Selene 53 vs Alaskan 56

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rawlitwn

Hi all,

We are now both retired, time to sell the Mainship 400 and go larger. Considering either a Selene 53 or an Alaskan 56. Anyone have an opinion between the two? We plan to live-aboard 6-8 months a year, cruise the east coast.... I am particularly interested in getting more info on the Alaskan, not much out there.....two 2006's now on the market....pros and cons to both on layout, come to realize there is no perfect boat.

Many thanks,

T.G.
Soggy Dollars
Milford CT

I have the Grand Alaskan 53, 2002 model. Love her. Quality finishing throughout, etc. I also looked at a couple of Selenes, and they are also of great quality. You won't go wrong with either.

One question you are going to have to answer - do you want a single or twins?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, open to either single or twin.... I would still want a bow and stern thruster on both (have that now on my single Mainship). We are happy at 8-9 knots. Not many Selene's have twins....If I may, what made you go with the Alaskan? Is there an Alaskan forum site?

As best I recall the Grand Alaskan is a DeFever design whereas the Alaskan is a Grand Banks. The later models of the GB Alaskan were called the GB Aleutian. All three are very different vessels.

Thanks for the reply, open to either single or twin.... I would still want a bow and stern thruster on both (have that now on my single Mainship). We are happy at 8-9 knots. Not many Selene's have twins....If I may, what made you go with the Alaskan? Is there an Alaskan forum site?

Actually, many of the 53-55 Selene’s have dual mains. Most of them appear to be on the east coast. The majority of same size Selene’s in the PNW are single mains.

Me personally, I’m partial to the single main, less maintenance, more engine room space and larger fuel capacity.

Hope that helps.

As best I recall the Grand Alaskan is a DeFever design whereas the Alaskan is a Grand Banks. The later models of the GB Alaskan were called the GB Aleutian. All three are very different vessels.

Nope.

The original Grand Alaskans were DeFever designed. Then Grand Banks sued Oviatt to get them to stop using the Grand Alaskan name as they said it confused consumers versus the Grand Banks Alaskan.

Given that you cannot trade mark and register and protect a common word such as Alaskan, Grand Alaskan dropped the Grand and went with just Alaskan.

So the Alaskan and the Grand Banks Alaskan are two completely different vessels.

Because the one I looked at had twin Luggers!

Question

Your asking about two completely different thought processes for their design type boats -- so need to know how you will use her ? (Besides as live aboard).

What kind of fuel usage are you looking to have, or is that even a concern for you ?

Do you plan to cross oceans, or just always a coastal cruiser ?

Boat speed your looking for ? you said fine with 8 or 9 knots, but that does not mean you don't want 12 or 14 knots at some times.

A boat that is a great live aboard is not necessarily the best for open ocean long range travel.

Both are fine boats in their own ways.

Good Luck.

Alfa Mike

So the Alaskan and the Grand Banks Alaskan are two completely different vessels.

We are saying the same thing. As I'm sure you have, I've been on both branded vessels.

The question for the OP, are you referring to a Grand Alaskan made in the 2000s? If so, they are a marvelous vessel if (engine, heaters, AC) equipped correctly. They were built at the Tania yard in Taiwan, one of the best Chinese yards.

Even with twins, the ER space is much better than a similar sized Selene. Personally I'd much rather have two small twins vs one big Cummins, especially given the GAs layout. BTW, there is a nice looking DeFever 56 listed in South Carolina. It is very similar to the GA.

Last edited:
Hi Again,

There is listing for a 56 (below) that just says "Alaskan".

My preference is a Selene 53, but only few available and none have the layout I want. I would consider the Alaskan (with the bigger engines), just not sure about the company's build quality was compared to the Selene during 2003-2009 time period.

I had looked at the Defever 56, nice boat, but has no stabilizers....

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...tates?refSource=standard listing#.W6gt3CIT-M8

Selene is still in business. To me that is a huge plus and would be the factor that would determine my choice between the two.

By the way you can "try before you buy" via chartering a 53 Selene from Chitwood Charters in Sarasota.

Hi Again,

There is listing for a 56 (below) that just says "Alaskan".

My preference is a Selene 53, but only few available and none have the layout I want. I would consider the Alaskan (with the bigger engines), just not sure about the company's build quality was compared to the Selene during 2003-2009 time period.

I had looked at the Defever 56, nice boat, but has no stabilizers....

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...tates?refSource=standard listing#.W6gt3CIT-M8

About 15 years ago a number (6 to 10?) of FRP hulls were made based upon a design by Art DeFever. Various US yards took these hulls and built them to client specs. The lengths varied, normally around 60 feet plus or minus. They were called Alaskans in all cases I know of. Fit and finish were quite high and layouts varied.

The 56 DeFever without stabilizers seems pretty nice otherwise. I have priced out stabilizers for that specific vessel. We are awaiting information on a West Coast vessel so have cooled our jets. The 56 is very well laid out and finished. Worth a look if down that way.

Right you are Menzies. Peter Whiting who has posted on TF could add some insight to the latest re-incarnation of the Alaskan brand. He is a real pro and fine gentleman.

You are right, Peter is a good man. Seattle Yachts has announced two new models of Alaskan Yachts at this time; the 66 Mk II and the 57 Mk II. The 66 will be built first.

