secondary fuel filter perkins 6 cyl range 4 eng

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardschmidt2759

Veteran Member
does anyone still remember what O- rings are needed to change the duel secondary fuel filter on an older (1981)Perkins 6 cyl range 4 eng.? I have done it before,but I can't seem to remember what O rings to use,( getting old )they give you 5 in with the new filter 3 big, 2 small. I hope somebody has a better memory than me!! Thanks Rich

There is a topic I posted 12-24-2016 named CAV filters that may help. Can’t figure out how to post link from a phone. Sorry.

To answer your question better...
The 2 small o-rings:
One goes on the bolt, the other larger one goes on the center stub of the top housing. You can't mess these up.
The 3 large gaskets:
One is slightly fatter and larger diameter than the others. This one goes in the groove of the top housing. DO NOT put it on top of the filter. To see the WRONG way, go here:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/cav-filters-29558.html
Use one of the two other gaskets for the bottom of the element to the bottom bowl.
The 3rd gasket is for use on tractors that have an additional glass, water separating bowl under the element. Not used on boats.

Last edited:
fuel filter

To answer your question better...
The 2 small o-rings:
One goes on the bolt, the other larger one goes on the center stub of the top housing. You can't mess these up.
The 3 large gaskets:
One is slightly fatter and larger diameter than the others. This one goes in the groove of the top housing. DO NOT put it on top of the filter. To see the WRONG way, go here:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/cav-filters-29558.html
Use one of the two other gaskets for the bottom of the element to the bottom bowl.
The 3rd gasket is for use on tractors that have an additional glass, water separating bowl under the element. Not used on boats.

Thanks a lot, that is a big help. probably do it today. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom