self-insured anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SV outside the US my experience suggests it’s commonly required. Usual trip in is to clear then go to marina office and present insurance face sheet.

My experience with modern wood built construction is if there isn't great attention to detail in dead spots inside the hull, rot forms as much if not more than well thought out old school woodies.

The hulls are mostly great, but neglect airflow throughout the interior without full encapsulation with resin and it can be disastrous in a few years.

....The coastguard over here gets much of its funding with raffle tickets and donations:facepalm:
In NSW State a small levy is added to licensing fees for our volunteer "coastguard' here called "Marine Rescue", largely helps with buying major equipment, like new boats. It`s a volunteer organization, quite different to the US Coastguard which I think performs Govt functions.
A Marine Rescue catamaran tore past us at speed today, with flashing lights on! Ch16 calls are often heard on the radio, including for their log on/log off service for offshore passages.

They also fund raise, one of our marina neighbors volunteers at MR and sold us a detailed laminated "chart" of the Hawkesbury/Broken Bay. They are adept at extracting "donations" from people they help. But with no private towing or assistance provider to join, they perform a valuable function, even if some unkind people call them "Dad`s Navy" after the British comedy "Dad`s Army".

I’ll bet that if Dads Navy pulls someone out of the water they don’t disparage them anymore…

I’ll bet that if Dads Navy pulls someone out of the water they don’t disparage them anymore…
No, and most people happily make a donation. The log on /log off service they run covers boats transiting the coast, you log on and nominate a log off time. If you don`t log off as planned or contact them, they contact you. There can even be an intermediate check in time. For want of anyone else we once reported a distressed penguin in the Harbour, turns out they had several calls about it and referred it to the zoo.
I don`t mind one bit paying a levy on licenses etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom