Seeking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iflypby

As a former live aboard sailor moving into retirement, my wife and I are starting to look at trawler type vessels. When I moved off the sailboat, I said that I would not have another boat that was not big enough to have a bath tub. Sailors can probably relate to that. Tired of living at the bottom of a “V”.
I have narrowed down my need or maybe wish list to several issues. First I need at least one queen size walk around bed for guests. Most of our friends are in their late 60’s so climbing into high or stacked “V” berths is a no-go. Same for the master. Each berthing area should have a full ensuite head for privacy.
Twin engine is preferred. As we will normally sail short handed, a bow thruster would be nice. Never had an issue with the sailboat but I am getting older and much more lazy.
Flybridge, as 50% of our cruising will be in the Bahama’s as we live in South Florida, I believe it would make life much easier to read the waters.
Stabilizers, wife will not put up with the rock and roll anymore. Happy wife, we keep the boat.
Ladders, old hips and knees make stairs rather than ladders a necessity. This would be for flybridge access also.
Stand-up headroom in the engineering space. See old knees and hips above.
Electronics, still pretty good at navigation with a sextant but got used to the electronic flight deck in my past life. Chart plotter with GPS and a good depth finder would sure supplement an RDF and lead line.
Washer and dryer, again, Happy wife............
It looks like most of these requirements can be found in a reasonably cared for 49 to 54 semi or full displacement trawler for somewhere under $350K.
Am I being realistic with my expectation? Should I look for less or more?
Merry Christmas,
Ron

I applaud every aspect of your thoughts. You've done an excellent job of separating today's needs and desires from yesteryears. Sometimes it's difficult for people, especially former sailors, to say creature comforts are important to them. I think you are right on target and the boat you're talking about will serve the two of you for as long as possible. It will allow you to boat longer and with more pleasure than one not fitting what you've outlined.

You still aren't likely to get your bathtub, but nice sized showers, and although not many seen on boats that size, there is nothing preventing you from adding a small hot tub on the bridge.

Look forward to reading as you search.

Standup headroom in engine room

As a former live aboard sailor moving into retirement, my wife and I are starting to look at trawler type vessels. When I moved off the sailboat, I said that I would not have another boat that was not big enough to have a bath tub. Sailors can probably relate to that. Tired of living at the bottom of a “V”.
I have narrowed down my need or maybe wish list to several issues. First I need at least one queen size walk around bed for guests. Most of our friends are in their late 60’s so climbing into high or stacked “V” berths is a no-go. Same for the master. Each berthing area should have a full ensuite head for privacy.
Twin engine is preferred. As we will normally sail short handed, a bow thruster would be nice. Never had an issue with the sailboat but I am getting older and much more lazy.
Flybridge, as 50% of our cruising will be in the Bahama’s as we live in South Florida, I believe it would make life much easier to read the waters.
Stabilizers, wife will not put up with the rock and roll anymore. Happy wife, we keep the boat.
Ladders, old hips and knees make stairs rather than ladders a necessity. This would be for flybridge access also.
Electronics, still pretty good at navigation with a sextant but got used to the electronic flight deck in my past life. Chart plotter with GPS and a good depth finder would sure supplement an RDF and lead line.
It looks like most of these requirements can be found in a reasonably cared for 49 to 54 semi or full displacement trawler for somewhere under $350K.
Merry Christmas,
Ron

Probably narrows the search to defevers, in the size you are looking for.

First of all welcome aboard.
Then next advice would be to think about your budget and make a search on yachtworld or any other site like boats.com with you budget and boats between 45 feet and infinite to have some example of what you will be able to find
So many brands and boats layout out there that it makes the options plenty.

L

Last edited:
You didn’t say how old or what condition. You are very realistic if looking at nice 30 year old boat. Going to be difficult if looking for a nice 10 year old boat. Look at Ocean Alexander 54 both mkI and 546. No bathtub.

Probably narrows the search to defevers, in the size you are looking for.

Everything on the list is available on a Defever 44 or 49 except the walk around berth in the forward cabin and the tub. For the walk around berth you’ll have to go to a Defever 45 or 50, which offers it as an option. I’ve never seen a 45 (not sure if any have been made) so that leaves a 50. The problem will be finding one in the budget, since they’ve only been building them for a few years.

Ours has a king in the aft stateroom and a walk around in the forward cabin. We much prefer it to a V berth.

I think that a Defever 53 POC will have everything you are looking for.

