Selene Search Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OPUS

Vessel Name
Opus
Vessel Make
44 Tiara Sovran
After passing on the Washington based Selene salvage bidding process the Trawler search continues. We are particularly interested in the Selene 53 which seems to provide a high degree of sea worthiness at a reasonable price point compared to Nordhvns and Kk’s. We recently looked at a very nice 2003 that is yet to come on the market. She was a well cared for and had received numerous upgrades under the present owners care.

Here is my BIG concern as we begin retirement and contemplate the purchase of our live aboard home for the next 10-15 Years. She has steel (Mild?) fuel/water/holding tanks. After researching and reading threads on this sight I have decided that it is preferable not to be the owner who has to deal with tank replacement issues.

So I have 2 questions;
1. When did Selene move away from steel tanks on the 53. I posted on their user site but so far the feedback is not concise
2. Am I wrong about not wanting to be the owner dealing with tank issues 10 years from now?

I don't want to own a boat with steel tanks. That said, most of the rust issues are external. Knowing how the tank was coated, mounted, protected from leaks around the fill pipe, and how common tank failure is on those boats, would help determine whether I would own one.

I have a 1975 Bruno and Stillman charter boat that I had to replace the deck on in 2005. Just figured the steel tank would be badly rusted inside or outside. Had a new one made that was 40% larger and tore the old deck off. The old tank had a few specks of rust outside and was perfect inside.

If I was going to buy an older boat with steel tanks, both the inside and the outside would have to be inspectable with atleast a remote camera.

Ted

I would go the Seleneowners.org website.
Our 1999 Selene 47 came with aluminum fuel tanks and stainless water tanks, so I find it hard to believe they actually built any boats with "steel" tanks. Perhaps a listing broker error?

We looked at a couple 53s. I found this in my files:

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpeg
    IMG_0487.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 62
Thanks everyone for the info

According to the owner of the 53 we walked on which is not listed a listed brokerage sale the tanks were steel. It’s interesting that other boats of similar age had both aluminum and frp tanks. Everything I have read on this site is pretty negative about even the best surveyors ability to inspect fuel tanks even with a scope. Selene’s lack of consistency in their builds is an issue for me.
I have been to thei website and could not find info besides pictures on previous models. I have written to them on the subject with no response.
I hope to see the New Bern based 53 a week from Saturday.

Still having difficulty believing the "steel" tank story. Tanks on our Selene were quite accessible for inspection with large top access and side ports. Since our boat was a 1999, can only assume things got better - not worse! Hard to see why any new owner would specify "steel"unless in a steel vessel. But, confirming steel, aluminum or FG should be very easy. Steel is magnetic vs aluminum and FG does not look like or sound like aluminum.

Ours is a 2004 model with FRP tanks.

Luke Brown has a 2006 53 listed. Check out those specs for tank building material. Back in the day, Selene was called Solo. Several build processes were used when they started up. Some Solo owners have installed Selene metal name plates.

Still having difficulty believing the "steel" tank story. Tanks on our Selene were quite accessible for inspection with large top access and side ports. Since our boat was a 1999, can only assume things got better - not worse! Hard to see why any new owner would specify "steel"unless in a steel vessel. But, confirming steel, aluminum or FG should be very easy. Steel is magnetic vs aluminum and FG does not look like or sound like aluminum.

I confirmed with the owners that the fuel tanks are steel. The holding and water tanks are SS. The tank fill inlets are inboard located in the aft gunnels and are well protected. Both tanks have large inspection hatches. The challenges of inspecting tanks are well documented on this site especially by a surveyor as part of a purchase agreement.

So I’m thinking about buying a 17 year old boat on which we plan to live for the next 10-15 years. Even if well maintained I’m concerned that their useful life will be exceeded during our ownership

Frankly, I am shocked that Selene went backwards by installing steel fuel tanks. As previous, our 1999 Selene (Solo) 47 had aluminum tanks, so why on earth would they revert to steel? Equally surprised by the use of a stainless holding tank. That seems like a bi no no as well. Our 1999 version was definitely fiberglass. Can only surmise that the original owner specifically chose those materials out of ignorance.

Back
Top Bottom