Usually there is a big difference between someone buying the brand vs buying the company..

So are they are providing support for the old models... schematics, parts lists, drawings, electrical diagrams, owners manuals etc etc?

Here's the thing. Apart from the hull and woodwork, everything on a boat is manufactured by a third party. Whether the boat manufacturer is in business or not is mostly immaterial IMO.

Here's the thing. Apart from the hull and woodwork, everything on a boat is manufactured by a third party. Whether the boat manufacturer is in business or not is mostly immaterial IMO.

Not sure how many boat companies actually own the shipyard that builds them. Nordic Tug and American Tug are two that I can think of around here. Many companies contract with yards to build their boats.

Not sure how many boat companies actually own the shipyard that builds them. Nordic Tug and American Tug are two that I can think of around here. Many companies contract with yards to build their boats.

And Grand Banks/Palm Beach Motor Yachts. They own both the yard in Malaysia and the one in Australia. Although not in the PNW :)

Most of the European brands of motor yachts also own and build in their own facilities.

No, that's not "the thing" at all. "The thing" is the ability to support owners of the boats per all the items I listed. Look how many threads we have here of owners of no longer supported brands looking for all that information.

I was so grateful I bought a Hatteras for those very reasons. Between the factory and the spin off of the parts department (Sam's Marine) I had support for a 30 year old boat that was virtually equal to a new boat.

No, that's not "the thing" at all. "The thing" is the ability to support owners of the boats per all the items I listed. Look how many threads we have here of owners of no longer supported brands looking for all that information.

I was so grateful I bought a Hatteras for those very reasons. Between the factory and the spin off of the parts department (Sam's Marine) I had support for a 30 year old boat that was virtually equal to a new boat.

Again, I disagree. The things you mentioned are useful, "schematics, parts lists, drawings, electrical diagrams, owners manuals etc etc." but any decent electronics guy, wiring guy, mechanic, hands-on owner can work those things out in a couple of hours. Not having access to those things should never stop a prospective buyer from buying a boat.

Some truth to that. I now own a Little Harbor 36 WhisperJet - purchased for well under $100k. I’m happy, knew what I was getting into (Kevlar in your laminate anyone?) but they’re gone. Maybe if you have Ted’s “Through Eye and Hand” you’ll run into them. But the company that bought them out (and closed them down) sells at a bit of a premium. Hinckley.

Here’s my take.
No matter who originally built the boat, if the owner/owners didn’t maintain or upgrade it, its gonna cost a ton of boat bucks to get her sea worthy again.
In my travels, Ive seen so many well made boats go to hell. I take pride in my boat and try to treat her as best as I can, and yes, that requires spending money.
The owners that take pride in there baby shows, but they use it.
So, when shopping for your dream, wouldn’t it be nice if you could go back a few months or years and actually look at her, before it goes on the market?

Selene vs, Grand Alaskan

Dear TG:

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic or like a used car salesman, I believe no one knows more about Selenes than myself including Howard Chen. Beginning in 1998 when I was Ted Hood's General Manager, we got involved with these boats. The early boats were disasters. I personally helped with the design, engineering and construction. Many of the drawings were done in Rhode Island with Jet-Tern's title box. I was at Jet-Tern every three or four weeks for many years and generally left an expert in a different trade from our yard in the interim. Over time, the boats improved and we took substantial market share from Nordhavn, Kadey-Krogen and others. I attended MIT for a Masters in Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture, have held a Merchant License for nearly 40 years and have supervised the design and construction of all sorts of yachts.

As an important part of our business is yacht brokerage, we have helped a number of our clients also purchase Grand Alaskans in the past. In our experience their boats vary significantly according to the original buyer's requirements, due diligence and the financial health of the distributor.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss in greater detail and review your requirements off line or on the phone. We will also be exhibiting at Baltimore Trawler Fest and I will be a featured speaker this week.

John Clayman

John, were those "early boats..." Solos?

As an important part of our business is yacht brokerage, we have helped a number of our clients also purchase Grand Alaskans in the past. In our experience their boats vary significantly according to the original buyer's requirements, due diligence and the financial health of the distributor.

John Clayman

John

Great to see you here. Keep an eye on us fledglings.

One nice thing about the GAs and DeFevers - ER space. But not everything about them is even close to perfect. Remembering of course they are largely 20+ year old designs.

On point, hopefully, I remain mystified as to why Selene designs:
- Do not have ERs that are more spacious,
- largely free of access hazards,
- less intrusive fuel tank design
- and with lesser powered and size wise smaller engines.

These were most of issues that kept us from buying a new deep design Selene 58 a couple of years ago. Once out of the ER, we loved the vessel.

2004 Selene

I have a Selene 53’ that is larger than what we need. A Mainship would suit us better if your interested in working a deal. It is in Morehead City NC. The condition is top notch and recently bottom painted. The Bow/Stern Thrusters, electronics, Cummins single, Yanmar wing engines, etc. Let me know if your interested. John

The boats are the same overall length as I recall. We bought Selene after sea trialing both. Much better in our opinion.

JSBRAGA - Selene 53?

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread...
Greetings JSBRAGA. Are you looking for something a little smaller? I'm possibly looking for a Selene 53. My email: yahtng@ail.com

Back
Top Bottom