Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #61
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
As I
travel by my self on many occasion and some distance from home where cell service or any activation short of the big red button on the radio or on the SPOT, my wife has concerns. To elevate some of her stress I verbally promised to ware one of the new inflatable vest, never use the toe rail space that serves as our side deck, to access the anchor or bow if alone. To make that promise good I created a folding ladder that will fit within the anchor locker in the bow. From that I can unfold and hook to the escape hatch which I fit through fine in full clothing.

I would like to add a second concern and how I addressed it. Falling over board and retrieving ones self. During the above discussion the question of "Okay you did good, now in addressing the anchor, you fall overboard. What preparations have you made for that big boy?" the wife asked.
I had installed one of those folding down three step swim ladders on the boarding step. Fine except during a boating trip I witnessed another boat where the adult male was swimming about and time to climb out he used his similar step. Wow, there was not a handy hand hold to grasp so that the struggle as he made like a seal or sea lion getting on the float or dock made me take a hint. I placed a shackle in the aluminum canopy of the aft cover and tied a knotted line that drops down to the water level.
Now a standard rule, when anchoring, the swim ladder is dropped and the line is released to hang ready.
Cheers,

Al-Marben Pocket CRUISER
Al - Sometimes our similarity in ideas of many sorts... moral, ethical, legal, governmental, fire arms, mechanical, boating and Rube-Goldberg-like inventive options astound me. See attached photos.

Whenever on boat for any reason I drop the thick, knotted, blue "pull-uself-up-da-ladder" line (which can also be used to firmly secure ladder in its up position - as in photos) and leave the 6' tall swim ladder either down (when anchored) or only attached in up position by a thin bungee cord that can be easily broken by pulling hard on ladder while in water. Blue line with loop in center, attached to side cleats, is used to hook on our 14'8" tow behind Crestline 50 hp runabout.

Hope these years old photos show ladder and pull-line/bungee cord clearly. I used two full sections of Tollycraft's original swim ladders to conjoin and fashion this. BTW - We swim a lot!!! Easily being able to get up onto swim step is a must.
Attached Thumbnails
TO - 6' Swim Ladder 100_0430.jpg   Ladder 100_0421.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #62
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Whenever on boat for any reason I drop the thick, knotted, blue "pull-uself-up-da-ladder" line (which can also be used to firmly secure ladder in its up position - as in photos) and leave the 6' tall swim ladder either down (when anchored) or only attached in up position by a thin bungee cord that can be easily broken by pulling hard on ladder while in water. Blue line with loop in center, attached to side cleats, is used to hook on our 14'8" tow behind Crestline 50 hp runabout.

Hope these years old photos show ladder and pull-line/bungee cord clearly. I used two full sections of Tollycraft's original swim ladders to conjoin and fashion this. BTW - We swim a lot!!! Easily being able to get up onto swim step is a must.
Art, Same swim step-shorter!! Held by a bungee cord when arrested. Exactly as depicted. Cheers-
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #63
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
When I think of the 1,000 far more likely scenarios for our boat to kill me - including falling off the swim step and whacking my head on the way down after coming back from a good dinner in town - alternative egress from every living space below is not high on my list.

Sorry Kthoennes, can't resist, just can't. Here it is. Have you given consideration to the elevator stopping between decks?

Cheers
Al-Marben Pocket CRUISER
Old 01-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #64
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Boatpoker that is well and good but 18" is not going to work for most in this country.

You'd be surprised. You're not nearly as wide as you imagine. Plus with a rectangle you always have the diagonal. I once saw a man win a bet on a 13" opening.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #65
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
When I think of the 1,000 far more likely scenarios for our boat to kill me - including falling off the swim step and whacking my head on the way down after coming back from a good dinner in town - alternative egress from every living space below is not high on my list.
After worrying about a drunk driver nailing me on the way to the boat or my cholesterol or the myriad of other things more likely to get me killed - well, alternative egress is way down on my list.

Different strokes.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #66
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
I created a folding ladder...From that I can unfold and hook to the escape hatch which I fit through fine in full clothing..."Okay you did good, now in addressing the anchor, you fall overboard. What preparations have you made for that big boy?" the wife asked.
I had installed one of those folding down three step swim ladders on the boarding step...I placed a shackle in the aluminum canopy and tied a knotted line that drops down to the water level.
So many things learned about you, Al, from one little post.
--You are a good obedient husband.
--You like to disembark fully clothed.
--You are ingenious.
To the latter point, did we work on MacGyver together, some 30 years ago???
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #67
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
So many things learned about you, Al, from one little post.
--You are a good obedient husband.
--You like to disembark fully clothed.
--You are ingenious.
To the latter point, did we work on MacGyver together, some 30 years ago???
Why Thank you Hawgwash! I would like to think myself such.(58 Years with the same beautiful, thoughtful,wonderful Wife,Mother,Grandmother,Great Grandmother) And the same is wished to you.

As to MacGyver. I had enjoyed the show on occasion. I was council'ed by many older blue collar adults as I grew up, to rely on one's own initiative, common sense, and stubbornness. The common life's rule that predominates my always active and exciting life is: 'You are stranded in the middle of the Sahara Desert with only the items around you, you must survive.'

That accounts for the supply in seemingly vast amount of Gorilla tape, two part epoxy both container and tube form, plastic zip ties selection. Just to name a few of those tools.

I'd bet we all have a level of MacGyver in our boating inventory!!-

Al-Marben Pocket CRUISER
Old 01-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #68
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Aas is the case with so many safety and survival issues here (MOB, for instance) amazing how few have actually tested their escape route. Even if you are the typical TF weekend warrior, it will amaze you how suddenly and fast bad things happen. Of course, that amazement is the last thing many people take to their grave.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #69
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
More than one of the transoceanic voyagers I've read about or talked to have used a hail mary line during their solo voyages. This is a 100 meter long polypropylene line with knots tied at regular intervals. One had a slip not tied so that it would trip the release the paravane steering if the rope was pulled hard. Their goal was to give them a chance to swim over to the line and haul themselves back aboard in the event of going overboard.

If you had a broken hand or other injury, that limits your ability to pull yourself back to the boat, assuming you swim in the dark towards toward the floating line, find it and can hang on long enough for the boat to come to a stop. At least it isn't sailing off without you.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #70
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Almost all those guys use jacklines and tethers when out on the biney blue.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #71
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
That accounts for the supply in seemingly vast amount of Gorilla tape, two part epoxy both container and tube form, plastic zip ties selection.
What, no JB Weld???? Mankind's greatest invention since duct tape!
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote