind.
Tollycraft sundeck 44 comes to mind
Pdq34 powercat ...but Out of price range

Looking to make a list ...any others that belong on this list? Thanks.
seanic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:31 AM   #2

City: Hobe Sound
Vessel Name: Kumatage
Vessel Model: Grnd Bnks 46 cl
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...assic-7997742/

Grand Banks are SD hulls.You won't get 15kts. out of this girl, but I would think 12 is possible. One with 3208 cats will top out at 18.
Steve1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:41 AM   #3
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Our Ocean Alexander 440...aft cabin, sundeck with cockpit. 17-18 knots flat out. Will be for sale toward the end of next summer. A 390 would be within your target price range, but a 44 is a hugely better boat...particularly in the directional stability department.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Bayliner 4087

Bayliner 4087 and 3587. Excellent value, engines with plenty of support and reasonable parts (Cummins), 6 berths, 2 full heads, inclusive inside operating station out of the elements, great cockpit on 4087 (storage, line handling, water activities, extra gear installation under). US construction - think materials/standards. You can run these for a bit more than 2 gph or faster if desired.

See these folks, who put over 4000 hours (sic) on theirs in WA and BC.

https://mvdirona.com/2010/01/bayliner-4087/

You may have to look around a bit to find the condition you want.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Bayliner 4087 and 3587. Excellent value, engines with plenty of support and reasonable parts (Cummins), 6 berths, 2 full heads, inclusive inside operating station out of the elements, great cockpit on 4087 (storage, line handling, water activities, extra gear installation under). US construction - think materials/standards. You can run these for a bit more than 2 gph or faster if desired.

See these folks, who put over 4000 hours (sic) on theirs in WA and BC.

https://mvdirona.com/2010/01/bayliner-4087/

You may have to look around a bit to find the condition you want.
Thanks for the tip - had not even considered these...
Old 08-07-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
The Bayliner 4087 is a planing hull. Same general category as Carver, Cruisers, etc. I believe Mainship are as well.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: South Ogden
I have heard from a few that a cored hull may be less than ideal, what with the coral heads.

Here are some that meet your criteria.

https://www.hatterasowners.com/Broch...LRArchives.htm
https://www.hatterasowners.com/Broch...YFArchives.htm
https://www.hatterasowners.com/Broch...MYArchives.htm
https://www.hatterasowners.com/Broch...LRArchives.htm
https://www.hatterasowners.com/Broch...DCArchives.htm

As long as they don't have 6-71N's, they'll all do more than 15kts. If it matters to you, you can call Hatteras with the hull number, and they'll sell you the complete engineering documentation they have (wiring and plumbing layout and diagrams, layup schedule, stringer/hardpoint locations, ect). Sam's Marine has a warehouse full of NOS OEM and reproduction parts, and the Hatteras factory is in New Bern, NC if that's of any importance. Finally, no coring below the waterline. I'm not sure about these boats, but the 50'+ boats have about an inch to inch and a half of solid glass below the waterline with something like 3" up at the bow.
LandlockedInUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:20 AM   #8

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
The Nordic Tugs are semi-displacement hulls. My 2006 NT32 is powered by a single Cummins 6BTA 270 HP engine. I normally cruise at 8-9 knots, but boat has a top-end (wide open throttle) of 18 knots. I just topped off my fuel tank, and my average fuel burn for the 17 years I've owned the boat is... 1.8 GPH.
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:05 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Semi-displacement includes almost all of the boats on TF. Eighteen to 20 knots is “wind in the face” fuel gulping speed.

Are you really looking for planing boats that look like trawlers?

There are a lot of boats that have wonderful SD hulls but requiring to plane 4% of the time means you may really need a FD hulled boat. Very few on this forum. Have you considered getting a FD boat and paying more attention to the weather? Weather reporting has become so good you almost can’t miss. As to seaworthyness there’s a negative side to both planing and FD.

I ran my FD trawler for many years in BC and SE Alaska and was amazed at how few times we anchored or re-routed to avoid strong currents. But for many having the boat ability to beat the current is an emotional plus.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Semi-displacement includes almost all of the boats on TF. Eighteen to 20 knots is “wind in the face” fuel gulping speed.

Are you really looking for planing boats that look like trawlers?

There are a lot of boats that have wonderful SD hulls but requiring to plane 4% of the time means you may really need a FD hulled boat. Very few on this forum. Have you considered getting a FD boat and paying more attention to the weather? Weather reporting has become so good you almost can’t miss. As to seaworthyness there’s a negative side to both planing and FD.

I ran my FD trawler for many years in BC and SE Alaska and was amazed at how few times we anchored or re-routed to avoid strong currents. But for many having the boat ability to beat the current is an emotional plus.
Hurricane season in summer... Wanting to do Bahamas and having the ability to 'run' home is part of my requirements.

The Nordic is out because single engine.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:26 PM   #11
Guru

seanic route,
Could you find a temporary boat slip, fly home for a week or so and back when the weather permits? That’s what some folks in Alaska do.

I agree re the single engine. But been many places in SE Ak.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:27 PM   #12
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Many “trawler” style boats are on a spectrum between SD and FD. Our Helmsman hull has many physical characteristics of FD, but it’s not. It’s on the sliding scale between FD and SD, and probably closer to FD IMO.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:09 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Size Range: 39 - 44
Cruise Speed: 15 kts
Price Range: $100K

That is going to be a tough combination of variables to meet. You're either going to get older, slower, or smaller.
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:55 PM   #14
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Being in the Bahamas and expecting to run home at 15 knots or so to CONUS to avoid approaching hurricanes may be a bit of a fantasy. Consider that the tracks of hurricanes are erratic and their development is often uncertain resulting in dithering about the big decision to run at which point winds hundreds of miles ahead of the storm will have whipped up sea conditions prohibiting driving a 40-ish foot boat through them without wrecking the boat and or its occupants. Heck, even a normal day out there can prohibit running at high speed and reducing the boat speed to displacement speeds. It's pretty big premium to pay for the capability to go 15 knots all day long.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Antigua
There are plenty of Bayliner 3870/3888/3818’s around.

They are semi-displacement and have a great layout.

You’d get a great example for your budget and enough left over to pay for a couple of years of fuel.
Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #16
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
American tug, 34 or 41. Difficult to find but they are out there.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:25 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Many “trawler” style boats are on a spectrum between SD and FD. Our Helmsman hull has many physical characteristics of FD, but it’s not. It’s on the sliding scale between FD and SD, and probably closer to FD IMO.
Fletcher I’m not sure as I’m not that familiar w the Helmsman hull. I am familiar w the Camano 31 hull tho and it’s a planing hull. No doubt. They make over20 knots w a 200hp Volvo.
I suspect the Helmsman 38 is very similar. That should make it as a fast SD. But it’s only a guess based on the Camano hull. How does the H38 compare w the Camano 41? It’s a high speed SD much like the C31. The 41 is a shallow draft boat and light because of it. I read in a magazine it was quite efficient making good speed w only 2gph burn.
I suspect the Helmsman is heavier and they appear quite beamy.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Post Falls, ID
Vessel Name: Amadeus
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 55
I just this week bought an Elling E6 to replace our 58’ Diesel Duck. It’s an incredible machine. Currently cruising in the Netherlands before heading to the Med next year..
Retired CEO, Triton Submarines LLC
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #19
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome into the light. Maine built lobster yachts fit your speed requirements and look great!
Attached Thumbnails
2ECEE9B4-FC0C-49C8-8716-F91FC9E0B811.jpg  
Old 08-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: West River
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Shannon Downeast 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Welcome into the light. Maine built lobster yachts fit your speed requirements and look great!
My thoughts exactly. We're running our Royal Lowell designed Shannon Downeast 36 from the Chesapeake to Maine. We're currently in Camden. Cruise all day @ 9 kts burning 5gph. Ran Atlantic City to NYC at 14kts burning 12gph. Single 350 Cat 3116. Twin screw is OK but overrated, IMO. More points of failure and more gph.
Avalon36 is offline   Reply With Quote