Securing Chartplotter on open Flybridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob R

Vessel Name
Ottelia
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42
I will be installing a new chartplotter on the flybridge of my GB42 and am wondering what type of housing I should build to both secure it for viewing and for security--so it's not stolen. The chartplotter has a 12" screen which will be hard to hide if just mounted with the Garmin bracket on my flat dash...so I'm looking for options.
If you have a unique mounting system for your open flybridge that might provide some theft protection I'd love to see a picture.
One option thats been suggested is to remove/unplug the chartplotter whenever I leave the boat but that seems a bit excessive.
Thoughts/solutions? Please post pictures.
Thanks!

Maybe use a Scanpod to mount it. I had one on a previous boat and it had security screws to make it more difficult to remove. I also made a Sunbrella cover for it. It was still obvious what was in there but it did protect it from the weather.

There is no real theft protection! MFD’s are usually stolen by pros. They go through a marina or yard and quickly cut out what they want from dozens of boats (usually center consoles) at a time. I have my 16” Simrad on a Ram mount.on my flybridge with only a Bimini. It can be disconnected and brought inside easily but I never do ‘cus I’m lazy. I do use a snap on cover over the helm station so it is obvious that there is an MFD but not directly visible.

If it clips in and out of a mounting bracket easily, and you just reconnect power and depth,removing could be practical. We did with the previous IG36 probably as open as your GB. With the "oxygen tent" of the current boat I leave it in place. We used protect the connection plug ends with little plastic bags, same with the VHF.

While marine theft is undoubtedly an issue, I don't believe there's much of a market for obviously-stolen MFDs, such as those with no mounts, cables, or documentation. So, common slash-and-grab petty thieves have few places to pedal their stolen wares; hence little desire to take them. And while they're typically dumber'n a sack of anvils, most are astute enough to overlook anything that has only a specialty market. Therefore, simple RAM mounts, or OEM MFD mounts for MFDs are usually sufficient. Easily-pilfered outboard motors, downriggers, crab pot pullers, etc. might be a different story.

I believe the old adage to "make them break glass" is the 95% solution to petty theft, particularly on a boat. i.e.-lock your pilothouse doors, through-bolt your outboards, and put anything of value out of obvious sight. Personally, I don't worry about MFDs on my flying bridge. I cover them for weather protection and little else.

And yeah-insurance is little solace for petty theft.

Regards,

Pete

While marine theft is undoubtedly an issue, I don't believe there's much of a market for obviously-stolen MFDs, such as those with no mounts, cables, or documentation.

Try searching online for used chartplotters for sale. Ebay and craiglist of full of them. You can sometimes tell from the way the ad is written that the guy doesn’t know anything about the item. They are regularly for sale, nontheless.

I do share the belief that covering the item is worthwhile. Its way less likely that the bad guys will target your item if they can’t see it on a dock walk. Some sort of cover is the by far the best security for the buck.

Back
Top Bottom