If you are retired and living aboard you shouldnt really have time constraints.
You can sit back, have a few adult beverages and enjoy that anchorage while waiting for some better weather.

2 years living aboard on the hook doing around 500nm/mth and as yet to be in weather where we wished we had stabilizers and the upside is we never had the added maintenance cost drag and fuel burn that comes with them.

We have had to change course slightly and tack to avoid roll, but never more than a couple of hours of that and, we have noticed considerably better ride with more weight/full tanks.
Larger heavier boat is good.

Flopper stoppers on the other hand are something we will be putting on, roll at anchor is rare, but has been annoying enough to have chased us from an otherwise ideal anchorage to another anchorage 100+ nm away to get out of it after several days/nights of little sleep.
Most stabilizers won't address this problem.

Of course the above is what works for us - different strokes for different folks and boats.

Marine trader 36ft sun deck! Has everything you are looking for even the bathtub. Unfortunately my boat is not for sale! ��

The large stacked bunks in our DeFever 48 guest area are easy for our guests to access. Even those in their 60s and 70s. Our rationale is that if guests are not suitably ambulatory to negotiate the bunks then they aren't cruising partner candidates.

Many high end long distance trawlers do not have a walk around for guests. For your cruising style don't forget range and tankage, water maker, good electrical setup, current instruments and well maintained. Walk the docks, find a seaworthy vessel that works for you and your wife and if the guests aren't happy bunk them ashore.

I always wondered about why V berths on trawlers. My 40' Shucker had the head in the bow with the shower all the way forward and two Queen staterooms aft. Biggest shower I've seen on anything but 65' and up. My next boat will get a remodel, guest head forward, single bunks either side stern of that.

Our shower also has a nice seat. Not a bathtub, but comfortable enough... :)

-Chris

The shower in my bathroom growing up had one as did all the showers in our house. It cost very little when built and sure was thinking ahead. Don't have a seat in any of the boat showers though or in my home today. Hadn't thought about how nice it would be until you posted this.

Merry Christmas,
Ron

A trawler with your requirements will probably need to be 50' or more and used. Do you have an age requirement for the boat? Your answer to that question will answer your question regarding whether you're being realistic.

For instance, I wanted a 45' to 50' trawler with air conditioning, stabilizers, bow & stern thrusters and no older than 2010 for $500k or less. I looked for about a year and couldn't find anything with all of my requirements or if I did someone already made an offer on it. But I was limiting my search to Defever, Selene, Northwestern, Ocean Alexander and Nordhavn. I ended up with a North Pacific but had to pay more and settle for no stabilizers. You have a lower budget and more requirements than I did but if you are OK with going older and include other models you can do it.

Best of Luck!

We plan on paying cash for the vessel so a well founded 1980 or newer is the target. From the forums, the mid 80’s and later boats seem to have fewer blister/gel coat issues. I fell in love with the DeFever 49 RPH and researched it for the last several years. The wife and I had the chance to inspect one and the forward stacked “V” berth, washer and dryer location in the lazerrett and low height in the engine room were eye opening. A shipwright could modify the forward berth but the rest were problematic. The wife said that doing the laundry on her knees was a non starter. I would do the laundry myself but I feel the same. I like the 52/53/57 DeFever’s and the Hatt’s of the same vintage and length but the ladders on the Hatt to access the flybridge seem to be less friendly for older body parts.
In my original post, I left out one of my wishes. Walk around side decks for ease of dock line handling and bumper deployment.
My experience with automobile and aircraft restoration leads me to seek a vessel that meets most of my requirements that a previous owner has spent wisely and lavishly on and is ready to get out from under the damn thing. You rarely get the money spent on a restoration back, probably lucky to get back 25%. Cash usually talks loudest once you come to grips with the situation and become determined to cut your loss’s. I have been on both ends of these deals. Someday I hope to make it up in volume. My view is that I have never been shafted on a deal I did not do. You miss a few deals but there is always another owner that wants to get out.
Merry Christmas to all!
Ron

We plan on paying cash for the vessel so a well founded 1980 or newer is the target. From the forums, the mid 80’s and later boats seem to have fewer blister/gel coat issues. I fell in love with the DeFever 49 RPH and researched it for the last several years. The wife and I had the chance to inspect one and the forward stacked “V” berth, washer and dryer location in the lazerrett and low height in the engine room were eye opening. A shipwright could modify the forward berth but the rest were problematic. The wife said that doing the laundry on her knees was a non starter. I would do the laundry myself but I feel the same. I like the 52/53/57 DeFever’s and the Hatt’s of the same vintage and length but the ladders on the Hatt to access the flybridge seem to be less friendly for older body parts.
In my original post, I left out one of my wishes. Walk around side decks for ease of dock line handling and bumper deployment.
My experience with automobile and aircraft restoration leads me to seek a vessel that meets most of my requirements that a previous owner has spent wisely and lavishly on and is ready to get out from under the damn thing. You rarely get the money spent on a restoration back, probably lucky to get back 25%. Cash usually talks loudest once you come to grips with the situation and become determined to cut your loss’s. I have been on both ends of these deals. Someday I hope to make it up in volume. My view is that I have never been shafted on a deal I did not do. You miss a few deals but there is always another owner that wants to get out.
Merry Christmas to all!
Ron

Ron,

I'd go with the Defever 49 and get a washer/dryer combo and move it in to a closet. Is that doable? I love the Defevers. A lot of good boat for the money. Very seaworthy. Probably go anywhere in it. Walk around decks, Portugese bridge, high freeboard, great galley and solon, big boat, heavy, well built. For $350 cash you could probably get in in the 90's near 2000's. Probably your best buy!

You can’t go wrong with a Defever. I️ think you will be very happy.

The wife likes the POC’s ability to run for cover if need be. The 57 with it’s optional day head and dedicated laundry spaces are interesting. With this logic I could be in the poor house with a 68 before it is over! On another subject, but along with things to consider with an older vessel, what is considered to be the service life of a marine diesel? Getting the engine block out of some of these trawlers must be a massive chore. Kind of like a boat built in a basement. Is there a number of years that is considered the maximum before a diesel needs rebuild not with standing the hours of operation?
Regards,
Ron

On another subject, but along with things to consider with an older vessel, what is considered to be the service life of a marine diesel? Getting the engine block out of some of these trawlers must be a massive chore. Kind of like a boat built in a basement. Is there a number of years that is considered the maximum before a diesel needs rebuild not with standing the hours of operation?

Years of life is not considered too relevant. Hours of operation/use is what is normally the standard longevity is judged by. Most well maintained marine diesels will last 10,000-20,000 hours between overhauls. What fails more than the engines are the marinization components and they too need to be properly inspected and maintained..

iflyby,

Please get the boat surveyed! It was suggested to me to get my new boat surveyed. This will be my second new boat. After all the issues I had on my previous new boat I will definitely get it surveyed and give the list to the maker and I'm sure there will be a list.

"This will be my second new boat. After all the issues I had on my previous new boat I will definitely get it surveyed and give the list to the maker and I'm sure there will be a list. __________________"

If the dealer will accept the contract , its best to hold back 10% of the purchase price till AFTER a new boat is surveyed and repaired.

As 10% of sales price is about half of a boat dealers profit , your boat gets priority in the repair dept.

Remember, if you make your guest too comfortable they might never leave.
Guest do have a habit of eating and if the food is free and the bed is comfortable, well you get the idea.

I've lived in some pretty neat places in my life, NEVER tell anyone where your going, ha.

My 52’ Choey Lee has everything you are looking for except the stabilizers. But they are available with stabilizers in the price range OP is looking for. True stand up engine room and separate laundry area. I can walk anywhere on my boat without ducking my head. Except the lazarette.

Just delivered an ‘88, 44’ DeFever this month. My back was killing me by the end of the delivery. Spent a lot of time in the Machinery Spaces and they are not even close to true stand up heights. My observation.

"This will be my second new boat. After all the issues I had on my previous new boat I will definitely get it surveyed and give the list to the maker and I'm sure there will be a list. __________________"

If the dealer will accept the contract , its best to hold back 10% of the purchase price till AFTER a new boat is surveyed and repaired.

As 10% of sales price is about half of a boat dealers profit , your boat gets priority in the repair dept.

You can do that as long as it's listed in the loan docs or contract. Definitely a good idea with contractors too.

Cheers!

Having relatives and guests invite themselves for extended stays are an occupational hazard during the winter when you live in Southern Florida. I have found the best solution is to hide the beer and turn the pool heater off.
Would there be space in the forward cabin of a DeFever 49 RPH for a shipwright to modify the stacked “V” to a lower “V” berth with space left over for a stacked washer/dryer combo?

Back
Top Bottom