Old 12-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #21

City: Port Saint Lucie
The wife likes the POC’s ability to run for cover if need be. The 57 with it’s optional day head and dedicated laundry spaces are interesting. With this logic I could be in the poor house with a 68 before it is over! On another subject, but along with things to consider with an older vessel, what is considered to be the service life of a marine diesel? Getting the engine block out of some of these trawlers must be a massive chore. Kind of like a boat built in a basement. Is there a number of years that is considered the maximum before a diesel needs rebuild not with standing the hours of operation?
Regards,
Ron

iflypby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #22
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflypby View Post
On another subject, but along with things to consider with an older vessel, what is considered to be the service life of a marine diesel? Getting the engine block out of some of these trawlers must be a massive chore. Kind of like a boat built in a basement. Is there a number of years that is considered the maximum before a diesel needs rebuild not with standing the hours of operation?
Years of life is not considered too relevant. Hours of operation/use is what is normally the standard longevity is judged by. Most well maintained marine diesels will last 10,000-20,000 hours between overhauls. What fails more than the engines are the marinization components and they too need to be properly inspected and maintained..

Old 12-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #23

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
iflyby,

Please get the boat surveyed! It was suggested to me to get my new boat surveyed. This will be my second new boat. After all the issues I had on my previous new boat I will definitely get it surveyed and give the list to the maker and I'm sure there will be a list.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #24
FF
Guru

"This will be my second new boat. After all the issues I had on my previous new boat I will definitely get it surveyed and give the list to the maker and I'm sure there will be a list. __________________"

If the dealer will accept the contract , its best to hold back 10% of the purchase price till AFTER a new boat is surveyed and repaired.

As 10% of sales price is about half of a boat dealers profit , your boat gets priority in the repair dept.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #25
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Remember, if you make your guest too comfortable they might never leave.
Guest do have a habit of eating and if the food is free and the bed is comfortable, well you get the idea.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #26

City: Alexander
I've lived in some pretty neat places in my life, NEVER tell anyone where your going, ha.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #27
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
My 52’ Choey Lee has everything you are looking for except the stabilizers. But they are available with stabilizers in the price range OP is looking for. True stand up engine room and separate laundry area. I can walk anywhere on my boat without ducking my head. Except the lazarette.

Just delivered an ‘88, 44’ DeFever this month. My back was killing me by the end of the delivery. Spent a lot of time in the Machinery Spaces and they are not even close to true stand up heights. My observation.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #28

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"This will be my second new boat. After all the issues I had on my previous new boat I will definitely get it surveyed and give the list to the maker and I'm sure there will be a list. __________________"

If the dealer will accept the contract , its best to hold back 10% of the purchase price till AFTER a new boat is surveyed and repaired.

As 10% of sales price is about half of a boat dealers profit , your boat gets priority in the repair dept.
You can do that as long as it's listed in the loan docs or contract. Definitely a good idea with contractors too.

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:12 PM   #29

Having relatives and guests invite themselves for extended stays are an occupational hazard during the winter when you live in Southern Florida. I have found the best solution is to hide the beer and turn the pool heater off.
Would there be space in the forward cabin of a DeFever 49 RPH for a shipwright to modify the stacked “V” to a lower “V” berth with space left over for a stacked washer/dryer combo?
Old 12-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
If I was looking for pretty much everything you mentioned, especially the big beds, stabilizers and stand up ER in that budget, I’d opt for a Criss Craft 501 and save the balance of the budget for maintenance and fuel. Scroll down in the link below.

1990 Chris-Craft 501 Motor Yacht 4 Stateroom Power Boat For Sale -
Wow, what a boat, and for that price. Well done Heals...
Old 12-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #31
TF Site Team

Quote:
As a former live aboard sailor moving into retirement, my wife and I are starting to look at trawler type vessels. When I moved off the sailboat, I said that I would not have another boat that was not big enough to have a bath tub. Should I look for less or more?
Merry Christmas,
Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I applaud every aspect of your thoughts. You've done an excellent job of separating today's needs and desires from yesteryears.... the boat you're talking about will serve the two of you for as long as possible. It will allow you to boat longer and with more pleasure than one not fitting what you've outlined. You still aren't likely to get your bathtub, but nice sized showers, and although not many seen on boats that size, there is nothing preventing you from adding a small hot tub on the bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Our shower also has a nice seat. Not a bathtub, but comfortable enough... Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Marine trader 36ft sun deck! Has everything you are looking for even the bathtub. Unfortunately my boat is not for sale! ��
The bathtub thing is not that hard. We had one in the 60ft long, 7 ft wide narrowboat we hired in the UK. But never used it, just showered in it. Even the bathtub at home is seldom used. My wife maybe once a year after a hard day gardening. Me never. Showers are so much quicker, cleaner, and frugal of water also. In my view tubs are a waste of space on a boat. Don't let that be a major yardstick or deal-breaker is all I'm saying.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
The bathtub thing is not that hard. We had one in the 60ft long, 7 ft wide narrowboat we hired in the UK. But never used it, just showered in it. Even the bathtub at home is seldom used. My wife maybe once a year after a hard day gardening. Me never. Showers are so much quicker, cleaner, and frugal of water also. In my view tubs are a waste of space on a boat. Don't let that be a major yardstick or deal-breaker is all I'm saying.
Wifey B: Not that hard but not that common in smaller boats. We opted out of one for a larger shower when we had a choice. As we normally shower together that was much more important.

We do occasionally use the "bathtub" at home but not really with bathing as the overriding need. Just a nice jacuzzi for two.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:17 AM   #33
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Not that hard but not that common in smaller boats. We opted out of one for a larger shower when we had a choice. As we normally shower together that was much more important.

We do occasionally use the "bathtub" at home but not really with bathing as the overriding need. Just a nice jacuzzi for two.
Well, there yuh go Wifey B. My case rests, as the lawyers tend to say...
Old 12-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #34

The bathtub comment was a “tongue-in-cheek” comment about how compact and small the living spaces below on the sailboat were. We do not wish to be required to go on deck to have enough space to change our minds. You showered while sitting on the toilet and then had to go into the passage way to towel off. You then went back into the head to wipe everything down for the next victim. A M/Y with its basic rectangular shape versus the sailboat with its “V” shape provides a tremendously greater volume of potential living space for an equivalent length.
I still prefer the journey on a sailboat if the sails are able to be used for propulsion, but swinging on the hook the M/Y wins every time in my opinion.
The Chris looks like a comfortable vessel, just never thought of one as a costal cruiser.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #35
Guru

Want a tub? Go to a farm supply store, buy a big galvanized tub, put it on deck, run the water to it via a hose and bath to your heart's content. Yea yea, I know, you forgot to put a drain in it. Next time drill a hole, put a cork into it for a drain.
See, problem solved.

Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #36
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
The Chris looks like a comfortable vessel, just never thought of one as a costal cruiser.

Can't think of anywhere on the U.S. east coast that it wouldn't work...

In our case, that would assume attention to weather and so forth, but then we do that anyway.

-Chris
Old 12-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
You showered while sitting on the toilet and then had to go into the passage way to towel off. You then went back into the head to wipe everything down for the next victim. .
Wifey B: That's called a wet shower as opposed to a separate dry shower. Of course a dry shower is wet but doesn't wet the entire room.

We would never have a boat to cruise with a wet head/shower.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Want a tub? Go to a farm supply store, buy a big galvanized tub, put it on deck, run the water to it via a hose and bath to your heart's content. Yea yea, I know, you forgot to put a drain in it. Next time drill a hole, put a cork into it for a drain.
See, problem solved.

Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.
Wifey B: Actually have seen that done on some of these tiny home shows. Don't have to take it on deck, just set it in the shower. Mom wanted shower, but wanted tubs for her kids. So, they built a small shower, then took just what you describe and put it right in the middle of the shower. Kids loved it and easy for mom to stand there in it and shower. A cute way to convert any shower to a tub I guess. I'm sure could be done with other materials as well. Concept works.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #39
Guru

Yup and the tubs come in all sizes.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
If I was looking for pretty much everything you mentioned, especially the big beds, stabilizers and stand up ER in that budget, I’d opt for a Criss Craft 501 and save the balance of the budget for maintenance and fuel. Scroll down in the link below.

1990 Chris-Craft 501 Motor Yacht 4 Stateroom Power Boat For Sale -
I think I just fell in love again! If that boat had a cockpit, I'd buy it and move aboard! (Don't tell the Admiral.)

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote