Selene or nordhavn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vote

If you do broaden the search, take a look at North Pacific. I found you get a little more boat for your buck and if you are not planning ocean crossings, it it a great option. I just went San Diego-Seattle and found the NP45 a nice ride in rather large seas. Full beam salon and twin heads with a tall pilot house.

https://northpacificyachts.com/boats/45-pilothouse

Since you live in the San Juans you may be interested in the You Tube channel "MV Freedom". It is done by a couple that also were looking at Selene's vs Nordhavn's and eventually chose the Nordhavn. This video explains their thought process.

They currently live in Shilshole and are planning to travel down the west coast, through the Panama Canal and eventually to Europe.

You can experience a bit of ownership by watching their videos. Shawn is an engineer and loves to show how to do maintenance and repair things. There is also a lot on shipboard activities.

Love my 45. Also, they come equipped with almost everything to cruise, electronics, thruster, generator, davit crane etc. top quality components as well.

Very happy with our NP45 as well. We're still in the shakedown phase, knocking out some bugs. But we've got around 80 hours of very comfortable cruising now. Some high-level differences from when we were searching.

1. The NP is not really a Blue Water boat. Out of the gate, it's not going to have the same level of redundancy and all-around toughness of the Nordhaven. Even after upgrades, the Nordhaven's are just built for the ocean. However, that creates some tradeoffs. The NP, however, is great for very comfortable coastal cruising.

2. The NP will have a much larger salon than the Selene, since it's full-beam.

3. The fit and finish of the Selenes is very nice, but in recent years the NPs are catching up. In an older model, the Selene will feel more luxurious.

Given only those two choices, I'd choose the Selene as I think it better addresses creature comforts.

Another vote for North Pacific 45!

Rob

Another vote for North Pacific 45!

Rob

Wifey B: You really struggled with multiple choice quizzes, didn't you? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Always kids who will write in an answer which when tests are scored by Scantron, doesn't work.

Yes the 45 but not the 43 caught our eye. Seems a well made boat. Like at least 10% reserve so ~1100nm range. Few available but will crawl around one if an appropriately spec’d one becomes available. Thank you for bringing it up.

Wifey B:
It may have been me who started the departure from the strictly multiple choice exam in question:
"If you have your heart set on these two brands only, and are looking for a well maintained boat (and I feel that is critical), you may have to be very, very patient in this market to find a good example to purchase without having to go far afield (which adds all kinds of extra expenses and complications, esp. during a pandemic)."
Hence the other suggestions. If the OP is "set" on these 2 brands only, then waiting MAY be required for a good one to come on the market, and then, quick movement might also be required. If the OP is open to other ideas, he/she may be able to find a "suitable" boat sooner, hence the suggestions. :)
Currently I see 1 Selene and 3 Nordhavn's for sale on the west coast of US. I know you understand, just saying...

Last edited:
We live up in the San Juan islands in Washington state. We are looking for a trawler, located preference west coast but will to consider further away.
43 selene ( 1st choice) 2001 to 2004 +-
35 to 40 nordhavn 2000 to 2003 +-

dp608guy@aol.com

I have been in the business on the boat building and repairing side for a long time and am here in the Anacortes area if you would like to discuss this. I have a lot of inside knowledge on both brands.

I have a lot of experience regarding trawlers from both the building as well as repairing side. I live in Anacortes and would like to sit down with you for a bit and let you know what i have learned working with both of these companies.

I have a lot of experience regarding trawlers from both the building as well as repairing side. I live in Anacortes and would like to sit down with you for a bit and let you know what i have learned working with both of these companies.

What is your current profession as you talk about sitting down with him, sounds like you're selling something. Just asking.

I am retired and my services for that are free. i have helped a lot of people over the years doing just that

Wifey B: You really struggled with multiple choice quizzes, didn't you? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Always kids who will write in an answer which when tests are scored by Scantron, doesn't work.

?

Rob

Yes the 45 but not the 43 caught our eye. Seems a well made boat. Like at least 10% reserve so ~1100nm range. Few available but will crawl around one if an appropriately spec’d one becomes available. Thank you for bringing it up.

Hippocampus,

I would be happy to show you ours if you have not been on one. We are on the hard for the winter but still easy to show. Boat is in Groton, CT about two hours south of you.

Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom